guests

Terra112
Level 2
Belleville, Canada

guests

We are receiving requests to stay at our property from people without last names and without reviews. What do you do in that case to find out more about them? Thank you. 

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Terra112  Communicate with them.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Terra112 

@Sarah977  is correct.

However, to be honest,  I am biased because Apr/May 2021 request to book, accepted and went bad due Guest attitude and wanting to change booking from 4 (our max) to 6.

The guest had only initials for first and last name  and gave me attitude.

Decided to cancel guest, now losing SH status.

Point is weigh your options  carefully.

Good Luck

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Terra112 

Airbnb does not show the guest's full name so there is nothing suspicious about that. Likewise, everyone has to start somewhere, so not having any reviews yet is not a red flag in itself. You also don't see their profile photo until they book.

If the guest had what appears to be a fake name, no profile info etc. I would ask them what their actual name is and to tell me a bit about themselves (if they haven't already) and, especially if they are new, to put some info on their profile. I often ask them to upload a profile photo and get their ID verified, if they haven't already done so. I have clicked the option where a guest must have a profile photo to book with me.

Unless a guest has bad reviews or something dodgy on their profile, I wouldn't pay too much attention to that. It's really the communication with the guest that should give you clues as to whether you think they would be a good fit for your listing or not.

I ask lots of questions and chase if the guest hasn't responded. Guests who ignore these questions or are cagey about answering them cannot book with me. I let it slide a couple of times in the past and lived to regret it!