A Memorable Hosting Experience in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Michael9255
Level 1
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

A Memorable Hosting Experience in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Hello fellow hosts!

I wanted to share a heartwarming experience I had as an Airbnb host in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, which truly highlighted the joys of hosting and the unique cultural exchanges we can offer.

I started hosting in Addis Ababa about 4 years ago. The city, known for its rich history and vibrant culture, seemed like the perfect backdrop for a warm and welcoming guest experience. My listing is a cozy, traditional home located in the heart of the city, complete with a private garden.

One of my most memorable experiences was hosting different international volunteers who were in Addis Ababa to work on a community project. From the moment they arrived, I felt a connection with them. They were excited to learn about Ethiopian culture and very respectful of local customs.

I greeted them with a traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony—a cherished ritual in our culture. Watching their eyes light up as they experienced the rich aroma and unique preparation of the coffee was incredibly rewarding. I also provided them with a local guide to help them explore the city and understand the various landmarks and traditions.

The interaction didn’t stop at coffee. I invited each of them Ethiopian cooking in my kitchen, where they learned how to make injera (the famous sourdough flatbread) and doro wat (spicy chicken stew). The cooking session turned into a lively cultural exchange, with guests sharing their own recipes and stories from their travels.

The guests left glowing reviews, highlighting not just the comfort of the home but also the memorable experiences we shared. They appreciated the personalized touches and the effort I put into making their stay special.

The feedback and the friendships that blossomed from this experience were incredibly fulfilling. It reinforced my belief that hosting is not just about providing a place to stay but about creating memorable experiences and fostering cultural understanding.

Hosting in Addis Ababa has been a deeply enriching experience, and I encourage all hosts to embrace the unique opportunities that come with welcoming guests from around the world.

Happy hosting!

Michael A.

3 Replies 3
Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Michael9255 😊

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful experience! 

Hosting in Addis Ababa sounds like an incredible journey, and it’s wonderful to hear how you’ve embraced the rich cultural of the city in your hosting. 😍

I appreciate how you’ve used your home and your cultural knowledge to make a meaningful impact on your guests.

I am curious, what’s been the most surprising reaction from your guests?

Warm regards!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center

Thank you for your kind words! 😊

One of the most surprising reactions I’ve had from guests was during that Ethiopian coffee ceremony I mentioned. While many guests were excited to try the coffee, I was truly touched by how deeply some of them connected with the ceremony itself.

A guest from South Korea expressed that the ceremony felt almost meditative and found a new appreciation for the mindfulness involved in the process. 

It’s moments like these that remind me of the power of cultural exchange and how a simple gesture can leave a lasting impression.

Warm regards!

Hi @Michael9255 

It is such a charming moment! 😊

It would be wonderful to see if other Hosts share cultural moments with their guests. Perhaps you could exchange tips and ideas with them.

Do you welcome your guests with a special cultural ritual at your place? 😍

@Enoch10@Joan2709@Robin4@Laurelle3 and @Lorina14 

I look forward to reading your comments!

Warm regards 🌻,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center