A Question for Norwegian Hosts regarding Tax

A Question for Norwegian Hosts regarding Tax

Any fellow Norwegian hosts on here? Just filling in my Tax Return for 2019 and am finding the rules regarding tax and airbnb income a little confusing. I rented out a room in my own house last summer on a night-by-night basis for guests tourists wishing to visit Preikestolen. I am assuming that the rental income has to be declared but not sure where on the tax return form to declare it, or whether I have to declare it at all. Can anyone advise? Thanks.

3 Replies 3
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@John2654 

As far as I can remember, all short term rental income is now taxable, even a bedsit in your own home.

I did my tax return yesterday, I believe you would need to file it under domestic holiday home rental and fill in and file the 1019 form for holiday rental "utenom næring". You are only taxable for the net amount, so make sure you deduct all relevant expenses like electricity, insurance, rubbish collection, property tax etc. but only for the period it has actually been rented.

@Marit-Anne0Thanks. It's only a room in my house that I rent out and to be honest I am finding all the tax stuff to be a real pain and at the end of the day not worth the hassle. I think next year I will scale down and stop renting out once I reach the 10,000kr threshold.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@John2654  it is not all that bad if you make a spredsheet with all the figures. As I had my spreadsheet prepared, it took 30 minutes max. And once you have the spreadsheet made, you have the template for next year. Happy tax return😆 I expect this season to be very meagre, so next year you can file for a loss...