A new way for guests to show you appreciation and encouragement

Airbnb
Official Account

A new way for guests to show you appreciation and encouragement

Hello everyone,

During this challenging time, we want to rekindle connections within our community and evoke memories of travel. Many guests have also asked for ways to support their favorite hosts. We’re delighted to share a new way for eligible guests to show appreciation or encouragement by sending personalized cards to past hosts who provided excellent hospitality during a stay or an Airbnb Experience. There is also an option to add a financial contribution that goes entirely to the host; Airbnb will not charge any fees.

How does this work?

There will be two parts to this program. 

The main part will be giving past guests the ability to send a virtual card with a personal message to prior hosts from stays or Airbnb Experiences they've rated 4 or 5 stars. In the coming weeks, eligible guests will receive an email from Airbnb informing them the feature is available. We hope these cards will make hosts smile, and bring a little joy to the guests, too. Here’s an example of a few cards hosts may receive.

LandingPage_Header_EN_2x.png

The second part is that guests can attach an optional financial contribution to their card. 100% of the guests’ contribution goes directly to the host. Please note that the guests will not see any personal or financial information about the host other than their name, location, and dates of the past stay or experience. 

We heard from some hosts that they were concerned about the financial contribution element, so we've updated the program so hosts can opt-out of future contributions by going to their payments settings and turning the ‘allow contributions’ toggle to ‘off’. If a host receives a contribution they do not wish to keep, they have the option to donate an equal value to nonprofits, including those that are supporting COVID-19 responders. If hosts choose to decline future contributions, they may still receive cards if guests choose to send them. 

For more information - including how to automatically opt-out of future contributions, refer to our Help page

- Airbnb

*Have you received a card from a past guest? Share your story below!*

140 Replies 140

@Stephanie I think these were made with great intentions and the designs look very cool too, but I see very little amount of guests using these. First of all, true or not, many guests see hosts as worse than human right now, just look at the forums. They are also probably struggling, so the last person they are thinking of is a host from months or years ago.

We've seen most of our guests for one stay so there is not much in terms of a relationship there. I almost see it working better in reverse. Without promoting spam, I may want to send one to a past guest, maybe I could include a discount along with my kind words in hope the may come visit again. Or if they canceled due to covid, it may keep my place top of mind.

@Juan63 

First of all, true or not, many guests see hosts as worse than human right now, just look at the forums.

That makes me, as a host - really angry. Not only are we being victimised by the ill-thought ever changing EC policy, whims of Airbnb and their misleading PR stunts it is they too who are partisan in promoting this anger in guests. It would be  a far happier place if we, the hosts were in control as it should be.

At every opportunity I state to my guests exactly how things work. When they understand the facts they view hosts in a far different light.

"...our intention to connect those strong relationships you all have built with your hosts and guests'.  Airbnb = helicopter parent.

For the love, just don't. Leave us the heck alone. Please.

@Stephanie  

"...our intention to connect those strong relationships you all have built with your hosts and guests."

It isn't any of Airbnb's business, IMO, to meddle in the relationships between hosts and their guests, no matter what the supposedly noble intention. That is our private business, our private relationships that we forge with our guests.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Stephanie 

while I appreciate that airbnb wants to do something positive in this difficult situation, I believe the entire idea is totally wrong.

First of all, the result of going around with the begging bowl will be close to nothing – forget it.

Second, many guests are now in financial hardship themselves. They may have lost their job or may even have lost loved ones to corona, and now they are being asked to help host? In their way of thinking it will be:

• What? I'm trying to survive myself, can't pay my rent and now airbnb is asking me to support property owners?

And third guests may get this initiative completely into the wrong throat as we say in Germany. They may think:

• Why is aribnb asking us to support hosts, why isn't airbnb supporting them, they are the multi billion Dollar company.

With this initiative airbnb is ruining their image in relation to their guest base and You will get a lot of negative feedback.

Stefanie, don't do it at all. This is the worst idea I have ever seen from airbnb.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Ute42 ,

Thank your for your breakdown of feedback. If I can just reiterate, there are hosts and guests that want to do this and those that do not so we wanted to offer it for those who want to do it. Any hosts or guests that don't want to ask for a donation may simple send the card, or not engage with the initiative at all.

Many thanks again,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie  

I understand that we can opt out from the program, it's been mentioned several times.

The point is if we don't opt out Your email will go out to all of the guests and amongst them there are people just trying to survive. They may need help themselves and You don't know who they are and we don't know who they are.

It becomes more and more obvious that the real problem at airbnb is their management. One wrong decision following the other.

The person who came up with the idea to ask guests for money should get fired.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Ute42 

The original idea is a really positive one and actually came from hosts and guests asking for ways to reach out during these awful times, both with or without the donate option. During these hard times, the focus of this program is to bring a little bit of positivity to those who want to take part and as I've said before this is completely optional for all guests.

To add, at during these hard times in particular, calling for someone to be fired is really not necessary.

Thanks,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie  

There are hosts out there with 52 listings and 4350 Reviews. I recently did a calculation on this very host and came up with the fact, that he must have generated a total of 1.8 Million USD in revenue through airbnb. And this host was telling us on the CC that all he has left is $3000 in his bankaccount and he can't pay his rents anymore.

This host will not opt out.

And now 4350 guests will get an email to leave a donation for this wannabe millionaire.

Don't You see that this will generate negative feelings?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Airbnb Stephanie

Thanks for sharing this initiative. I don't have an issue with the cards.

The concept of asking guests to subsidise our Airbnb business by sending us money is for me morally repugnant.

The vast majority are struggling now financially and it is not fair to ask guest to put their hands in their wallets to support our business however much they enjoyed their stay.

I agree if you are going to do this then at least have it set up so you can choose whether to a) turn it on for cards of b) for the minority of hosts who want to ask guests for money there is a separate function to turn this on.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Stephanie 

Steph you can see where hosts sentiments are going here!

Take this back to the backroom boys and get them to remove any evidence of this 'donation' thing. Really it is insulting!

How can I describe it in a way that you won't zap it!

It's a bit like that dinner party where the dog farts under the table....everyone tries to pretend it didn't happen and they just want that moment to be over.

I am somewhat appalled that rational people would come up with something like this. 

Can you imagine British Airways asking their previous paying passengers for a donation to help the baggage handlers, the maintenance staff over this current crisis.

Having morons dream up things like this is one thing, having hierarchy approve it is another altogether. 

Steph, what started out as a great idea, hold out our hands to one another around the world with some nice words of thought, has ended up like the line up at the Salvation Army soup kitchen!  

Please tell them to get this donation thing off the agenda before too many of our respected guests get to see it!

Cheers.....Rob

@Airbnb 

Hey, is there an invite link to the meeting?

@Stephanie

How many hosts and guests were asked if they want to participate, exactly? Certainly, very few of the hosts who participated in the recent "Opt Out Of Guest Contributions" thread were in favour of it going ahead, in any form.

And while some hosts may indeed feel it's appropriate to ask past guests for charitable contributions, their guests may actually be highly offended and/or insulted at even being asked - and many, many will be - regardless of the fact that the contributions are optional.

This is a PR disaster waiting to happen. The media is already chomping at the bit for juicy Airbnb scandal, they'll have an absolute field day when guests start running to them with the story that Airbnb is asking them to subsidise their hosts. It doesn't matter if it's only a small part of the programme, or that the few hosts who realise it exists will opt out from the begging letters in time - what matters is that it exists at all, and that's enough to do irreparable damage, not only to the reputation of the company, but sadly, to the reputations of all Airbnb hosts as well. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey everyone, 

Steph is on lunch, so I just wanted to get back here to you as I've read your feedback. 

I would like to say it is really nice to see that several of you are supportive of this program. It's great to see and I look forward to hearing more from you on how you find it once it's fully live. 

I also want to thank you for all the great feedback you gave on the opt-out function. An 'opt-out of future contritions button' was added because of the community feedback. You are now able to decide if you want to allow contributions and it's in your control.

I know most of the focus in the comments so far has been on the contributions part, but we are potentially losing sight of the main event here which is showing care and kindness through a short message. Many of you may already communicate with your guests in your own way (which is fantastic) and so your guests won't need this tool, but for everyone else this is a little helping hand (with some jazzy images)! 

Many of you know I've been here in the CC since the beginning of time (I've got a few more wrinkles now) and I remember a program similar to this, where hosts could send holiday cards for guests. This was really loved by many community members (I still see comments popping up about this) and so hopefully these cards will have a similar impact.  

I know many of you are anxious and have questions (which we are always open for) and the natural thing is to not want to bother your past guests at this time. It's completely understandable, I feel awkward in many situations and so understand your concerns, but as a guest I'm looking forward to sending some cards to those hosts who I continue to think very fondly of and I want to know that they are doing ok. 

I would ask all to give it an opportunity and keep an open mind. As Steph said, we will be running a listening session to walk you through it. Once the date/time is finalised, we will send around information to you all.

Thank you,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Stephanie  The closest precedent I can think of here is not looking good, In 2013 and 2014, Wal-Mart got some seriously bad press when word got around on social media that some of its stores were asking for canned-food donations for their own staff. The corporation defended the practice with some "community spirit" hogwash, but  overwhelming consensus was that this only underscored how appalling it was that the world's largest corporation was paying its workers so little that they couldn't even afford food.

If @Airbnb proceeds with this plan, it will be ridiculed in much the same way, even though hosts are not employees. Even the most subtle hint to your customers that they should treat property owners as a charity is outrageous and tone-deaf. It's not enough to just allow the tiny minority of hosts who find the settings to "opt out"; this request for donations needs to be removed altogether. If people enjoy the opportunity to send a one-click greeting card, that's fine - although when hosts and guests have formed a genuine connection lasting beyond a stay, they don't need Airbnb to go inserting itself into it. This does not read as any more an expression of "community spirit" than the food drives at Wal-Mart; rather, it looks like a shameless excuse to keep previous customers interacting with the Brand even while they're not planning trips. And what's bad for the brand is also bad for the hosts who are invested in it.

One good thing should come out of this, though. Stephanie, I'm happy that you said:

"The main part will be giving past guests the ability to send a virtual card with a personal message to prior hosts from stays or Airbnb Experiences they've rated 4 or 5 stars."

That sounds an awful lot like an admission that, from guests' perspective, 4 stars is a very positive rating. So why, then, are hosts still getting warnings and threats when they receive 4 stars? 

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Robin4 

Thats a really great idea you have of sending your past guests a REAL CARD Robin, and using their real address.

Airbnb PREVENT those details displaying, even in their booking details. Other platforms don't, but @Robin4 You've been hosting here for a lot longer than I/we have, so at some point obtaining real addresses would have been flagged as an issue for you. Us novices tend(ed) to believe in 'some' partnership arrangement where theres some trust involved. Evidently, Guests can be trusted with Hosts' addresses, their keys, access codes, facilities.... but Hosts can't even be trusted with a Guests' address. Lesson learnt!

I too, would like to do that @Robin4 , not by some ridiculous spammy looking email, but a REAL card, posted, with a stamp and handwritten. A thing of value. What do you think might be the chances of me getting my past guests' addresses from Airbnb for that purpose? just so that I can get in quick before they get a &%$*£g begging email? If guests want to, they can already contact me, and have.

Why is it a constant battle with Airbnb?