Abuse reviews, here we go again!

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

Abuse reviews, here we go again!

Airbnb have stated they are going to take affirmative action against abuse reviews in relation to their party ban policy!

Well there you go, a bit more 'froth and bubble'! Why on earth did they stop there?

The reason they stopped there is because it addresses the only review abuse option that could impact on Airbnb itself, it does nothing to address review abuse options which could affect nearly all of us hosts on a day to day basis. 

1/......The guest stay has commenced, the guest cancels and wants a full refund which the host does not want to grant......Bingo, a 1 star revenge review!

2/.....The host lodges a damage claim which the guest disputes.......Bingo, a 1 star revenge review!

3/.....The host requests the guest leave due to house rules violations......Bingo, a 1 star revenge review!

4/.....The guest tries to blackmail the host over some misconception which the host won't accept.......Bingo, a 1 star revenge review!

We have to fight every one of those scenarios and in most instances we will be told the review must stand. The only scenario that Airbnb are now prepared to take action is the revenge review that is subject to a party booking! Once again they are protecting themselves from outside scrutiny while throwing their hosts out to dry!

Every host has to deal with a revenge review at some point in their hosting career. Most hosts like me will never have to deal with a party issue because our listings do not attract party bookings so, we are never going to have to address that issue.

If Airbnb are going to act on 'abuse' reviews, for Chr*st sake act on them for the benefit of the hosting community, not just single out the one thing that will make Airbnb look as though they are doing something positive when in actual fact they are still leaving hosts at the mercy of rogue guests!

Cheers........Rob

50 Replies 50
Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Anonymous 

Andrew you know as well as I, the primary thing that drives search placement is.....activity!

The more activity that is happening on your listing the higher you will show on search pages. Superhost helps but the listings that feature near the top of search rankings are those that keep that activity counter ticking over,

As long as my booking calendar is full each month I feature in the the top 2-3 listings in my area.....as soon as I block a couple of weeks off to take what I feel is a well earned break my listing will drop down a page or two. 

Next month Ade and I will hit something of a milestone, we have been married for 50 years!

I have blocked a couple of weeks off and I have booked an Airbnb  farmstay in the southern highlands of New South Wales for a few nights so the whole family can get together, and as well as celebrate.....they will throw sh*t at us for all those seemingly unkind or quirky things we did to them over the years!!

This is of course no consequence to Airbnb and our celebration of a pair of lives well lived will see me slip down the pages of search rankings!

But Andrew, there are some things in life that I do consider more important than Airbnb! 

Cheers.......Rob

Stewart-and-Denise0
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Spot-on Rob

The weakness in the entire (Super)host support system is  the "Community Support ambassador"

viz "A Community Support ambassador may remove the content and star rating of that review from your profile,"

Difficult to engage, requires bypassing a Robot 

No continuity, each interaction a different CSA requiring start-fron scratch

Typically not home language English speakers

Never in a similar time-zone

NO HOST EMPATHY, like they're just earning whatever they earn and dont care at all really

Marissa160
Level 10
Dallas, TX

@Robin4 i am a new host and had to ask a guest to leave recently due to having a party at my listing. She gave me a one star review and claimed discrimination. Airbnb refused to remove the review even under the Parties and Events policy caveat. Pretty devastating for a new host and I’m hoping it doesn’t affect me too much in the long run. I’ve learned a ton through this experience though so I guess that’s something! 

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Marissa160 

Marissa, I am sorry you have been put in this position so early in your hosting career by a thoughtless guest.

You do specifically state in your house rules that a maximum of 8 guests are allowed, and any additions to that number will result in the reservation being cancelled.....Marissa, you did nothing wrong, the booked guest turned up with 13 others! You didn't alter the definition of the stay....the guest did!

And to top it off she pulled the 'race card' on you for goodness sake!

It is also once again disappointing that Airbnb are clearly disregarding their own much touted party policy statement and, in addition allowing racial motivated comments and still have this review remain despite your objection.

If Airbnb are going to make policy statements, we as hosts simply ask them to have the integrity to stand behind those statements! Surely that can't be too much to ask! 

That said, to your situation, a couple of things happen here....

One bad review in a consistent block of good ones will not do you any great harm. Your other reviews are outstanding and tend to make Chrishina look the oddball here....she is the only one in step, all your other guests were just some sort of anomaly. Most potential guests are not fools, we can see what goes on. Also Marissa, I congratulate you on the diplomatic way you handled the review response. You have come out of what was a difficult stay with your head held high....good on you.

Eight reviews does not give you a lot of hiding room but, as your review base grows and builds up, this review will slip into obscurity and in a short time, nobody will even notice it. 

Look on it as a learning curve and take some positives out of it.

I would look at a couple of things.

The thing you promote in your listing description is the peacefulness and privacy offered and, that is going to attract someone with a party in mind. I would put more emphasis on the fact that although there is distance between neighbours, the community is controlled by an HOA committee and your listing rules and theirs are strictly enforced. That way you may be able to discourage those who want to make a lot of noise and create disturbance from booking.

Secondly, look more closely at the wording of the reservation request or the IB initial message. Don't allow potential guests to dictate to you the terms of what you offer......don't deal with hagglers, every time they ask you for something they strengthen their ground and they weaken yours. After a while you will get to tell from that initial contract whether your guest will be a good one or a problem to you.

Experience is a great teacher.

And lastly, don't expect Airbnb to fall in behind you with support. They don't want to upset guests and alienate themselves from that money stream that guests provide. The balance of probabilities says they will side with the guest unless totally backed into a corner. Take responsibility for what you offer and keep a few dollars aside to take care of the odd problem that may arise! 

All the best Marissa, you have a lovely listing and I wish you a lot of success with it, stay positive, I can assure you the world is full of lovely guests.

Cheers.......Rob

@Robin4 thank you so much for the advice! I received some excellent advice from other hosts so I can’t take complete credit but I’m thankful for all the help I’ve received. 

@Marissa160 Lovely place, but you are making a common mistake - allowing 8 people for too-low a price ($164). Charge $149 for first two guests and $25 each extra per person / per night, up to 6 persons, and your risk for a party go to down to ~zero~.