Account suspended as guest has Covid

Jessica2600
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Account suspended as guest has Covid

Hi guys 

I had a client inform me on a Friday they had a positive covid result. They were staying until Sunday. I had a new client due to check in Monday. 
i called airbnb and explained that sadly I couldn’t get the apartment cleaned and sanitized and aired safely within the turn around and I would have to cancel the upcoming reservation. 
obviously after 2 years loss and cancellations from guests it’s the last thing I wanted to do but couldn’t responsibly do anything else. Airbnb cancelled the upcoming guest and said it’s all ok as it’s uncontrollable circumstances. 
a day later I find my superhost badge removed and account suspended. I call 4 times, email proof of positive guest test and details. I have been promised calls back from the correct department that hasn’t happened. I’ve 6 years of hosting with 4.7 star reviews and no cancellations on my part. 
I’ve asked them to communicate what they are investigating and time scale. 
I cannot get a response, I cannot get details and I cannot get any support or resolve. It’s very upsetting to see the little regard Airbnb has for me as a good host over the years. 
it’s been over a week now and I’m at a loss. Has anyone had any experience of this or any advice? 
Thanks 

Jessica 

8 Replies 8
Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

Wow. So frustrating. My guess is this is separate from the COVID issue... Sounds like the kind of thing they do when a guest brings up a "safety" issue or camera. Could one of the guests made a claim like this to try to get a refund from airbnb?

@Lenore22 Thanks for the reply. The guest who was staying with Covid wasn’t booked through Airbnb, but the upcoming guest who had to be cancelled pre stay was so I don’t think so. 

ReAnna63
Level 2
Fruita, CO

Be sure to keep checking back in with airbnb, so.etimes it takes a bit for them to process issues that arise.   The key is to stay on top of it with them.  Be sure to use their message box or if they open an email chat for you to use, utilize that.   Hang in there, sometimes it takes a hot minute for response time .

@ReAnna63 thank you. They have opened email communication but I’ve responded 5 times to ask what is being investigated at this point, how I can help and how long it can take. So far I’ve only had a reply saying it’s under ongoing investigation which absolutely nothing else. Frustrating and put me off using Airbnb as a booking platform to be honest when they will not support hosts or communicate and penalize the second one of my guests has Covid. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jessica2600  I am sure we all thought about such a scenario when our guest catches covid during his stay. Your guest informed you but many other guests wouldn't, or they developed symptoms 2 days after check-out when we already cleaned the place and new guests arrived.

So, the best is to do what we always do because any guest can be positive or sick ( open all windows after check-out, go out for a coffee, return in an hour, clean, check in the next guest)

@Branka-and-Silvia0  Thanks for the message. Yes I thought I was doing the right thing safeguarding the upcoming clients and following guidelines but it seems I should have not done so to avoid punishment! It’s a tricky situation to know what is best. I just feel outraged that Airbnb provide no communication or support to owners. 

@Jessica2600  yes, you were basically punished for being responsible and doing everything by the book. But... the book is written to protect Airbnb, not hosts or guests. (guests whose reservation was canceled are also in an inconvenient situation now)

I am sorry Airbnb treats you the way they do but I am not surprised 😞 I hope your listing will be back soon

@Branka-and-Silvia0

thank you again! I hope so too!