Additional cleaning required

Karl1128
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Additional cleaning required

Hi all,

Cautionary tail and a request for advice..

I have just had a claim rejected for additional cleaning by air bnb “support”. The claim was for an additional 2 hours of cleaning for dried up urine the guest 2 kids had put all over the floor and under the floor covering.

I submitted our cleaners invoice and a report stating the issue.

I was repeatedly asked for photographic evidence form the “support” team.

Is there a criteria anyone has for a photo that shows a “smell”?

I would love to find the Airbnb page that states what is required in this case.

can anyone help?

4 Replies 4

@Karl1128 "Cautionary Tail" is a cute title for a dog movie.

To summarize the situation you describe: somebody peed on the floor? 

Karl1128
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Yeah nice one…

Yep and took 2 hrs of cleaning to get the smell out of house. We had other guests checking in. Guests had been in the house to 7 days.
More to the point of the story, the claim for additional cleaning was rejected as I couldn’t supply photographic evidence of the “smell”.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Just curious, how do you know the urine was produced by the kids, or is that an assumption?  I ask because a picture of dried urine even a stained rug does not necessarily belong to the person/guest you assign it to.  I guess smell would narrow it down in terms of timing and you cannot provide that "evidence".  Presumably you contacted the guest and I assume they denied any responsibility.  Extra cleaning costs are the least likely claim to be paid unless there is additional damage claims.  I know.  Not much help here but certainly empathy for your situation.

It was the first guest in after the Victorian lockdowns. The place had only been stayed in by my family and we don’t use that bathroom to eliminate cleaning. I was also the last person to leave the house and mop all floors in preparation for the stay.

I assume it was the kids but it could have been the wife or husband…

issue there is we have a wooden lookalike nylon floor so a photo of dried urine is not going to show discolouration or evidence of mess. The real issue is that there was an odour and the fact our cleaners report and invoice was not enough but they wanted “photographic” evidence of the smell. I have requested criteria for what would be a suitable photo to prove there was a smell and have not got any answers from them.