Air BNB Host Guarantee - Claim Process

Juliette269
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Air BNB Host Guarantee - Claim Process

In July of last year one of our guests threw a 2 day party at our flat against our listing rules. During the party, the guest and her "entourage"... filmed a music video, let of smoke bombs inside our flat, threw bottles against the walls and ceiling, switched on fire alarms… to name a few events. During the party the police came multiple times, fire engines arrived, neighbours complained to us across all mediums... suffice to say there was a substantial cost to us in repairs to our property, loss of income from future bookings and irreparable damage to the relationships with our neighbours.

We used a professional management company who took photos of the property before and after every guest. The cause of the damage to our property was and is irrefutable. The evidence was not in question.

We lodged a claim with the AirBnB host guarantee via our professional management company.

Given the amount of evidence and damage that was caused to our property the professional management company asked for an extension to the timeline terms which was agreed to and the process was started and AirBNB were notified of the claim well within the terms. We reviewed what our professional management company did over the past 10 months and their service was satisfactory.

AirBNB decided to close our case and re-open it a few times but recently summarily closed it. The "guest" who threw the party got a music video, party and great memories with one bad review from us. We got a bill for thousands of pounds of damage, stress, damaged relationships, numerous days of work... and 10 months of stress from the Host Guarantee Claim Process.

We had seen it posted before that the Host Guarantee is not worth anything and we knew this prior to listing our property. The claims process is also worthless and arbitrary and can not be relied upon. The damage and details in our case was and is irrefutable. One wonders how and who is making the decisions and via what means. 

We were the victims of an AirBNB guest, but we were also the victims of a poor and arbitrary process. 

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

It is always disheartening to hear of situations like yours, @Juliette269 .  Your lovely apartment was very well regarded according to your reviews.  If you don't mind sharing, I am curious if there was any information provided following the arbitration.  I would expect that any legal arbitration process would have to provide some summary of findings.  Also, are you able to make a claim on your home owners insurance?  I also wonder to what extent is the professional management company involved in the vetting of guests or are they just available if there is a problem.  I am not a fan of self-check in, especially if there is a property management company involved.  

Anyway, I don't know what you experienced was par for the course with all platforms like Air BNB, but it has always struck me as taking a big risk to let strangers into my home.  I have been a guest with self check in for several listings and I always wondered what would happen if I were a different type of guest.

Cindy315
Level 1
Lafayette, LA

The same thing happened to me, I had a fugitive stay at my home and caused over $40k in damages and zero response from air BnB.  Did you ever get anything resolved from AirBnB?