AirBNB is not concerned with public health in Canada.

Answered!

I attempted to book a room through them at **[Content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines through their host AMI. When I arrived this apartment smelled. The bed was hard as a rock and had lumpy spots that I assumed were coils. There were bugs like mosquitos, flies and gnats everywhere. The bathroom and living areas were filthy. There were dirty flip flops on floor. The refrigerator had rotten food in it and smelled badly.

Once we saw the condition of this apartment we immediately left and contacted AirBNB. We did not stay and try to get something for nothing. Apparently AirBNB has no quality control and does not protect potential guests but prefers to profit by putting their guests in unsafe and unclean apartments. Which is very disheartening in post Covid times.

AirBNB’s decision was to blatantly steal my money by saying that we had to pay for a room that we did not stay in because it was filthy, full of bugs and unlivable. I received a message from them stating that yes they did cancel my reservation but NO they will not refund my money because I did not cancel prior to the day of check in. How would I know that the place was going to be such a disaster.

I will make sure to report this to every governing agency in Montréal as well.

1 Best Answer
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Joseph1710   I am so sorry this happened and it really is quite unacceptable for a Host to leave a property like that for Guests.  Airbnb do not inspect properties but do set standards that they expect hosts to adhere to.

In the first instance you should have informed the Host of the issues and given them a chance to resolve them.  It is possible their cleaner let them down and they were unaware that the listing had not been cleaned.  Had the Host not resolved the issues promptly, then you should have taken photographs and submitted them to Airbnb in support of your complaint and made a claim for a refund.  

There are many great Hosts out there so please don’t let this one bad experience put you off using Airbnb again.  Always check reviews prior to booking as this will give you a good idea of the standard you can expect

3 Replies 3
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Joseph1710 

AIRBNB is a tech service company that provides a platform for small business hosts to advertise their places, collect room and other fees.  Airbnb is a 3rd party provider only. Outside of the terms of service,  they have no control over listings. That falls on the host.

The best you can do is leave an honest public review of your experience.

So sorry that your stay was unacceptable.

Actually it is AirBNB that took my money.  That is what the charge on my card says.  If there was some quality control then people would feel safer using the service.  First and last time using AirBNB.

I am reporting to the authorities.  An establishment number was not provided

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Joseph1710   I am so sorry this happened and it really is quite unacceptable for a Host to leave a property like that for Guests.  Airbnb do not inspect properties but do set standards that they expect hosts to adhere to.

In the first instance you should have informed the Host of the issues and given them a chance to resolve them.  It is possible their cleaner let them down and they were unaware that the listing had not been cleaned.  Had the Host not resolved the issues promptly, then you should have taken photographs and submitted them to Airbnb in support of your complaint and made a claim for a refund.  

There are many great Hosts out there so please don’t let this one bad experience put you off using Airbnb again.  Always check reviews prior to booking as this will give you a good idea of the standard you can expect