AirBnB removes guest's negative review for stating the truth.

Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

AirBnB removes guest's negative review for stating the truth.

So 14 months ago I had a 0-1 review guest who left a disgusting mess of "DNA" all over the expensive quilt covers and tried to hide it, left dirty dishes all over and didn't clean up after himself. 14 months later AFTER his stay, he complained to me that it wasn't fair that I left him a negative review. I wrote it tactfully and honestly.

I stated in the review that he was new to the platform and that he left a mess on the quilt covers that he tried to hide, dirty dishes everywhere,etc....

AirBnB decided to remove the review stating it was against their policy. WTF? If a host cannot honestly review a guest's stay, it will only be a problem for other hosts in the future.

I am now so annoyed at AirBnB that on principle I will not be taking bookings for a while. Ratings and reviews are the hosts only and final option of fairness to warn other hosts of misfit guests. When this is taken from us, it sets a bad precedent.Between this action and removing my superhost status over 0.1 %, I have pretty much had enough with this company. They need to learn WHO provides their product and service. I simply feel AirBnB's business model has gotten worst in the last few years.

61 Replies 61

@Sarah977   Yep, I didn't get that out of what he wrote at all.

@Judy525  When one of my daughters was a kid, some of her friends' parents would say to me "I just love it when Z. comes over to play. She always organizes and cleans up my daughter's room. You must be so thrilled to have a girl like that."

Meanwhile, her own room at home was always a disaster, with clothes and books and art supplies ankle deep you had to wade through.

When I asked her why she cleaned up her friends' rooms and not her own, she told me that when she cleans her friend's room, she feels like it's her room and all the stuff there is hers- it was like playing a fantasy game. 

There are all sorts of unimagined reasons why someone might behave differently in one place than another, and leave a totally different impression.

One thing to watch out for when it comes to "good" reviews is that when you read a review that just says "Great guests!" or something similar, without any real information, if you click on the host's profile and then on the review pages of the guests he's had, you'll often find that the host leaves the exact same "Great guests!" for every single guest.

I totally dismiss those reviews, because  the host may not be being truthful or just thinks that as long as the guests didn't burn the place down, they deserve his obviously canned all-purpose review.