Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Airbnb Allows Racist Retaliatory Review To Stand

Julieanna0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Airbnb Allows Racist Retaliatory Review To Stand

Once again, I am OUTRAGED at @Airbnb and their unbelievable lack of care for hosts, however, for people in general.  I had a guest who for whatever reason, (in spite of a special video that goes out in my welcome message), broke a vertical blind off the track.  At first, I didn't see it and inquired as to what had happened to it.  Of course, he denied any wrong-doing and said it was that way when he arrived.  I do a video walk-through of my guest suite prior to all guests' arrivals, so had proof that this was not the case.  I can't replace one vertical slat anymore as the blinds are too old.  I thought I was going to have to replace the entire set.  He accused me of accusing all of my guests of stealing to make extra money.  Prior to his retaliatory review, I had a 4.99 rating.  

I eventually found the vertical slat in the corner,--which was the best case scenario as I can replace the track the slats go into, however, I can't replace the blinds.  Even still, it was very puzzling as to how this slat which has a METAL reinforcement on the top of it, was able to be detached from the track.  In the meantime, this guest sent "joker" emojis and in general, caused me to feel enough discomfort that I did not pursue an open case for repair.  I noticed he has been staying at other Airbnb's in my same neighborhood, and based on the things he stated, he honestly believes he should be above consequences.  

As soon as I asked about the blind, he filed a case, (asking  ME for monetary compensation), against me claiming he had been burned in my shower while staying with me and was extremely uncomfortable, with no consistent internet service, etc.  His entire behavior was so narcissistic that I felt genuinely frightened.  

I asked Airbnb what could be done about retaliatory reviews and they assured me that they would take care of it.  However, once the review was published, they said it didn't violate any of their policies.  So, just so everyone knows, this man called me a "Karen."  The definition of a Karen is an aggressive, racist, minivan-driving, white mom who engages in racist acts.  

"In 2020, Karen spread as a label used to call out white women who were captured in viral videos engaging in what are widely seen as racist acts.  White women in viral videos—engaging in what was criticized as selfish or racist behavior—were shamed as Karens."

FACT:  @Airbnb is just fine with someone calling me a racist person who engages in selfish, racist behavior, something which is absolutely NOT true.  I am absolutely beyond the word OUTRAGED that as a Super Host who has opened my home to people all over the world, from all nationalities, ethnicities, genders, and origins, they're perfectly okay with letting this stand.  

How many other people have had experiences like this?  

Julieanna
30 Replies 30

@Julieanna0  "Airbnb has let me know that my place is now less desirable to guests and will not show up in search as much due to my choice to opt out of IB."

What a bunch of hogwash. Less desirable to guests? Why? Has something changed about your listing? Is it suddenly dirty? Have you sold all your nice furniture and gotten a bunch of cheap, dinged up stuff at the second hand store? Have you picked your house up and moved it to the worst area of town?  Have you suddenly become an uncaring, nasty host? 

What they mean is that not using IB is less desirable to Airbnb because it might take an extra hour or two for a guest to send you a request and for you to reply and decide whether to accept or not. And, horror of horrors, you might actually decline the booking because the guest responds rudely, ignores the questions you ask them, or because you see that the guest has some unfavorable reviews. 

There are something like 17 "opportunities" that sit on my dashboard that I will never agree to do. IB, last minute bookings, long term bookings, 1 night bookings, accepting pets, accepting children, offering discounts, the list goes on. Who are these things an "opportunity" for? Certainly not me, the host. 

That they tell you your place is "less desirable" is outrageous and that they try to strong arm hosts into helping Airbnb collect their service fees as fast and furiously as possible by lowering search ranking, with zero regard for what works for the host, epitomizes their total disregard for hosts. 

You know what that message sounds like? Like some mafia threat. 

@Sarah977  I had to smile at your reply.  It’s so true!  In fact, I think I should be just fine if I unblock my calendar, (without IB turned on), as no one will want to book it!  Thinking of testing this theory just to see what happens!

Julieanna
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 @Julieanna0 

I always check the guest's profile and read their reviews and want some kind of communication with them, regardless of whether they IB or not. I also check the reviews they have left for other hosts. 

It doesn't matter to me if a guest request books or IBs, I still want to know if they are a good fit for my listing. Sure, I have all the requirements set for IB that Airbnb allows, but there aren't a lot available, so that's not guarantee that only good guests will be able to IB. A guest can have only one review that is reasonably positive, i.e. the host didn't say 'no, I would not host again,' and verified ID and they can do it. 

When someone IBs, I check all the info available to me and make sure to ask them any important questions if they haven't answered them all already (at least 90% don't) and have no qualms asking a guest to cancel or using my penalty free cancellations if they are unresponsive or if alarm bells start ringing.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Julieanna0 

Sorry about your experience. I also have vertical blinds on two double windows. I also had to include instructions for guest as they often tried to open them, sliding them open on the track, while the slats were still closed. A few times a slat or two were on the ground. 

Since instructions not as much of an issue, but wouldn't recommend vertical blinds. This was just one of the many things I researched as best I could. I have an older one in my living area and a lot of slats have fallen out. There weren't reinforced at the top, so I simply turn them upside down and punch a new hole. 

Anyway, this is something I wouldn't make a claim for. I recall them being fairly inexpensive and if these are 10 years old, I wouldn't expect guest to replace them. 

Its frustrating when guest break small things that happens. I'm sure this guest also didn't bother to watch your video. Many people will not take time to watch any video. 

As far as Instant Book. I've had a guest who was able to book with a 4.5 star average and two most recent very negitive reviews. The 4.5 caught my attention as soon as the reservation was made, and I read the reviews. This was someone I would have declined but didn't want to cancel. The guest also included a very good message but of course was worried. But as it turned out they took great care of the place and we left each other great reviews. 

Little things do upset me but its best to expect some minor things to be broken and find alternative.  I'm still searching for a good alternative to vertical blinds. Mine in the listing are now 3 years old and if they get broken just going to replace them or find something else. 

With a 4.99 one bad review won't really matter. But guest might pause if they think they will be charged $500 for a over 10 year old blind that was missing one slat. Blinds get replaced all the time. 

PS.. I may turn IB off as well. I was shocked guest with two bad reviews and 4.5 stars was able to IB. Had this problem guest for you been a Request to Book, I'm confident you would have noticed the same behavior that other host cited, and declined him. 

@John5097  I know that hosts whose listings are in places with a lot of competition feel they need to use IB to keep good placement in searches, and I can see where a host who has quite a few listings might find it overwhelming to be fielding requests all the time. 

Or investor hosts who don't really care- it's just all about the money, they have no personal attachment to the home and no interaction with guests.

But I have never used IB and have never been tempted to for a minute. I just can't imagine not being able to communicate with guests before deciding whether to accept them, or putting faith in Airbnb's vetting procedures and the few requirements allowed to IB, over my own judgement.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 wrote:

@John5097  I know that hosts whose listings are in places with a lot of competition feel they need to use IB to keep good placement in searches

Yep, that's me. I never wanted to use it and only switched it on when my listings plummeted from the searches.

A couple of months ago, I turned off IB on one of my rooms as that was booked for several months, so I wanted to see if it would make a difference. So far, so good. The room is still getting enquiries, requests and bookings (I don't need loads as I host long term). I'm seriously considering turning it off on another listing and seeing how that goes. 

There are only two things I like about IB. Firstly, being able to see the star ratings. I know they by themselves don't mean that much, but I have been able to spot some red flags that way. By the way, I can see the stars for ALL guests, past, present and future, regardless of if it is an IB, request booking or just an enquiry. So, I am not sure if all hosts are now able to see them or if you need to have IB switched on for at least one of your listings.

The other thing I like is the three penalty free cancellations. These have been useful for me. It's so much trickier with request bookings if you spot red flags in the guest's correspondence after you've accepted as there are so many penalties for cancelling.

@John5097  Congrats on your 5-star rating!!  Thank you for weighing in.  Sounds like you’ve experienced the “joys” of vertical blinds.  And yes, up until this point, I’ve not charged anyone for the slats that were broken.  I’ve been able to take the ones from the ends that were up against the wall and move them to the middle, (to cover the window), but now, I have no more left.  I’ve ordered the metal reinforcements in an effort to protect the ones I have left as well as done a video of how to open and close properly.

Above all, it defies all logic as to why anyone would bash a door inward when the slats are closed!  However, after reading your post, you’re right!  Why should I care if my slats match?  If someone breaks one, who cares if I have to replace it with one that is orange?  As long as it blocks the light, and will attach to the track I have, it should be fine.  While I personally like things to look aesthetically pleasing, it’s not worth the cost.  (Or the situation I find myself in!)

Also, I LOVED your comment about turning them upside down and punching a new hole!  Genius!  While I don’t have any special tool, I do have an exacto knife!  

Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the time to post your comment!  

Julieanna

@Julieanna0 

Oh great, I'm glad that helped. Thankfully I was able to straighten out the louvers in about a minute. Although now that you mention it, if there is a missing louver when next guest checks in that something a guest could take issue with. 

Guest love the blinds and curtains. When they close them the entire place is completely private. 

This is my Guest Guide. How to operate the vertical blinds are at the top. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 8.20.29 AM.png

I happened to instal a curtain in the bathroom window. I don't have a pic with the curtain, but I removed the baseboard heater that was below the window, which allow a black out curtain, as at night there is a flood light and light would get through the sides. Its also easy peasy for guest to open and close. Before this they couldn't manage a simple pull down blind or simple blind behind that. But guest love the curtains. They can also open them to let in light if they want. I'm leaning towards that for the two double windows. 

Its possible a previous guest simply put a broken slat back into place that may work for a week or so. Not a bad idea to have some extra slats. I would be very nervous if one was missing with next guest checkin in.   

IMG_1693.JPG

@Julieanna0 PS.. I trust your assessment and intuition of this guest is spot on, but I would also suggest contacting ABB and have your response removed. Potential guest will trust you over this dude, and realize he is lying, and will just drift down. He seems like the kind who don't bother to read anything, and its clear he fabricates other issues when he doesn't get his way.  

@John5097  I’ve tried to have the entire review removed, however, ABB only removed his reply to my review, which wasn’t exactly helpful.  I didn’t expect that outcome; i. e. partial deletion.  

I can keep trying, however, I have an idea it’s a losing battle.  Will give it another shot.

Julieanna

@Julieanna0  John means ask to  have your own response to his review removed. Airbnb will remove a review or response you left, at your request. Getting them to remove the other party's review is a whole different story.

@Sarah977 Yes, I’m trying to accomplish this.  Just accomplished getting my review removed,—am now asking if they can remove my reply to his review.

Julieanna

@Sarah977  As always, I so much appreciate your help!  I was able to have my review and reply removed.  Somehow it makes me feel a bit “easier” as well.  

Julieanna

@Julieanna0 I read his review again and it comes across as very difficult person to accomodate. Its clear he broke something minor and didn't want to take responsibility  for it. 

I can't remember your review of him that well but maybe just as well to move on, especially if it makes you feel better.

As host we are constantly learning and adjusting, and more prepared nest time. No way to spot on every time especially with guest like this. I'm confident he just pulled out one of the slats when it got misaligned and tossed in in the corner.

I have great reviews but its enviable I'll get at least one or more 1 star reviews. I have to message them if they are doing anything disruptive, drunk, or not following home rules and will get one star review.