Airbnb Gift Card/Credit Problems

Preston42
Level 2
Denver, CO

Airbnb Gift Card/Credit Problems

PSA to hosts and guests alike: do NOT buy Airbnb gift cards for yourself or your friends as Airbnb has some terrible policies regarding their use.  There are multiple other posts here outlining issues with utilizing gift cards but I think I've found a unique problem when it comes to receiving a refund for them.

Unfortunately, I had to cancel a reservation due to the closure of Denver International Airport for over 24 hours making it impossible to get to our destination.  Luckily, our host graciously agreed to refund the entire cost of the booking (minus the cleaning fee as he already had the place cleaned in anticipation of our arrival).  Airbnb quickly refunded the entire amount that I had charged to my credit card but is now holding the $200 in gift credit that I utilized for the same booking hostage.

I've spoken to multiple customer representatives and keep being told, without reason, that the $200 gift credit that I utilized will not be returned to me.  Why would Airbnb treat a gift card/credit any different than other forms of payment?  

I've been a host in the past and have faithfully used Airbnb since it first started years ago.  Unfortunately I'm reaching my wit's end with this company as customer service no longer seems to be a priority to them. 

Here's a decent analogy that outlines my frustration here:  if I go to a shoe store and purchase a new pair of shoes with a gift card but decide to return them, does that shoe store just take my gift card and say "too bad"?  No, instead that store gives me a store credit or gift card so that I can purchase a different pair of shoes.  I would actually like to rebook the exact same property I had previously booked later this month (and hope that there's not another once-in-a-century snow storm in Denver) but I'm waiting to do so because Airbnb is holding my $200 gift credit hostage.  What's even crazier is that the service fees alone on the new rebooking would equal $170.  Airbnb has already been paid the $200 when the gift card was purchased so they've made their money there.  It seems absolutely outrageous to me that Airbnb is willing to risk all of my future business and hosting over a $30 difference.  If I even book two more properties in my lifetime, Airbnb easily covers that difference.

Am I crazy or is this absolutely ridiculous?  I remember when Airbnb was a customer service focused company but it seems like that focused has disappeared as the company has grown.  I NEVER thought I would say this, but I've actually had better experiences with Vrbo lately...which is really saying something.  My girlfriend runs customer success for a smaller company but that company spends over $30K annually on Airbnb gift cards as periodic gifts/bonuses for its employees.  After witnessing this entire debacle, she's likely to recommend that her company no longer purchase these as gifts because they're so problematic.

In conclusion, don't ever purchase an Airbnb gift card for yourself or someone else because Airbnb treats them as some form of substandard payment.  I'd also be concerned with Airbnb customer service as a whole because they're willing to forego all of my future business with the company and $30K in annual revenue all because of a $200 issue. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

I'd appreciate any responses with similar experiences.  I'm hoping that raising this issue will shift Airbnb's view on this matter as they're risking losing me as a customer forever.

19 Replies 19
Erica1130
Level 2
Denver, CO

Excellent post outlining the deep-rooted issues with Airbnb gift cards and customer service. They are no longer a customer-first or host-first company. I expect this is a direct result of the major challenges they faced during 2020 and into 2021 due to the Covid-19 pandemic. After laying off close to 2,000 people / 25% of its workforce, internal processes seem to be a complete mess. What a shame!

I have never had a good experience utilizing Airbnb gift cards, so why do they even offer them? Bye, Airbnb. We had a good run, but Vrbo is calling! 

@Preston42   Once when I was staying at an Airbnb paid in part with a $250  voucher, I had to extend my booking by 2 days due to unforeseeable events. But it wasn't possible to keep the value of the voucher in the booking - in order to make this change, the $250 value would have been wiped out and I would've had to pay it out of pocket.  Mercifully, the host in this case agreed to accept a direct payment. Coincidentally, I happened to be attending an Airbnb event at the time and had a chance to tell one of the Airbnb executives about that problem directly. He assured me that this was just a little bug that was going to be fixed really soon. That was 5 years ago, and apparently it still hasn't been fixed.

As far as I know, Airbnb gift cards are only available  to US-based member accounts, but based on my experience and stories like yours, I also don't recommend buying them.  Cash is a much better present.

@Anonymous  Thanks for sharing your experience as well. Pretty shocking to me that these problems with gift cards have been lingering so long.  Even more concerning that no one in the Customer Service department seems to have any ability to address the issues.  Simple solution: just give me a new $200 gift card! Airbnb isn't out any money and a loyal user is satisfied. Smh.

Tom53
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

I purchased $1600 AUD worth of gift card credits at a 5% discount to use on the site.

I put in a request for a reservation (not instant book),for a place that would have cost about $1715 total but this reservation was declined due to the place not actually being available for my requested dates. For some reason I was charged the $115 on my credit card and deducted the $1600 Airbnb credit, even though the booking was never accepted. This wasn't a confirmed booking then cancelled, it was NEVER accepted.

The $115 was refunded to my credit card promptly, but the $1600 Airbnb credit was not. It has been 2 weeks now, and nobody in Airbnb support is being very helpful. They keep saying the technical team is looking into it but can't provide an ETA.

I'm starting to lose confidence this will be resolved. This is completely unacceptable. This is clearly a glitch in the system. This $1600 should be treated as cash and this would be a significant amount of money to simply lose because the website is not functioning as it should.

If anyone could share a similar experience or if Airbnb support could provide piece of mind that would be much appreciated.
Thanks

do you know why the gift card balance is not equal to the credits? i bought a gift card worth of £271 to pay for my accommodation, but in credits it only had add £264; and i had to pay pay the remaining balance to book the accommodation. i couldnt find out why. what happened to the full money i paid using my card. am i missing something here?

Same thing just happened to me!  I just bought a $500 gift card, and it is showing a balance of 367.76??!!  I phoned the number on the gift card, and I’ve been on hold for 20 minutes….I will let you know what they say…if anyone ever answers…I can’t believe this….

Someone finally did answer, and apparently the amount was showing in US dollars.  When I changed my currency (by clicking the little globe icon on the main page), it was showing up as the full $500.00 balance.  Depressing that $367 US is $500 Canadian, but the issue seems to be fixed.   I guess I’ll see how it goes when I use the card…

What number did you use? @Amanda2632 

Happened to me as well. I made a booking using vouchers and it got cancelled. Now Airbnb is holding more that AUD 1,600 without refunding the money or providing gift cards. I have spoken to many people from Airbnb who are all based outside Australia. It is ridiculous! 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Sam5641 

Sorry to hear about this.

Can I check, did you cancel the booking, or did the host cancel the booking?

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Neither, it was cancelled by Airbnb and Airbnb is still holding my money. 

Paige259
Level 1
San Antonio, TX

I’ve also had an issue with an Airbnb gift card. I had a $500 that was accidentally redeemed to my account. I tried to use the gift card on a booking but the system denied me because of the “no party” precaution. Super frustrating because this happens to me every time, even when I have permission from the hosts themselves to book. I tried to reach out to Airbnb to ask if they could please take the gift card off my account so I can use it in an account that will actually allow bookings but I have been met with no’s all around. No accommodations to the gift card and nothing can be done about the systems automatic blocking of my bookings. So I have $500 sitting in my account that cannot be used with zero effort or help from Airbnb. Super frustrating and disappointing. My family frequently uses Airbnb but after this experience, I don’t think any of us will be customers any longer. 

Nina1492
Level 1
Pennsylvania, United States

I had something similar . I will no longer be supporting them .

Phil4184
Level 2
Norwich, United Kingdom

So i have just had a similar problem.  My first time booking.  In order to request the booking airbnb wanted a payment method.  So I bought a gift card and redeemed it.  

Then the host said it wasnt available on those dates and cancelled the booking.  Now I have this balance that airbnb are refusing to refund.  £315 worth.  

They have robbed me.  Simple as.  Asked for payment.. cancelled the booking and refuse to refund.

Daylight robbery.