Airbnb Ignores Own Policy

Airbnb Ignores Own Policy

We have been Airbnb hosts for the past 4 years. In the beginning, everything worked smoothly. But recently, Airbnb has continually sided with guests without speaking to us as a host.

The most recent and troubling incident was a guest who made a false and outrageous claim against us. Instead of hearing our side, Airbnb agreed with the guest and made decisions against us. 

We submitted a review of the guest. Airbnb allowed the guest to read it and then write her own review of us. We know this to be a fact because the details in the writing were a reflection of that. An Airbnb Case Manager agreed that this should not have been allowed. When we tried to submit a response to her review, that option was taken away by Airbnb.

Airbnb posted the guest review even though the Case Manager acknowledged that the proper policy was not followed. We asked several times to remove the review, but we only get the run around.

Guests have become emboldened by learning loopholes and sharing deceptive methods to exploit Airbnb. Instead of working with hosts, Airbnb always tries to appease guests. Without hosts, there is no Airbnb business model. 

20 Replies 20
Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

What's your take on this @Katie ? Were all wondering what is going on with this major issue, be good to hear a moderators view on this. 

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Robbie54 

Thanks for the tag, and great to meet you. I don't believe you've been in touch with me directly before, but I'm glad to see you've spotted my new role here as a Community Manager 😊

@Helen-And-Hyung0 I have spoken to the relevant team and can confirm that they have a case open for you, so please do bear with them whilst they investigate for you. It's worth noting that the Support teams are working under extremely challenging circumstances currently due to the fallout of COVID, but they are working as hard as they can to attend to everyone's issues. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Helen-And-Hyung0 

You have to go to your profile page. OR click SEE ALL REVIEW on your listing which will pull up a second screen with all reviews. I don't see any indication from the guest's review that they read your review prior to writing one for you. You talk about being loud and smoking. They talk about the smell and you coming through the door. Don't you think if they read your review first they would defend the smoking claim?

Here is your response:

Screenshot 2020-07-10 at 12.34.44.png

Tonyia1
Level 2
Kentucky, United States

I'm sick of AIRBNB not holding guests accountable for their actions. I've been out $1200 in fines already this year because of guests who can't conduct themselves responsibly at our resort. And of course, when you tell them they are being fined they refuse to pay and AIRBNB doesn't do a **bleep** thing about it even though I have proof. So now I have to punish future guests by making them pay the office a hefty deposit to obtain a access to the pool/spa amenities-which they will get back if they act right, if not, they won't. I'm sick of these bozos coming in here and doing whatever they want and me getting stuck with the fines because AIRBNB is just interested in collecting the service fees from us, not supporting us.

Then they leave you a bad review because they're pissed you tried to fine them. icing on the cake

Hello All, is there anything we can do about this as a community? How we can reach out to AirBnB "management" so this unfair treatment of hosts will be addressed?
Who knows a magic phone number, or wants to champion a Petition to Brian?

Open to ideas...

Gregg

Greg1595
Level 2
Austin, TX

Airbnb is the WORST at advocating for hosts – even superhosts