Airbnb Policy for "service animals" and verification of guests.

Airbnb Policy for "service animals" and verification of guests.

Dear Airbnb Administrator

Re:  Airbnb Confirmation Code:  **

Let me give you a bit of background regarding this reservation. 

• Back in April, I sent the guest a “Welcome Letter” with requests and some house rules.  She never responded to me. 
  • By chance I saw them arrive late in the evening an noticed they were bringing an animal carrier into the house. My rules, state No Pets Allowed.  That statement does NOT Discriminate against People with Service Animals.  This is a Private Residence and I have very Specific Reasons for this rule. 
  • I tried calling the guest the following morning, and she would not answer. 
  • I requested my manager to go over and find out what was going on. 
  • My manager was told that the dog – “service animal” had every right to  be there and she did not have to let me know about this. 
  • Amanda, also stated to the manager that the dog would be gone by the end of the day, she was getting married and would not be at the house, rather, someone else would be staying there.
  • She handed out the entry code to many different people, allowing “Non-Verified” people in an out of my private residence without any regard to any Airbnb rules for non-registered guests. This is disrespectful and reckless behavior of any guest.  
  • THAT NOW COMES UNDER A WHOLE NEW PROBLEM – SUBLETTING OF JUST SWITCHING GUESTS IN A RENTAL WITHOUT AIRBNB OR THE HOST KNOWING. 

I have plenty of documentation of this happening with this guest.  This is against Airbnb rules as well.

• What provisions do you have for taking action against the guest for breaking this rule?

In response to your rules and regulations regarding “service animals” in my private home. 

I truly understand “non-discrimination” matters.

• Number one, I have been allergic to cats and certain dogs my whole life. Therefore, some service animals will threaten my health and safety.
  • My home is Not a commercial entity. It is my personal home which I live in from time to time.
  • How does Airbnb have a blanket ruling that animals for any reason brought into a private home, need not be disclosed?
  • Your rules allow me to ask the guest if the service animal is required because of a disability, and what work or task the animal has been trained to perform?
  • Yet, you do not make the host aware of the animal being brought in beforehand, how is it possible to inquire such questions?
  • Again, this is a private home, not a commercial piece of property.  Even Airlines charge the owners of service animals extra fees.
  • This is not a matter of discrimination, when someone has chosen to make their “French Bull Dog” a “Service Animal”.  As owner of the house, I have rights as well, including the knowledge of how well trained is the animal, and housebroken and what task this animal performs for the health of this Bride this weekend?
  • How does Airbnb check for: housebroken, out of control animals, a guest leaving the animal alone in the house, or invading any unauthorized areas, such as a backyard?  How does Airbnb control the cleanup of the animal’s doing its business on the property?
  • Who is responsible for yard cleanup, or household repairs from the animal? 
  • Then as Airbnb assumes, the guest is not guilty of any of this until I have documentation.
  • You see, If I were allergic to peanuts, I would be in my right to state no peanuts or peanut butter is allowed in the house.
  • I strongly feel that I am entitled to be made aware that a guest is bringing a pet, even if it is a “service pet”.  Your rules allow me to ask if the pet serves a disability and what task this service animal performs.  However, if I do not know that this guest is bringing a pet, how would I know to ask any of your allowable questions?  You don’t even allow the host and guest to work together for the betterment of both parties. 

This policy must change for all concerned, not just one side of the equation.  

Cordially,

Larry**, DMD

2 Replies 2
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Larry-and-Karoll0 

Have you contacted Airbnb Support directly with the concerns you've mentioned in your post?

The Community Center isn't a formal branch of Airbnb Support so we're limited in what we can do, but if you've sent this to Support and are looking for a response, I can certainly give them a nudge.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Jenny,

Thank you for your communications.  Yes, as advised by Airbnb support center, I sent the same letter of concern to the "Feedback" desk.  The problem, is they may or may not respond to my letter.  We'll wait and see. 

Stay well, and again, thank you for reaching out.

Larry