Tactics for Difficult Situations

Ashley1409
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Tactics for Difficult Situations

Hi guys, I just began hosting at our small family farm 3 days ago and have had two guests arrive within a day of each other, one for our RV and the other for tent camping. The first guest arrived and has been going super smoothly. The second (tent) guest was a different story. 

We had a delay in getting our portable restroom delivered so I offered powder room access for tent guests in the interim. Our tent spots are located at the back of our property in our wooded area. I walked the guest around and explained all of this. While walking him around property, I learned that he was currently homeless. We told him where he could access water and he told us it would just be Diet Coke and scotch for him. We have house rules against overconsumption of alcohol on premises as we are a working farm with already innate risks so this made me nervous. I told him we lock up the house at night and to ring if he needed to use the restroom by night. He seemed put off and I get that it's inconvenient and it wasn't the setup we had intended, but I did discuss it with him at check in and I'm not comfortable having my house unlocked at night with me and my children inside.

I asked if he needed help setting up and he told me he did not, that he had a hammock and a tarp he would throw up. My listing specifies tent camping but I didn't specifically state no makeshift shelters so my bad there, that's been fixed. He then began asking how many months he might be able to stay and what kind of makeshift shelter he could construct, what discounts he could get, etc. I told him it would be a maximum of 28 days due to state landlord tenant rules. By this point, I'm feeling quite uncomfortable with him on my property in general and even more uncomfortable about him coming into my home for restroom use, especially during the night. 

The next morning I was out at 6 AM to do morning chores. I found the guest sleeping in his car, parked dangerously closely to my own car and in full view of our other guests at the front of the property, NOT where we had told him he could be. Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately, we ended up with a toilet leak in the newly installed toilet in the powder room and had to revoke restroom access so I canceled the booking with Airbnb and provided the guest with a full refund. The guest left the property but cursed me out and told me he is going to sue me.

SO... I'm a bit in shock and the dream has shattered. I was envisioning happy families who love farm animals visiting so we could share our love of farming and whatnot and definitely didn't consider the other side of things.

Would you more experienced guests be willing to share your feedback and tactics on the difficult side of airbnb? I have made my listing much more explicit with a lot more rules and it reads as a lot less inviting now, but I think that's better than the alternative. Any other tips for dealing with difficult guests? Any tips on how to avoid them in the first place? I use instant book and thought perhaps that's unwise - though this guy has 12 good reviews and I would have likely approved him... AND you get hit with cancellation fees if you don't use instant book and it would have been $100 a day in this case on a $30 a night stay! Lastly, do you guys have people answer any questions or sign waivers or anything like that? I was nervous through the night that he might be intoxicated and either injure himself or my animals or let them out or who knows what.

Anyway, I'm frazzled, sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your responses!

11 Replies 11
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Ashley1409 

Sorry you had this experience right at the start! A few things I would note:

-Your listing says "Entire Home/Apt - Tent/RV" It should be listing primarily as a campsite so you will want to edit that.

-As a new host, definitely turn off Instant Book until you get a better feel for things.

-I would set a maximum stay of one week or two weeks, at least for now. You don't want someone thinking they can set up a permanent camp.

-You might want to consider requiring guests to answer a few questions prior to booking. Some hosts will ask "What brings you to XYZ area?"

All that being said, I think you were just really unlucky with this one guest and don't let it dampen your spirits! Your listing is described beautifully and that's the key to attracting the type of guest you want to stay at your property. Again, I think this guy was just an anomaly!

Ashley1409
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Thanks so much @Suzanne302! I really appreciate the feedback and encouragement! I think those are very wise suggestions and appreciate your insight.

One of our listings is for our RV and the other is for a tent site. Is it okay to have full house listed with the RV? I couldn't figure out how to remove that description as it makes me select it during the process.

Thank you!!

@Ashley1409 

I would not list the full house with the RV as it could be confusing. It should be clear they are renting an RV only and then in the description you can describe the other areas guests are allowed to access.

Choose edit your listing and click on listing details. Under "Which is most like your place?" select "Unique Stay" and the next drop-down should allow you to choose Camper/RV as well as tent.

Gotcha, thank you!

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Ashley1409 Ashley sorry that this rude awakening to the realities of homelessness happened to you in this way . Maybe you can give a nearby homeless shelter a call . They are great people generally. Many Airbnb hosts probably do not realise thast sometimes their guests stays, are paid for by ,or through homelessness funding, and if you ever look in your bins , and we all do, then you realise that many many guests drink an awful lot of alchohol .I am not sure how it would be even possible to prevent or make legal rules against a legal drug like alchohol.I am also pretty sure that not having toileting facilities would make you not eligible to run a camping site /homestay .A rethink all around sounds like a good idea.Good luck H

Thanks @Helen744. There are folks that run primitive camp sites (portable camp toilets which was our backup to our backup) for sure but that wasn't our intention, we just had a delay in the delivery of the portable toilet and had to have a work-around... it was a painful bump and our mess up for sure. That is why we offered him a complete refund. Thankfully our portable restroom gets delivered tomorrow so that snag is worked out. I mentioned that part of the story because I would like feedback on allowing guest access to your personal house. It felt fine when I first posted powder room use but not so fine when I didn't feel comfortable with a guest. Have you guys ever allowed guest access for some guests and not for others?  If so, how do you navigate that? I had planned on offering the house bathroom for showers for tent guests staying several days and I know many people let guests stay in their home with them so I'd just like to hear some tactics that serve them well in these scenarios. I have come to realize, very quickly, that you are inevitably going to have some guests that make you feel unsafe and I'd rather have a plan beforehand

It is enforceable (legally speaking) to tell guests they cannot overindulge in alcohol and I'm okay with responsible drinking but a working farm with livestock is not a playground by any means... can anyone else speak to your experience about limiting alcohol consumption to responsible levels? Have you found it to be an impossible task? I'm certainly not counting beer bottles but I would absolutely ask a guest to go to bed or leave if I believed their intoxication was posing a risk to them, others or the animals. Is this not compatible with airbnb hosting in your experience? I've said no overindulgence of alcohol in my house rules but perhaps I should change it to any guest displaying reckless or endangering behavior will be asked to leave? I'd love to hear your experiences with what works here and your feedback on my house rules in general. 

I'm also not opposed to having a homeless guest, I'm just not okay with having a homeless camp scenario on my property... both for myself and other guests. I think the possible solution to this is to mandate tents in the camp spots, limit my stays to shorter visits and turn off instant booking but I'd love to hear more feedback from folks on this too. I found I came up quite short on this scenario today.

I believe what we are trying to do is totally doable but just need some advice. Thanks.

@ Ashley1409 . There is a host on here who seems to be doing exactly as you describe and is doing well . Maybe look thru a few threads until you find her as I am sure she will have better advice maybe Heidi? H

Ashley1409

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

a homeless man is going to sue you?  

lol. for what???

oh America! that great experiment, once jubilent, now entitlement. 

^ inspired by watching too much Dickinson. 🙂 irony can be too rich for my poor cup. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Ashley1409 

How have things been since you posted this?

Hoping things are going a bit more smoothly now!

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

SO much better, thanks for asking! The other guests we have had have been very lovely and so much more pleasant to have! It has been much more of what we had in mind when we started down this road. I really appreciate everyone's words of encouragement!