Airbnb builds friendships across the World!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Airbnb builds friendships across the World!

In 2017 we hosted through Airbnb, (to comply with CC privacy guidelines I will call them David and Sarah, and not include any identifying photos of them) two professors from the Helsinki University in Finland, Each year they return here twice and we have become firm friends.

Although Sarah is a Dutch national she has fallen in love with this part of the world, to the point where they have bought a block of land on Kangaroo Island at a place called American River and ultimately want to build a Studio and a main residence there.

Being half our age we have this sort of Parent/Offspring type relationship with David and Sarah, and because of my practical past in the building industry David has been eager to get some of my knowledge and assistance. So at the start of last year I went over and helped them fence their newly acquired property. I also helped them design the buildings they wanted to erect, which have subsequently been engineered, drafted and approved for construction.  I told them I would give them 5 days when the time came to have a crack at getting this project under way, and with the help of a really fine subcontractor we have spent the last week (8th-12th Jan)  putting in a bit of hands on effort. David had his subbie help had already built the sub floor and put down the flooring when I arrived.

KI A.png

Kangaroo Island is a 45 minute ferry trip from the mainland, serviced by two identical ferries which run an hourly service each way. Each of these ferries has a capacity of 50-60 vehicles and around 400 passengers......

Chris 13.png

Being summertime the crossing was smooth, there was a small cruise liner at anchor in the Penneshaw harbour as we approached KI.

KI 14.jpg

First project for me was to set up my accommodation......At least I could stand up in it, David couldn't in his!!

KI 1.jpg

As there had been a bit of rain about we set about cleaning off the tarps and the floor that David and Damien had put down in the previous two weeks.

KI2.jpg

And set to work cutting and fabricating the timber stud walling......

KI3.jpg

I had brought over a heap of tools including my drop saw so all the timber cutting in the building fell to me.

KI4.jpg

The Island is absolutely teaming with wildlife and, as there are no predators (apart from humans) on the Island the wildlife has nothing to fear and is almost.....friendly.

This huge Western Grey, must have been 7 Ft when he stood up, came up by my tent and watched us work for 20 minutes or so......

KI7.jpg

And I could have almost reached out and patted this fellow.....

KI 10.jpg

At night-time you could feel a presence around you as the locals searched for any scraps of food we may have discarded.

Over 2 days we got all the studwork up.......

KI5.jpg

The building is enormously over-engineered but, you have to follow specifications or local council will not approve it during their regular inspection visits......

KI 8.jpg

Everything had to be strapped down and braced with metal strapping......

KI6.jpg

Always time at the end of the day for a Red or two.......

KI 11.jpg

Well, day 5 and here we are, Fascia's on and ready for foil insulation sheet and roofing.......

KI9.jpg

Hopefully my days there has saved David and Sarah a few thousand dollars in fabrication costs, by next weekend they hope to have the place to lock-up stage......roof on and walls clad, windows are being installed next Wednesday.

I have volunteered to go back there again and do the internal wall sheeting  when they are next back here again in June!

The neighbours can't believe how David is managing to drive a project like this, and have it run so smoothly from the other side of the world.

It goes without saying we are offered whatever we want when next in Europe which hopefully might come to pass, but we have this camaraderie and great friendship thanks to Airbnb. 

Cheers........Rob

20 Replies 20
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Laurelle3 

Hi Laurelle, yeah when I got on that ferry last night I was running on 10%, I did put in a huge effort and the body isn't what it was 30 years ago.  As I came off the ferry this ferry employee directing traffic movement said to me when he saw the 4 bags I was carrying....

"Your car is not up there in the long term lot is it?"I nodded and he said to me ...."Leave your bags here go get your car I will look after them"!

Oh I could have kissed him honestly, it was that act of kindness that I really needed just at that moment.

Today, after a good nights sleep in my own bed I am back in the saddle again!

Laurelle, I push myself to my limits because...

A/......It is a psychological boost to me to feel, at this age, I am still worth something, I am still of use to society.

B/......That old saying, 'If you don't use it you will lose it'!

I have to lose a bit of weight and I need to keep my cycling and running up. My desire is to compete in an 'Ironman' before I hit 90......and I think that's a goal all men should strive for, and you don't achieve it by sitting in a comfortable armchair!

Cheers.........Rob

@Robin4 

It's so inspiring to see you out there working like that!

This was me at my last construction job 2 months before listing my back apartment on Airbnb.

56751216_2538307826197444_5170681818797572096_n.jpg56615072_2538307836197443_2156213156144218112_n.jpg

Yeah not very safe either. I was one of the oldest guys on the crew but somehow also always got the most dangerous task. I have great balance and the only one who could do it. 

It's a small world! The general contractor was from Poland, so the other workers and crews were from all over the world. The tile crew was from Italy and from all over Central and South America. Everyone really liked me especially the contractor who I got along with really well and they liked how accurate and efficient I was. 

I loved being on the job site with everyone, but my boss who was from NY and the contractor didn't get along and would get into explosive fights, while I was the one helping keep everything together to keep some of the other crew from quitting. 

@Mike-And-Jane0 might like some of what we were doing. We did all of the woodwork but not the framing. As it turned out the building was out of square and not level so everything after that had an irregular fit, which is why they were often fighting because it doubled the cost. 

My boss was always yelling at me it was taking too long but even the arches above every window was different so each had to be hand carved, and this is how it was for everything. 

57104190_2550878234940403_4880260060137127936_n.jpg57164161_2550878231607070_852173038249050112_n.jpg

For me it was going really well and the contractor really liked me as he was always there and I would just ask him how it wanted it done and just did it. But one day he was trying to be nice to show his appreciation  and told me I didn't have clean up because I was going to finish the same arch way the next day. I wanted to clean up anyway but just did what he said, which infuriated my boss and he pulled me off the job site and put me in the cabinet shop.

59328142_2583636551664571_2786145671462256640_n.jpg69271002_2802482069780017_63122958255652864_n.jpg70514171_2840184399343117_6469035352748195840_n.jpg

But I got to go back to install the cabinets we made from scratch. 

78481732_3000424003319155_3477282218072604672_n.jpg71145445_2840184176009806_5542148777109880832_n.jpg

This was just the 5 million dollar house. The other one was 25 million but was for a different contractor. 

But there is always someone getting hurt. The guy I replaced broke his leg falling into empty swimming pool. The homeowner is alway crying about something, but at the end of the day it's their house, their project, and their problem. You can only do so much. Other crews make mistakes and projects often languish. 

Thats really amazing you are willing to help out so much but they look like they can afford to have someone else up on the roof. They may be planning to rent this out on Airbnb as Kangaroo Island looks to be popular. 

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Kangaroo-Island--South-Australia--Australia/homes?adults=2

Of course you will do whatever you want! I happened to find this on Youtube recently. A steeple jack Fred Dibnah  taking down a huge smoke stack by hand brink by brink. After this video he became a celebrity and would go on to  host his own show that became the second most popular on BBC, so I think its kind of in everyone's blood to do work like this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKPApAsJbj4

Finally my listing is advertised as "Private" and I state for them to just reach out to me if they want to meet or chat, so the only time we may see each other is if we are headed out at the same time together. This is really what the prefer and more often would rather not meet the host, and think many are even jaded from past experience. Even just trying to be on time if they had to meet me to check in would be really difficult as there are just so many transportation delays in my area. 

I also recently had an Australian couple stay on their honeymoon at my back apartment. There have been about 30 or so guest on their honeymoon. For some reason though last year the only guest who gave me less than 5 stars in any category were traveling from abroad. But if one door closes another one opens. I adjust and just learn to roll with it. I actually have other plans that may include another kind of listing. 

You are lucky you get to meet so many wonderful people. It's inspiring and I actually plan to be more involved with guest with future themes and projects. But my listing is great and progress. Every guest has loved their stay. Sometimes something little like an ice maker that I keep off distracts them, or it just wasn't possible for them to check in early, and some mental issue as they may do laundry 24/7 just because its free, so not going to worry about those anymore.  

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@John5097 

John I would love to shake your hand one day mate, there is something about creating that most people don't understand!

You start off with a lump of timber and you shape it into something the world envies.

To stand back and look what you have created is something that most people never experience.

You and I John, we have done that, we have created something. It might not be the Taj Mahal  but it will stand the test of time for the next couple of centuries.....after I am gone the evidence of what I have done will live on!

And I feel pretty good about that!

Cheers.........Rob  

@Robin4 That's so nice of you to say! I really was so inspired to see these pictures of you! I feel the same way and really want to get on with some kind of project like this. My dad is the same way. 

Would be great to meet you! On the job site I mentioned, there were also undocumented workers, one I remember was painting in the basement area with the arched widows. I let him open the windows I wasn't working on. Before this they wouldn't allow him to open a window for ventilation and were spraying a lacquor that was so strong. So I think that was one of the reasons everyone liked me. Later the other workers on huge framing crew would tell my boss he had a big mouth. These crews are really talented and the only ones who can frame up these kind of houses, and got alone with them the best, and later my boss would use them and were all friends, but that's the way I meant it, and so glad you saw it that way. 

You have so much energy and positive direction in all of your post I often feel compelled to comment even though I often don't phrase things well. I like to also read reviews from other host and sometimes feel guest are a bit more critical when it's such a great host and great listing. That's so good you focus on the positive! I've learned a lot! 

What an awesome experience you've had helping David and Sarah with their build! It really shows the power of Airbnb to facilitate meaningful connections between people from different places. I love that you've become such good friends through hosting them. And what a cool project too - they're lucky to have your expertise contributing. Thanks for sharing all the photos as well, it really brought their place and your time there to life.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@James3741 

Thanks for those lovely comments James, they mean a lot to me.

Each contributor here is allocated a limited number of visual images and I reached my quota about a year ago, But the moderators have kindly removed my limit because I have always felt a picture carries much more authenticity than mere words and I hope that by going to the trouble of including photos I make my answers more useful /helpful.

James I am staring 80 in the eye.....in a few months I will be 80 years old.

The psychological impact on me to still be doing this at my age is immense. Most people my age are told we have outlived our usefulness to society, it's time to sit in a corner and not take risks. 

I still have the capacity to do more work in a day than any 50 year old I know, and as long as I am still capable I am going to keep on doing it. I cycle around 150 Kms a week and still have fortnightly weight work-out sessions to keep my muscle strength up.

I subscribe to that old saying....'If you don't use it, you will lose it'!

Because I am a hands on host James, I get to personally welcome every guest, shake their hand, look them in the eye on arrival and I get to give them a wave and a hug goodbye when they leave. 

The friendship door always remains open and I have Airbnb guests from all over the world that I regularly keep in touch with. I have made up some cards that I send to each of our overseas guests that we have become friendly with each year.....

Airbnb Friends C.jpg

Just last week we received a package from German Airbnb guests who have become our friends. They went on a holiday to the Faroe Islands, saw these scarves of Faroe sheep wool in a gift shop and thought Ade and I might like them.

We both had a little cry when we opened the parcel to find such a lovely gift.....

Airbnb friends A.jpg

Airbnb friends A.jpg

Airbnb friends B.jpg

My friend diary is brimmed full of guests that I have Airbnb to thank for sending me and it is my hope that, like Sarah and David, we periodically get the opportunity to take up where we left off  when we last said goodbye!

Thanks Airbnb!!

Cheers.........Rob