Airbnb guest scams

Alexandra168
Level 2
Newmarket, United Kingdom

Airbnb guest scams

Hi Airbnb community, thank you for your time and patience with this as at first sight this may not seem like a scam...

I have been a host since 2015 and have thoroughly enjoyed having genuine guests staying in my apartment and visiting my hometown.

However, over the past year I have noticed more and more problems...the latest is a potential fraud/scam. Bear with me whilst I explain...

Guest books multiple bookings in advance regardless that I have a strict cancellation policy (I.e. no refund if they cancel). The guest has a new account and no reviews but they book with 'instant book' option.

Guest stays for first booking and complains about cleanliness (nothing major) but enough for it to show up on the message thread. My cleaner is impeccable so I know this not to be true!

Suddenly, after checkout they start cancelling their other bookings stating their work contract has been cancelled (or another excuse but nothing about the apartment itself).

Next thing I started getting a barrage of messages asking for a refund from the guest. I can't help but feel there is some urgency to their request!

I explain that as I have a strict cancellation policy, as a goodwill gesture, I will refund this guest if I'm able to re-let the dates at the price they are booked at.

Here's the rub! Unbeknown to me, the guest had contacted Airbnb and already asked for a refund claiming they were new to the service. Airbnb instantly gives them 50% refund but as the host I am unaware this is happening. If I were a more naive host I may end up refunding the guest in full, which means not only have they got all their money back, they've also received a nice 50% cashback bonus from Airbnb.

Just had another multi-booker (new account and no reviews) asking for a discount for multiple bookings...advised guest to book her first booking to see if she likes the apartment and then we can go from there.

You have been warned fellow hosts...don't get caught out!

Happy hosting 🙂

1 Reply 1
Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Alexandra168 is this happening even though you direct the refund requests to airbnb?