Airbnb host ghosting me

Airbnb host ghosting me

I booked an accomodation for a long-term stay. At first the host seemed nice and had plenty of good reviews.

However, due to unfortunate circumstances I had to shorten my stay. I already paid for the first 30 days, which was okay because I was going to stay for at least a month anyway. So I asked the host to change the departure date.

According to airbnb, I have the right to change the departure date and not have to pay after the first 30 days, since I haven't arrived yet.

However, the host told me I must stay longer like the original booking, and when I requested a change of dates which the host needs to accept, she totally ghosted me.

The only way to not have to pay the full period is to just cancel everything completely, which is such a waste because I already paid the first 30 days and I did want to stay for those 30 days. Now that she puts me in a position where I am forced to cancel, she basically can just take my money. I feel scammed and this is such a waste.

I contacted airbnb, they said they would try to contact her but I haven't heard from them either since then.

I wonder how it is possible that a host can scam someone this easily? Like, ghosting them and putting them in a position where they need to cancel it even though it is less than 30 days before arrival so my money is gone? This feels so unfair and actually I think I should get my money back, since I didn't want to cancel it if it weren't for the host suddenly treating me like this.

9 Replies 9
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Renate204 🙂

You should be able to alter your reservation without the host having to accept. The reservation just have to be on at least 30 days as that is what you have signed up for (you have to pay for at least 30 days according to the long term cancellation policy). You should be able to do that via the reservation. 
https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1361/cancellations-of-longer-stays?_set_bev_on_new_domain=1657...

Best, Sandra

Hello Sandra,

Thank you for your response.

Through my reservation I tried to change the check-out date. However, it automatically sent a request to the host and the app shows my request as "you will receive a notification when the host accepts or declines the alteration". The original check out date is still on the reservation.

@Renate204 Is the reservation still om at least 30 days? It sounds strange that you can’t alter it? 

@Renate204 are you sure you altered the stay so it is 30 days or more? The stay has to be at a least 30 days. 

@Sandra856 

I am not sure why it is not working, but I am not sure whether I would feel safe traveling to another country and depending on a host that is completely ignoring me and disrespectful. I feel like airbnb should protect people from this in the first place, because the host now has my money already but not being helpful since the 30 days before check-in. 

@Renate204 A host is not paid until after a guest checks in. Airbnb got your money. If I were you I would write a kind message to the host explaining that the long term cancellation policy only bind you for 30 days. 
Also write Airbnb CS telling them that you don’t understand why the system won’t allow you to alter since you are only obligated to pay for 30 days as per the long term cancellation policy. 
That is your right and the host should respect and follow the cancellation policy. Just be super polite to not escalate a situation :-). 

Best, Sandra 

Thank you for your explanation, it was very helpful!

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Renate204 

You must be able to change the reservation without needing a confirmation of the host.

Please note after changing the reservation the booking must be at least 30 nights (which is 31 days, including checkout day).

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Renate204 

I have also looked into this because I primarily host long term guests. From what I understand, you do not need to host to approve if you shorten your stay, as long as the new dates of the stay amount to 30 days or more.

It might be different if you are changing your check in date to a later date at short notice. Then the host needs to approver. But, if you are changing the check out to an earlier date but the stay is still 30 days or more, you should be able to do this without the host's approval.

This is quite confusing. Do let us know if you get any answers from Airbnb CS.