Winter Release Q&A session

Airbnb refunds for extenuating circumstances

Answered!
Carolyn584
Level 1
Greenacre, AU

Airbnb refunds for extenuating circumstances

Hi, 

I've had to cancel my booking due to the Australian bushfires that have occurred. 

Just for some context, I had booked an apartment back in October 2019 (not knowing what would have happened) and due to the bushfires we had to cancel our accommodation a couple days before we were meant to check in. 

I've contacted the host and she has agreed to a full refund (despite having a strict cancellation policy where my refund amount on my receipt shows $0 ) however I've contacted her multiple times to see the progress of the refund but she has not to replied.

How do I escalate this as she seems to have ignored all my messages in fulfilling the full refund. I also can't go to the Resolution Center as the refund limit is $500 and my accommodation cost was well over $500.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Top Answer
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Carolyn584 

It would probably be best to contact airbnb customer support.

They are well aware of the Australian bushfire emergency and will definitely assist you to cancel with a full refund, including all service fees.

Here is a snippet of information that airbnb recently sent to hosts

"Bookings in bushfire zones are eligible for refunds under Airbnb's extenuating circumstances policy.  If you have been impacted by the bushfires, have a concern around a cancellation, or have any questions, including about how to best communicate,  we encourage you to contact Airbnb for support."

Supposedly hosts are able to cancel bookings without penalty during this time, but it is almost certainly safer to make direct contact with customer support.   +61 2 8520 3333 . Airbnb is full of glitches and I can see either you or the host  ( or both) being penalised for hitting the cancel button.

Best to get airbnb themselves to do so.  I'm sure you will find them very supportive.

Regards

3 Replies 3
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Carolyn584 & welcome to ABB CC from across the Tasman Sea in Auckland, New Zealand.

Have you considered if the Host may also be in the thick of the devastating Bush Fires?

Is the property where they are?

None of us can surmise what others may be going through as well in their personal life, or who they may be associated with who are impacted.

Is your claim within the realms of qualifying for Extenuating Circumstances for a refund?

If you use related Keywords in the Searchbox you will find related information which may provide you with some guidance in a delicate situation.

All the best & thoughts are with you all during this unfortunate time.

Kind regards

Central To All Home & Location

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Carolyn584 

It would probably be best to contact airbnb customer support.

They are well aware of the Australian bushfire emergency and will definitely assist you to cancel with a full refund, including all service fees.

Here is a snippet of information that airbnb recently sent to hosts

"Bookings in bushfire zones are eligible for refunds under Airbnb's extenuating circumstances policy.  If you have been impacted by the bushfires, have a concern around a cancellation, or have any questions, including about how to best communicate,  we encourage you to contact Airbnb for support."

Supposedly hosts are able to cancel bookings without penalty during this time, but it is almost certainly safer to make direct contact with customer support.   +61 2 8520 3333 . Airbnb is full of glitches and I can see either you or the host  ( or both) being penalised for hitting the cancel button.

Best to get airbnb themselves to do so.  I'm sure you will find them very supportive.

Regards

Ivary0
Level 4
Republic of Indonesia

I have lost $10,773 because of this policy. What makes it even worse, is that several guests actually have travel insurance and would have been reimbursed by their insurance companies. Last year I was affected by the volcanoes erupting and airport being closed.

I don't understand why the hosts have to be the insurance backup. Airbnb should offer the guests optional insurance when making reservation. It's the guest's responsibility to have appropriate insurance because hosts cannot insure themselves against cancellations.