Airbnb request to speak to a manager

Clavacia0
Level 1
Inglewood, CA

Airbnb request to speak to a manager

They have been telling me they would follow up with a manager phone call for over a month regarding ashes and weee that was left in my home. I had a smoking policy up prior to the guests arrival, I reported this in addition to the guests leaving 3 hours after checkout and have yet to hear anything back. Airbnb has this report on record because everytime I call in the computer says, “ is this in regards to what happened on November 12?” What am I supposed to do or is this just a loss I have to take?

3 Replies 3
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Clavacia0 

That is frustrating. Personally I would just pester Airbnb through every available method. I have never tried it myself, but I've heard other hosts have had success using social media, i.e. post about it on Airbnb's Twitter and Facebook.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Clavacia0 

Sorry, that's not correct. I posted once on Airbnb's FB (was totally ignored) and once on their Twitter (they did get back to me but only after the problem was already resolved). However, other hosts report that this has been successful.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Clavacia0 

In the Airbnb world, things like this are regarded as insignificant. And there's a certain reality here that seasoned hosts eventually come to realize; Guests do dumb stuff. They mess things up. They break things. 

At some point, you have to assess whether the frustration of chasing compensation or anything other satisfaction is worth the effort.

We all hate this when it happens. And it does. And it's aggravating. But really, the only real recourse you have it to write it in their review. Airbnb will probably just continue to ignore it. 

Granted, if they broke the windows or set the place on fire... Well then you have no choice but to pursue it aggressively. 

But ask yourself if you're really willing to die on the "they smoked and peed" hill. I can assure you, pursuing it with Airbnb  can actually make it much worse. And frankly, far worse things can happen.

Best to keep your powder dry. You might really need it someday. 

Oh, and always look carefully at guest profiles and history, and if it's empty or has less than ideal reviews from other hosts, then ask questions and scare them off if you are uncomfortable with their answers. Before they book.

Prevention is always the best cure.