Airbnb will not refund my money, just a coupon. 35 hours on the phone with them!!

Graham335
Level 2
HKI, Finland

Airbnb will not refund my money, just a coupon. 35 hours on the phone with them!!

Hello all,

I have had a terrible experience with airbnb. My house was said to have 1.5 bathrooms.The host said that airbnb made her list it that way because it had a sauna. WHAT.. It had only 1 bathroom, no TV, no gas bbq,  the host took pictures from her neighbors view of the lake. I looked at 3 trees. I complained to the host and got a negative feedback comment!! .  I have honestly been on the phone with 13 sales managers, 35 hours of my time. I did this because they gave me 2 partial refunds. One was a coupon, one was cash. Makes no sense. So I demanded that my coupon was also put back to my CC. 7 days later when it was too late to book on a real site like expedia. My vacation is over. They still would not do it. 

There sales reps have no clue. Half of them actually said it was ok to record them. I am forwarding all to their central office. 

I HAE NEVER DEALT WITH A MORE INCOMPETANT COMPANY!!

38 Replies 38
Graham335
Level 2
HKI, Finland

TV picture TV Picture all week. I complained. She said to turn it on lol.TV Picture all week. I complained. She said to turn it on lol.

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Graham335,

I don't want to make light of your frustration, but I remember when I was a kid back in pre-historic non-cable times my mother would make me stand next to the TV holding the antenna to get a clearer picture.  One of my poses was like this kid's.

Kid holding Antenna.jpg

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center

She had a very old booster box. I even was nice and told her for 60 dollars that she could have a new one and make a better experience for her guests. So I was actually helping airbnb also. Shoot!!

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Graham335 MY TV does that all the time. I live in an area where TV reception is notoriously bad. I have a massive freeview aerial on my chimney. But it certain weather conditions the picture gets scrambled. Nothing anyone can do. It's where we live. May be it was the same where  you were?

Graham335
Level 2
HKI, Finland

Lakeside view NOT. And some rusty and rotten furniture. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Graham335 you're clearly very frustrated; I'm sorry you had such a negative experience. But your complaint here is not very clear. (Nobody here can see your chat history with the host.) It sounds like you completed your stay, and are expecting a refund after the fact for

- one inarguable listing inaccuracy, 1.5 bathrooms

- one arguable listing inaccuracy, lake view

- two correctible missing amenities, TV and grill

Regarding the TV and grill, if and only if you asked the host to correct these when you arrived and she did not, your complaint is valid.

Generally speaking, you cannot be assured of any refund if you complete your stay. By staying you indicate your acceptance of the place. If you were granted a partial refund, congratulations. If you were unpleasantly surprised that this partially took the form of a travel credit, I sympathize but to be honest you're fortunate to have received even that.

Hello lol. I am not asking for a refund. They gave it half asa coupon. I just want my 138 dollars and not a coupon. It still makes no sense why they gave 2 refunds already. One as cash and one as a coupon. I just want my coupon as money so that I never have to use this company again. 

I have only been refunded about 1/4 of what I paid. I am fine with that. I just want my coupon returned to me as cash. Who is making the interest on the money until I use the coupon????? YOU ARE!!!

Could she also cut the forrest down at the same time so I have a lake view lol. Again not pictures from her house. I have to resize them so they post here. Give me some minutes...

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Graham335  I have to say, it looks like a nice place, but I can see if you had a family that an extra .5 bathroom would be an issue and a missing grill would be very annoying.  But, I'm not clear, if these things were so ruinous, why did you not cancel and get a different place?  It seems from your post that you did get a partial refund, unless I misundertand, which seems fair, I'm not sure why should get a full refund for staying at the place and you don't say what the host responses were for the missing grill and TV?

I already answered that 5 times. Idont want more money. I just  do not  understand why they gave me about 150 to my CC and then a 138 coupon. I just want the 138 as cash also. It makes no sense. They still arent losing any money. 35 hours, 12 case managers, tons of reps, dozens of chat pages. I just want them to redeem my coupon to my CC.

@Graham335  So, you want a 100% refund for a stay that you chose to complete, despite the problems, instead of cancelling and rebooking at a better place?  And you are outraged that instead of 100% refund that you don't really deserve, you only got 50%ish back in cash and another 50%ish as a coupon.  

Graham335
Level 2
HKI, Finland

My lakeview, rusted out sharp and dangerous furniture for my kids. And a rotten picnictable. If you see her lakeview please let me know. My Lakeview, rotten and rusty furniture. Awesome!!!.jpg

@Graham335 what do you hope to achieve by posting these photos, etc.? Nobody on this community forum can do anything about your refund.

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Lisa723,

It probably wasn't the intended outcome, but the photos made me laugh and reminisce. 😄

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center

Of an abandoned house lol?