Aircover Issues - without it, hosting not a viable business

Meehyun0
Level 3
Lucas Valley-Marinwood, CA

Aircover Issues - without it, hosting not a viable business

To Airbnb community:

So I want to ask you about your experience with Aircover.   Recently I have had Airbnb giving me the run around to even get a response to my request for claims.  I have two outstanding issues and one just came back with sorry I cannot help you and regurgitating their typical policy statements.  The other issue has been open since June 24 and today is August 11.

Background:  I have been Airbnb host since 2017.  I have been a super host that whole time.  I have over 500 nearly 5 star reviews. My sense is an Aircover is increasingly will not cover damages caused by the guests.    

First case which they denied coverage:  Guest acknowledged the spilled coffee on a  sisal rug and my cleaners tried to clean it.  the stain did not come out of the rug. So I asked for the attempted cleaning fee($25) and the replacement cost of the sisal rug which was higher when I bought it but was on sale at the time of the link was generated.  Airbnb quibbled about $25 and wanted my cleaners to have a business license and a letter head to invoice me.  I gave them their invoice and Vemo transaction to show I paid.  Secondly I gave them a similar but cheaper rug for the replacement cost.  All Airbnb argued about was my cleaners invoice but gave me $25 but completely rejected the rug replacement.  Unless Airbnb thinks I can keep coffee stained rug as a satisfactory 5 star accommodation, they are either clueless, don't care, or is giving a middle finger to you to a host who has consistently made them money without having to buy or operate a lodging.

Second case which has not been resolved was worse.  The guests had run some sort of contraband ring in my house, had brought a dog, smoked and one guest had possed a gun.  5-6 people stayed at the house when it was booked for one person.  They over stayed and in the end with out the police being involved they left.  I had new guests coming in that day but scrambled and made sure that they were received on time.  The new guests complained of smoke smell and I compensated them for the inconvenience.  I feel that I saved Airbnb from another nightly news about Airbnb nightmare scenario.

Now what has Airbnb do for my request to pay for the cleaning and smoke eradication?  Nothing for two months and I had spoken to Airbnb, messaged Aircover numerous times and nothing. Nada...

So as hosts, who cannot be in this business without Aircover promise, what say you?  I was thinking about doing two more short term rentals but am seriously thinking is Airbnb worth it?  VRBO is my only other vacation rental platform.  In that platform, I only accept guest who buy an insurance for damages protection.  That platform pretty much gives me whatever and whenever damages occur without question.

I am not happy about the general direction of this company.  And that is without even getting into lodging tax issue.

I would appreciate your feed back so I can make informed decisions.

Meehyun

MeehyunK
1 Reply 1
Annie1372
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

@Meehyun0 

The only advice I can give you is to contact them daily until resolution.

Do not mixe both case in 1 request, they will get confused. Start with the one that is most important for you

Annie