Amazing 4 stars

Jorge1656
Level 3
Hialeah, FL

Amazing 4 stars

Anyone have any tips how to avoid these. I have received the best 4 star review. Seems like not very fair and makes no sense . Anyway to get Airbnb to remove this or tips to avoid in the future 

60DDB005-52FA-4C79-AB94-C1BF1F58D70D.jpeg

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jorge1656 Some people just never give 5 stars on principle. People have different approaches to reviews but we just have a message in our check out instructions that asks guests to leave a review and explains to them that Airbnb class a listing with a review below 4.7 as one that might get suspended. I can't remember the exact words but we took them from the Airbnb site that talks about review expectations for hosts.

Of course it doesn't stop weird reviews. We had a recent 5 stars overall, great review text and yet each category was rated 3 or 4 stars! Certainly not something to stress about.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Jorge1656 the best approach? Tag Catherine Powell, head of hosting and ask WHY guests are permitted to do this. If all the elements of a stay are 5 stars there's zero reason to leave a lower rating overall. If ABB wants to make this meaningful for hosts they could include a prompt requiring feedback on why this rating was left or a message stating that overall rating can't be lower than category ratings.

Guests do this often. What the meaning is behind it boggles thr mind. We can theorize....did they not get good sleep? Feel slightly unsafe? Prefer a different paint color on the walls? Resent that they couldn't bring more people? Forget their meds and just generally feel badly during the stay? Feel jealous that you have property to rent and they don't? Have a death in the family while they stayed? Have an allergic response to an air freshener? Get stung by an insect? It could literally be anything that led to this rating. Or it could be an error.  Until ABB addresses this glitch we can all but wonder. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Jorge1656 The first question in the review process is to rate the stay overall. The second question is the individual star ratings. If a guest rates the overall stay lower than 5 stars but gives all 5s for the individual rating this message appears:

Step 4 if stars don't match.png

I don't know why a guest wouldn't change the rating when prompted to do so. It is a mystery. But we also don't know how many times this message has saved you or any other host from getting many other 4 star reviews.