Another one for my book....

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Another one for my book....

So just now I got a request to book for TODAY. For 2 days. I have "at least 2 days advance notice" set in my listing. The individual says they are a member of the clergy staying for a silent retreat, that they are solo, that they live in a nearby city which is about an hour away (so really, if you lived there and went for a retreat near my cottage you wouldn't really need to book overnight. And silent retreats don't just pop up on a whim.) The profile has multiple reviews discussing a group of young men by various names, none of whom are the person booking, and it sounds like there were some boys or bachelor weekends, though the scores are good. The profile also lists a totally different city than where the inquirer says they live, but that isn't so unusual. Its...odd. But whatever. I would have this guest normally and send a polite message about how I am so sorry but we would love to host him another time. 

We don't take last minute bookings. Period. We can't get the cleaners there and can't get behind them to do our disinfecting and set up welcome treats. So even if this all looked super kosher (and it doesn't) we couldn't do it and have everything ready in an hour and a half for noon check in. But my choices are to have my calendar blocked, which essentially it should already be as I am not taking same day reservations, or to say I am uncomfortable and explain why. 

My settings are still "2 days advance notice" so I don't even know why I am getting this. Frustrating. What is the point of having settings if they don't screen out requests you can't honor?

25 Replies 25
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Laura2592  These glitches are exhausting. We should be able to trust the parameters we set. I check my settings daily as it is, and all may look good, yet something like this happens anyway. Immediately we are at some sort of disadvantage. Facing either a decline or contacting customer circus, time wasted on it, yada yada.

So, ‘clergy’ yet reviews that clearly suggest the opposite. Hmmm.

@Colleen253 I mean, there are all kinds of ways to be a pastor. My friends had someone ordained online to marry them. So maybe that is true. But this individual looks like they do a fair amount of hanging with the boys. The whole impromptu silent retreat is a new one on me. Normally that sort of thing is planned well in advance. 

@Laura2592 Party Pastor maybe? Pastor of the Boys Club? 

@Colleen253 pastor of the Fight Club. The first rule is, don't talk about it. So code is "silent retreat. "🤐

Patrick568
Level 10
California, United States

Hahaha, nice.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 I think where you specify 2 days notice there is an option to allow requests with less notice. Have you ticked this option I wonder?

@Mike-And-Jane0  no I have not. 

I have it checked for stays longer than my max-- they can send an inquiry. But this is for a request. To book today. There is no reason I should have even gotten it. 

@Laura2592 Have you actually checked that section to see if it’s spontaneously changed to allow requests with less notice? Spontaneous setting changes do happen. I’ve had my check in time revert to flexible repeatedly on its own. It was proven to be a bug tied to making changes to booking settings. I’ve also had my IB requirement boxes spontaneously unchecked.

@Colleen253 yes. I checked. Its 2 days notice. I've had settings magically disabled before but there's no excuse this time  

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 somewhat irrelevant (given you want it blocked) but turning down the booking shouldn't block your calendar.

@Mike-And-Jane0  it did. 

I tried "dates aren't available" and it said "they will be blocked."

I tried "I want a different check in or length of stay" and got the blocked message. 

I finally did "I am uncomfortable" and wrote that I was upset the request was even sent as my settings do not allow for same day reservations. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

In your settings you can go in and indicate that you won't accept requests, so you don't get requests for same day bookings @Laura2592 

If you look at the screen shot you have taken of your settings it says can guests send requests as you have your setting as 'yes' just change it to 'no' to solve your problem.

Looks like I could book your place for tonight still. What does your calendar look like? Does it show the "Advance Notice" banner across the tonight and tomorrow days?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  Your listing calendar shows today, the 4th, as open  for booking. I don't know what's going on.