Any Experience with a Notice of Dispute or No Response from Airbnb Support?

Richard1470
Level 2
Sparks, NV

Any Experience with a Notice of Dispute or No Response from Airbnb Support?

We maintain a strict cancellation policy for a property adjoining a local ski resort.   On December 7, 2020  a guest cancelled a reservation for a stay from December 11-13.  It was not an extenuating circumstance.  The guest claimed the ski-resort was closed and there was no skiing.  That statement was not true and the resort was indeed open.  An Airbnb Support Ambassador got involved and on December 9, 2020 seized our money for the booking and refunded 100 percent of the guest's money.  We asked the  Airbnb Support Ambassador to escalate the issue as we disagreed with the unilateral decision to give the guest a 100 percent refund and overriing our strict cancellation policy.   The Airbnb Support Ambassador responded the issue would be escalated and were told to wait 48 - 72 hours for a response.  Despite reaching out to Airbnb Support on December 10, 14, 20, & 21,  2020, as well as Jan 7, 11, 12, & 13, 2021 , we have yet to receive a response and the support thread remains open.. 

Based on Airbnb  Policy 23.2 Overview of Dispute Resolution Process, on December 21, 2020, we mailed a Notice of Dispute to CSC Lawyers Incorporating Service, 2710 Gateway Oaks Drive, Suite 150N, Sacramento, California 95833.  To date we have not received a response from CSC Lawyers. 

Any thoughts on going forward or what to expect would be helpful.  

8 Replies 8
Vivian860
Level 5
Richmond, ME

I cannot state this enough, Airbnb does not help hosts out. They want money. the end. Airbnb customer service, support tech, etc. do not help hosts out with anything! I would lick my wounds and move forward because in all honesty, you will not get anywhere with them. Hate to say it. Good Luck!

Thanks for the input.  As I am retired and have the resources to pursue this issue I will.  I am surprised to not see any "Notice of Dispute" postings, other than mine, on the community message board.  Will post any updates as they happen.  Thanks again.

Update: In the end ,after waiting 47 days, a different support ambassador reviewed our escalation and paid us the money owed for the cancelation.  It shouldn’t take so long to do the right thing 

Hi I’m having trouble and ready to file this dispute form. @Richard1470 Any advice? Did Airbnb retaliate against your listing?

Hi @Victoria1437 ,

There was no retaliation just a long process.  I would recommend sending the form via Certified letter to CSC Lawyers and also reaching out to AirBnB on their Twitter account.  As noted it took 47 days to resolve our dispute. In my opinion it was continuing to be a “squeaky wheel “ through Twitter, AirBnB Customer Support and CSC Lawyers that eventually resolved the issue. Good luck 

Hey @Richard1470 , would you be able to send which form you're referring to when disputing a CS case? 

Joseph1451
Level 1
Plano, TX

I am a guest, but my experience was similar. I filed a notice of dispute with CSC Lawyers after not being able to resolve the matter with an AirBnB Support Ambassador. I stated my intent to arbitrate a dispute if a decision wasn't reached during the 30 days allowed for informal discussions.  By AirBnB's dispute policy, they are supposed to acknowledge my letter and negotiate.  AirBnB did not negotiate at all despite several inquiries from me. On day 30 they acknowledged my letter by email and asked me to forward my AAA case number. Case is not yet resolved.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Vivian860 @Joseph1451 @Victoria1437 @Richard1470 

I have found the Better Business Bureau to be remarkably effective in coercing businesses to respond to complaints.

They can’t force a business to do anything, but they will bring your complaint to someone’s attention.