Are you willing to be an isolation shelter?

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Are you willing to be an isolation shelter?

Hi all fellow hosts.

This is just a thought that came to mind, after hearing the wonderful New Zealand prime minister today declare that all persons entering the country, other than islanders, will need to undertake a mandatory 14 day, self-isolation period to protect the New Zealand population.

Now the first thing that came to mind was how fantastic for NZ. I also thought of friends who were travelling there next week. What if you were planning only a 7-10 day holiday?

I’m also sure this could become the mandatory norm for many other countries, including Australia. Self-isolation works without a hitch, if returning to your home country, and a personal home/ space.

But what if temporary accommodation is needed during this self isolation period? Not every guest wants to feel more exposed in a hotel. What if they run out of food supplies, do they text the host for help? Naturally!  But this potentially opens up a whole new service that a host may not have factored into their hosting or business plan.... 

So I then reasoned and thought, that as a separate entire space, (the lower floor of our personal home, with the pool) would probably become an attraction for two weeks, for anyone having to self isolate. I also work off site, so have those commitments to also consider.

As this is an initial period for a traveller arriving in to the country, this is potentially a higher health risk period for Airbnb hosts as well. Yes?  No?

My next thought was to then reconsider my position as a host; my responsibility to family members who regularly visit and stay with us (grandkids) and so I made the heavy choice tonight, to reduce my maximum stay to 12 days. I ticked the box that stated, if someone wanted to stay longer, they could definitely contact me and make a request; but that’s when the communication would become paramount, with decisions being made individually, case by case. 

I still intend to host, but tonight, I’m not sure I want to be that initial isolation shelter/centre. Nor the meals on wheels. But things might change in this ever evolving global scenario.

Has anyone else considered this new and complex side of STR hosting, quite separately from long term rentals? Better suited to a hotel, with room service? 

I would be really  interested to see who else might go in and alter their length of stay with Covid19 isolations potentially, becoming the norm. 💐

18 Replies 18
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Here is a link to SBS News article for Prime Minister, Jacinda Arden’s announcement for NZ.

https://twitter.com/sbsnews/status/1238678716886077441?s=21

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Cathie19   I dont think I would want to be the first to host them but it may happen even if were not trying to court them specifically so capitalizing might be a better choice if you've specially prepared for those contingencies.  John

Whilst living only a short distance from  an international airport, with supermarkets between the airport and us, does add to our normal appeal ( no airport noise); the higher maintenance that this would require, is more than I could take on, with my outside workload. But John,  @Melodie-And-John0 I could see it may have its appeal for hosts that don’t work away. 🙂

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Cathie19  the situation may not last long as in other countries it changes extremely quickly.   in Norway now,  tourists are  turned back at the border and those who choose to quarantine may only do so at selceted hotels appropriate and approved for quarantine, and at their own expense.

This is true @Marit-Anne0 ! 

Geri26
Level 10
Adelaide, Australia

So glad you started this thread @Cathie19  as I also have questions about the self isolation period.  What happens if a guest has arrived and is then advised they need to self isolate but their booking is for less than the required 12 or 14 days?  Are we as hosts obligated to have them stay for that length of time? If they are in isolation, how can they move to somewhere else?  And if they have to stay here for example, what happens if there is per-existing booking over the same time period?  And what if they have limited funds and cannot pay for an extra 14 days?
I am fortunate that I am in the same scenario as you in that I have a self-contained space under my main roof and while I have general concerns about visitors who may be ill, I am interested to know how I can manage bookings of affected guests.

I couldn’t answer those questions @Geri26 . Whether it’s even a situation that might rise (hotels might be mandatory) or how Airbnb would handle it. This would need a policy response for any  guest needing a longer stay, interfering with a confirmed and expected booking.

@Airbnb ? @Lizzie ?  @Quincy ? @Stephanie ? Any known position on these queries would be helpful. Cheers! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Cathie19  If I had a separate unit, then yes, I'd be totally willing to offer it for self-isolation. If the guest was there for 14 days and didn't develop any symptoms, then there wouldn't be any worry about the place having to to over-the-top sterilized for upcoming guests. 

And a reasonable fee for the guest for providing me with a shopping list (which they could via text, so no social contact) which I then went and bought and dropped off outside their door could be an added bonus.

@Sarah977  I am lucky that my space is separate and while cautious, was happy to host an overseas guest - in fact I accepted a request from Canada this morning for Tuesday.  My query was more around what if they dont book for 14 days and / or get sick and hosts have overlapping bookings?

The above Canadian guest is a moot point now anyway as the Aust PM has just declared all international travellers are required to self-isolate for 14 days.  As guest was coming to attend the local uni, there is no point in her coming over now - just hope she sees my message re new rules before she gets on a plane....

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Always good to hear your insight @Sarah977 ! Thanks. 🙂

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Urgent query now.... 

Okay any assistance  @Lizzie , @Stephanie  @Quincy 

@Airbnb > where do we stand as hosts? Australia’s Prime Minister has also just announced all travellers to Australia will need to self-isolate from midnight tonight. (AEDST)

Both myself and @Geri26  have raised valid concerns.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

Thank you for the Idea @Cathie19 , Im slowly morphing with this unfortunate situation and trying to see if we can be part of some viable solution not just another empty lodging for me to act on what your talking about safely.  We have a 3 seasons Glamper thats closed for the winter right now that I really cant open until the frost concerns disappear and thats not until early April.  If were still in that kind of situation a month from now, I will be opening it early.  It would work as a perfect isolation ward for those with or those without, were in the boonies and its 100% disconnected from human populous yet 100% connected to the things like power,water, septic, television, internet and completely self contained mini home.  I suspect this will still be a thing and I will be trying to see what I can do to keep the home-fires burning and viable if possible.  

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Sounds like a plan John @Melodie-And-John0

Just ensure you have plenty of essential supplies, as they are currently running low, as panic buying is occurring... everywhere! 

Please ensure you keep yourselves safe there whilst we wait for things to blow over. 🙂

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Cathie19   In Norway now all non-residents are turned back at the border.  Maybe that is or will be the case where you are too ?  Those non-residents already arrived, that being for leisure or for work, are asked to leave at earliest opportunity and all Norwegians abroad are asked to return home.  

We are a little bit ahead of other countries, so same scenario is likely to become reality in other countries as the situation progresses.

I had a pleasant walk this morning through a near empty city.  Even the hoarding has stopped and my local supermarket fully restocked.