Bad Reviews

Sherry326
Level 2
New Minas, Canada

Bad Reviews

I recently had guests who left my suite messier than any of my other guests. Granted, I've only been hosting for  a little over 2 months however.... they left all of their dirty dishes and a coffee maker with coffee grounds in places that coffee grounds should not have been, sitting on the counter. It appeared that they dumped coffee grounds down the sink. There was a puddle of water (from wintery boots) on the floor when there was boot may near by that they could have used. It would appear that they wore a pair of the slippers (that I have available for their use) outside in the snow and slush as they were sopping wet. I didn't want to leave them a bad review as I thought that perhaps I had unreasonable expectations but I certainly didn't want to leave a good one. In the end, I didn't leave any review. Some time later (? two weeks) I received notification that they had left a review of their stay.  They "said" that they enjoyed their stay however only gave me 4 stars for "value". Do you suppose that was why they left such a mess? I thought that both the host and guest had to write a review before they got posted. Apparently I did not understand correctly? 

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sherry326  All reviews are published, wheher both parties write one or not. If only one is submitted, it will appear 14 days after check-out. If both submit reviews, they will be posted soon after both are received. 14 days is the cut-off to leave a review.

Please review your guests- this is how you let other hosts know how it was to host these guests. Don't think of reviews as good or bad, just as honest. Don't shy away from saying things like that there was more than average cleaning time required after the guests checked out, if that's true (But I'd save a comment like that for a real mess, not just some coffee grounds spilled). You can mention positive things about your experience with them as well as negative. I'm sure you would like to know whether a guest was acceptable before approving their booking- if other hosts don't leave honest reviews, you'd never know. Please do the same.

As far as the mess these guests left- it doesn't sound extreme. Some people are messier than others, some leave it immaculate, some don't. It usually balances out and we can't be too nit-picky, just as we wouldn't want guests to have an expectation of absolute perfection of us, as hosts. If there are specific things you want guests to do before checking out, like make sure they've washed all their dishes and wiped the countertops, you have to be specific about this in your house rules, house manual, etc. What one person considers an okay clean-up job, another wouldn't- you can't just rely on them all being respectful.

Personally, I couldn't care less if a guest leaves toothpaste spatters all over the mirror and the bathroom counter, for instance- I'm going to wash it all down anyway. 

As for the value rating, don't concern yourself- some guests wouldn't consider anything good value unless you gave it to them for free.