Being sued by host

Sabrina1092
Level 2
Bartlett, TN

Being sued by host

We rented an Airbnb last month, found bed bugs that were verified by Airbnb. I left a review and now the host is suing me. She’s had the tv show People’s Court hounding me to come on the show and fight the defamation case she’s brought against me. Does anyone have any advice on handling this. I was told today by anAirbnb rep to remove the review and she would drop the lawsuit. I feel if I remove the review she will not address her bug issue and others will fall prey. She originally left me a glowing review but then changed her review and claimed I lied for a refund, which I didn’t get, with the exception of a cleaning fee that was refunded. 

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sabrina1092 It is not possible to change a review once it is published. All the host could do was delete her review of you.

@Mike-And-Jane0  the one who left the review can ask airbnb to remove it and they will, no questions asked

@Sabrina1092 claming bedbugs in the apartmentl it is a very well known and common  fraud to extort a refund. I experienced it myself last summer when a young couple tried to get a refund based on an imaginary bedbugs and a photo of some fluff on the sheet. It costed me a lot of time and I had to call and pay for an exterminator to prove they are lying. They were not refunded and ABB declined their claim but they left a retaliatory review and 1* rating. 

If I would come to the infected place I would contact the host right away and ask him to come and see it by himself. Then I would ask him for a refund and would cancel my reservation and book somewhere else. Did you do the same or you stayed till the end and then asked for a refund? Did you take any pictures? 

Wow!! I do know as a host there are guests who are fraudulent but the pictures are definitely bed bugs!! 

this is the problem with hosts living so far from their AIRBNB. How on earth can you look after it properly?

I would never do that! 

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Sabrina1092  I’ve read your review and the host’s response. The host stated that an exterminator came out, said there were no bedbugs, and presented the report to AirBnB. Personally, I’m more inclined to believe the exterminator who was there in person vs. an AirBnB rep who only saw a picture. Yet, even here, you’re still stating the host needs to address the bug issue, which she did! All of the host’s other reviews are glowing and I wouldn’t have an issue staying at her home.

I know this is in hindsight, but it really would have been courteous if you had reached out to the host first about any issues and this would have not escalated to where it is today. In my humble opinion, based on the exterminator’s report, I feel you should remove the negative review.

Sabrina1092
Level 2
Bartlett, TN

This isn’t lint461F6565-754A-4F5E-A70E-B206C13FCF51.jpegC735CFEC-F336-47C7-81A2-22E2C1411DE8.jpeg

Sabrina1092
Level 2
Bartlett, TN

Yes, her reviews were glowing, which is why we stayed. I think someone before us brought them in. The neighbors came over and were taking with us. They were talking about the people that had stayed before us made a huge mess, they said they were very nasty and had left garage strewn everywhere. Later that night, when the bugs were discovered, my thoughts jumped back to that remark the neighbors had made and I immediately assumed it came from them. Since the owner Ed don’t even live in the same state as this rental, they’re not there to inspect things for themselves. 
Her response to my review included several untruths. She mentioned I contacted her about a wasp, no, I contacted her because the screen door wasn’t connected, just leaving against the house. I let her know about it, to see where I could store it for safe keeping. I said I would have fixed it but there was a wasps nest in the track and I’m allergic. She told me what to do with it and let me know they had a wild bunch there before me and she guessed the door was overlooked by the cleaners. 
I didn’t contact her when the bugs were found because on the chat feature it said it was late( not sure of the exact wording it was an extremely stressful situation) Airbnb was 24/7 so I contacted them. After they reviewed the pictures, they said to leave, as they were bed bugs. It was 3 am, I was in a small mountain town, that I was unfamiliar with along with no sleep because of the previous night of not sleeping, so I didn’t contact her till that afternoon. We threw everything we brought with us away and went to a hotel close to home. I asked for the exterminator report, because I didn’t want the expense of treating 2 homes, part of our party left before these were discovered. Never at any time, was I offered proof. She’s texted and called me so many times but she will not send me the report. She had the pictures, and knew all this before my review. So what she’s claiming in her response back to me isn’t 100%

Sabrina1092
Level 2
Bartlett, TN

Also, at no time did we ask the host for a refund! She’s stated we received one, we were given cleaning fee back from Airbnb we never asked for one from her. I knew she was going to have to hire an exterminator and didn’t want to cause financial distress for her. Please don’t limp me in with your experience of fraudulent claims for a refund. I didn’t get nor ask for one. I’m honestly asking to see if anyone has had experience with being sued over an honest, verifiable review.