Believe it or not--I actually got the 25% refund today!

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

Believe it or not--I actually got the 25% refund today!

Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 8.22.29 AM.jpegI woke up to an email from Airbnb this morning, saying that they scheduled my Covid-19 policy refund payment.  It is also showing under my April earnings on my dashboard.   Funny thing is, I have a moderate cancellation policy.  Not complaining...go figure!   😉

59 Replies 59
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ann489 This is good to hear. Even under a moderate cancellation policy if the cancellation was late enough you would get something. Do you remember how long before check in they cancelled?

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Good news, @Ann489. And thanks for sharing. 

@Ann489 Congratulations!!! I only received the Super-host picture award. Still something to enjoy in these hard times.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Great to hear @Ann489! There should be a bit of a push on these payouts now - even if it's just their usual superficial, scatter-gun approach. Reporters and journos from major media outlets around the world have been contacting them and asking for responses to articles they've been putting together on Airbnb's whole COVID refund protocol and implementation, on foot on thousands of complaints brought to them by hosts and guests alike. There's nothing like a bit of media interest to focus a company’s attention and get things moving along :)) 

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Ann489 finally a little bit of good news in this madness

Kimberly556
Level 2
Haleiwa, HI

Aloha and thanks for sharing. I'm wondering if this is suppose to be automatic or something we need to apply fort. I have all my listings set to strict and my guests got 100% refund. I don't see any payouts for 25% of that. Thanks for letting me know if there is something I need to do. Mahalo

Jillian135
Level 2
San Marcos, CA

Nice to see this...hoping to receive mine soon!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ann489  Congrats! I'm glad you posted this and am also curious as to whether this reservation was cancelled less than 5 days before check-in. I suspect it was. All these hosts have been raging about how it's only for those with strict cancellation policies, and I've been saying no- it is based on the terms of your cancellation policy, no matter what that policy is. It's true that most of the cancellations for places with moderate and flexible policies would have been made before the date when your policy would kick in, but not all.

@Sarah977   The reservation was for March 25 and the guest canceled on March 12.   The other one I was reimbursed for was for April 5 and canceled on March 28.  🙂     I'm just really pleasantly surprised that I received anything at all.  Curious, if anyone else has gotten anything yet.  

@Ann489  How interesting. So not within the time frame you'd have normally have gotten to retain 50%. That flies in the face of the info they have put out. I also have a moderate policy and oddly enough, the only reservation I had on the books after the pandemic took off was also for April 5, although the guest cancelled it, after I contacted her saying we should probably forget the booking for now, on March 25, I think. 

I never considered that I'd get anything for it, but hey, if you did, maybe I will, too.

Or you'll get a notice from Airbnb saying you were paid out in error and they'll deduct it from future payouts :-((

@Sarah977    I wouldn't put anything past them, Sarah.  😉    Maybe it's time to look for a new platform then.  Anyway, hope you get yours soon...stay safe!

@Sarah977  No, I haven't gotten anything yet.  I have two locations, one in Crystal Lake, IL and another in Sarasota, FL.  Two homes where I rent individual rooms.  I may not qualify because I had three active listings for rooms at the time and I believe that policy for the refund is you can only have two active listings. I may be mistaken, this condition of having only two active listings may be for the grant funds.  If anyone has information on this please share.  

@Sarah977  I found the information under Airbnb Updates.  It specifically says 2 listings.   One is my primary residence.  If I could talk to someone or message someone to clarify that there is actually only two actual homes, but I am not sure that will help.  I lost all of my income for two months and no one has made reservations because the rooms are in a shared home.   It's very sad. 

@Rosemary-and-Lisa0  The 2 listings requirement is for the Superhost $5000 grant. The 25% refund doesn't have that requirement. But even with the 2 listings requirement there is a note on that about those who have more than 2 listings, as long as those listings are in their home, can still qualify. For instance, those hosts who rent out 3 private rooms in their home, or 2, but with a 3rd listing encompassing both rooms, so that someone could rent both rooms on one booking.

But if you have more than 2 listings, and they are in 2 separate homes, I would think that would disqualify you from the Superhost grant.