Best approach when you suspect guest damaged something major

Holley8
Level 2
Buffalo, NY

Best approach when you suspect guest damaged something major

Hi All,

I have been hosting since Sept. 2020 and just had my first bad experience. I’ve had people who clearly did not follow the rules before, but this one takes the cake and I’m so stressed about it.

I make it clear in my house rules that we do not allow parties or outside visitors or outside overnight guests. My neighbors reported to me after my latest guests left that they had two parties. My sliding glass door was fine before they arrived, but when we went to clean after they left, it was completely shattered from top to bottom. (Glass is still in place, but clearly broken and not in the state it was before he arrived.) I wrote to the guest in a non-accusatory fashion to ask him if he had used the sliding glass door and whether he had noticed the damages during his stay. He wrote back to say they thought the cracked glass was an intentional “design” and that they had used it a few times, but he insisted they were respectful to my property. Sigh...

These repairs are going to be expensive, a) I don’t have time to do the repairs myself and b) even though just one side of the sliding door/window was broken, the parts are older, probably original from when the home was built in the 80s.

I had numerous other problems with this guest, including that he was almost an hour late to check out and he made an unauthorized purchase on our Prime streaming account. He also seemed to get a little mad that I don’t have cable and cannot always accommodate early check-in despite

me making this clear on my listing page also.

Since asking him upfront didn’t get me anywhere, I filed a police report and contacted Airbnb. I plan to install security cameras ASAP. Has anyone had a similar experience and what advice do you have for me?

Thank you for your time.

24 Replies 24

@Dale711  I appreciate the tip about the insurance and will look into this at my earliest opportunity. I definitely do not want my current homeowner policy voided - yikes! Thank you for the other info as well. I do plan to install security cameras and it helps very much to know all this.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Horrible @Holley8 

Make the damage claim ASAP and leave your review til the last min to avoid triggering their retaliatory review.

By the way closing time corresponds with your own chosen check in time . That caught me out the one time I needed this strategy!

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

You are expected to conduct initial negotiations with the Guest yourself. Happily you've been very softly softly but have conformed. Submitting the claim to Airbnb is your first priority. Once the 14 day  review window has closed you can chase the guest.... and say what you want to say. By the way are we in the Host only section here? 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Sorry .... check OUT time @Holley8 . The review window ends 14 days after the guest departure and corresponds with your advertised check out time.

Hello @Mary996  and thank you for the advice. I have filed a claim and refrained from submitting a review of the guest. And apologies if I have posted this thread in the wrong location - admins, please feel free to move as needed. 🙂

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Lizzie 

Hi... can this conversation be moved urgently from HELP to HOSTING...!!

@Mary996 @Holley8 “By the way are we in the Host only section here? ”

HOST CIRCLE is the only board which is private and visible only to hosts. The HOSTING board is not private. 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Thanks @Colleen253 

By the way the Brian thing has started. Emelia says its dead boring. Do you have a link perchance? Can't find it and panicking now....!!!!!!!!!

@Mary996 Don't panic, you didn't miss much. I just finished watching live. Brian showed us how easy it is to become a host, and had fun listing his childhood home - quite amusing. I'm sure it will be reposted here soon.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why would suggest moving someone else's post @Mary966? 

its @Holley8  post  and I'm sure they are happy with where it is 😁😁

there is no difference for them if it's posted on Help or Hosting.