Boycott Russian Users in Solidarity with Ukraine

Nino381
Level 1
Tbilisi, Georgia

Boycott Russian Users in Solidarity with Ukraine

We urge Airbnb to announce boycott against Russia over its invasion of Ukraine! Similar to many international organisations that have pulled out of Russia in solidarity with Ukraine, we ask Airbnb to oppose this unacceptable situation and block Russian users from its services!

51 Replies 51
Anna11307
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Completely agree! Solidarity to Ukrainian people! 

@Nino381 @Anna11307 

Fully support.

Most Europeans stand resolutely in solidarity with the people of Ukraine in their effort to resist this re-colonisation. Their fight is our fight.

Parisien street art at Rue  Buot, 75013 Paris. Parisien attachment to peace, it’s support solidarity with Ukraine.Parisien street art at Rue Buot, 75013 Paris. Parisien attachment to peace, it’s support solidarity with Ukraine.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nino381 @Anna11307  Discrimination against individuals is not okay. Sanctions and banking shut downs are meant to put pressure on the Russian govt. to withdraw. 

From what I have been reading, the invasion does not have broad support among the Russian people- some Russian troops have even refused to cross the border or have surrendered. And there are anti-Putin protests happening in Russia, risking arrest.

The Russian people are already suffering  from flights being blocked and banking shut down. There is no need to block hosts and guests who may in fact be just as horrified by the invasion as the rest of the world is. 

Thank u for the kind and meaningful words, Sarah. It's so true. I'm Russian with Russian passport (sadly) living now in Turkey, because I had to leave, I simply can't take what's happening today in Russia and by Russia. It's cruel invasion, crime against humanity, also a crime against ppl of Russia itself. In Russia most of the country is brainwashed by propaganda TV (lies), ppl are poor, no education, no knowledge, no money, all these factors play role in what's happening. At the same time lots of ppl never supported the mafia government, never had a chance to vote, but never supported, not to mention the invasion. I agree that one thing is to stop the business in these countries, but to ban Russians/holders of passports is simply discrimination and racism.

@Nino381  Airbnb has announced the position it's taking on the matter:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/all-things-are-on-the-table-airbnb-ceo-on-future-in-russia-223529958....

https://news.airbnb.com/help-ukraine/

The existing economic sanctions are likely to thwart international transfers through Russian bank accounts, which will affect many Russia-based users regardless of any direct intervention from Airbnb.  But it would be incredibly shortsighted and cruel for AIrbnb to unilaterally blacklist individual members on the basis of their nationality. Millions of people who happen to be Russian citizens have close friends and family members in Ukraine, and travel services like Airbnb will be instrumental in helping them reunite in an extremely traumatic time. And users who identify as Russian happen to be based in dozens of countries, have nothing to do with the war, and there is no logical reason to take any action against them personally.

I think there is currently a strong practical case for Airbnb terminating transactions that run through Russian banks, which will unfortunately have an impact on innocent guests and hosts. But "block Russian users" sounds like a tactic based purely on ethnic animosity, which is not an approach that guides us toward peace. There is no possible way for this crisis to have anything but a horrific end, if we all swallow the poison of regarding our fellow civilians as the enemy.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Anonymous, 

Thank you for sharing this news and your thoughts on it. Just to clarify, Airbnb has suspended operations in Russia and Belarus but is not blacklisting any users based on their nationality. All can still use the platform outside of this territory. 

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Emilie  I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. How can a Russian host with a listing in Russia "use the platform" if all operations in Russia are suspended? 

@Sarah977 It makes sense to me. Stays in Russia/Belarus are suspended but Russians can still  travel abroad as long, I guess, as they can pay for them. Given the banking sanctions this may be difficult for some.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 Fundamentally, a Host can't host a guest in Russia or Belarus, and a guest cannot book a listing or experience in Russia or Belarus. Hope that clears it up!

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Emilie  That was already clear. And it means a Russian host with a listing in Russia cannot, in fact, use the platform. So they are essentially blackballed. 

With suspensions of international banking in Russia, I realize Airbnb would not be able to get payouts to a host there, unless they had a bank account elsewhere, but I don't like doubletalk. 

As of today (April 4) this is not the case @Emilie . Airbnb announced today that Russian and Belarusian users cannot use the service at all. And Airbnb has made no statement whatsoever to explain this change in policy toward active discrimination against these users.

This is another blow against the many individuals that have fled the country because they don't agree with the government's policies.  

When will the company offer its explanation for this explicit reversal in policies.

@Mitch294 . I am sure it only refers to people in those countries because of the problems for Airbnb being unable to process the currency as it is no longer able to be paid in roubles because of 'sanctions' imposed against Russia by the international banking system not Airbnb. If you are having banking problems outside Russia consult your nearest bank. Russian people such as yourselves can of course access Airbnb just not pay in roubles.If it is already paid and processed then it is not a problem but Ortherwise people from within Russia will need to exchange money within the country and then book . I imagine . Could be wrong . H

Unfortunately Airbnb's Russian-language press release is literally a couple of lines and says "Users from Russia and Belarus" and this was widely reported yesterday. If it's only about blocking users physically in those countries, then the press releases need to be written more clearly (few people are going to jump into the community forum to clarify like I did). And if this change is primarily about technical problems arising from financial system sanctions, then the company should indicate that too.   

As a user with Russian passport and account overseas, I can tell you I was not able to amend payout details and connect the Australian bank account to my AirBnb account registered a while ago under Russian details. It simply does not allow process the change of pay out method, does not allow to change the country. When I choose Australia,  then account...a window refreshes itself and turns me back to Russia and advises payout is not available for the region.  This is entirely on AirBnb side and has nothing to do with the bank.