CORONOVIRUS AND THE AIRBNB RESPONSE VIS A VIS HOSTS..............

Carol302
Level 7
Winchcombe, GB

CORONOVIRUS AND THE AIRBNB RESPONSE VIS A VIS HOSTS..............

....................and yes, you knew it was going to be disappointing!!!!

I have just asked Airbnb Help about temperature testing guests on the doorstep. A really wishy washy response -pretty hopeless really. What do we do if they DO have a raised temperature bearing in mind that people are infectious BEFORE they show symptoms? And what about the punitive [to hosts] cancellation policy if we are worried???? Hopeless. Totally lame and hopeless. I'm NOT panicking but this is going to get worse before it gets better.

Here are my questions for Airbnb Help which I am sure all hosts will understand, followed by the Airbnb Help person's reply:

MY QUESTION TO AIRBNB -

CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC.
i would like you to refer these questions to your management. I do not expect you personally to have any answers BUT this is a very important issue, which I would have hoped Airbnb would have already addressed.
In the absence of this I would like to know:
1. The Airbnb policy for HOSTS in dealing with the current worldwide situation regarding Coronavirus.
2. Can we temperature test visitors before they enter our homes?
3. Will you relax your punitive cancellation policy VIS A VIS HOSTS (not guests) in view of the current and fast-changing situation?
4. How can you help us HOSTS?
At the moment we are expected to welcome into our homes, share common spaces eg bathrooms with random people from literally all over the world about whom we know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT ALL. How can you help us HOSTS with this? The passage of a constant stream of guests through the same sleeping/bathing/cooking spaces presents an ideal breeding ground for the virus and ideal conditions for transference.
I would like prompt, comprehensive and meaningful answers to these questions. I feel you do owe this to us the  HOSTS.

AIRBNB REPLY -

I would like to inform you that we currently do not have such update with providing equipment in this situation.
However, if you've the equipment, you can definitely test (temperature) any visitors before they enter your homes. To make it more easy for your guests, you can simply mention it to your listing's description.

In the meantime, I've just shared your feedback about this equipement to our support team to check the details and let us know.

30 Replies 30
Danielle476
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

YIKES.  Temperature test your guests?!  Are you a doctor?  This screams over-reaching to me - I'd pack my things and turn right around if a host insisted on any sort of 'medical test' upon arriving.  

Do you do the same for guests during flu season?  You realize that the flu is statistically FAR deadlier than the Coronavirus has been?  That no deaths have been reported outside of China?  That Great Britain doesn't even have any confirmed cases of the virus (yet, I'm sure there will be much like many other countries)?  I think you should spend some time researching the facts before making demands of AirBNB and/or your guests.  I recommend that as a host, you do not initiate any sort of test for your guests as that would be an invasion of their privacy.  If you are truly that concerned about the virus and somehow contracting it, I would suggest de-listing your home until everything has passed (and I assure you, it will.)  

Actually we have 2 cases now in the UK. Airbnb suggested the testing. Those who test temperatures at airports aren't doctors fyi.

I said Great Britain, not the UK.  No, they're not doctors - but they've been hired and trained to do a specific job.  If you can't handle the possibility of guests having illnesses, you shouldn't be hosting.  A fever gives you ZERO information as to a person's ailment.  There have been over 8,000 flu deaths this year alone, are you testing for that too?  AirBNB is a rental platform.  They have no obligation to 'protect' you from whatever you feel is a medical threat.  You're barking up the wrong tree in my opinion.  If you're truly concerned, shut it down, simple as that.

wow what a charming individual you are. For your information Great Britain and the UK are one and the same.. Now where were we? Oh yes, first of all you don't know anyones extenuating situations. We are all familiar with the flue and its deaths blah blah blah, thats why we all get flue shots every year to protect us. While I think temperature testing guests at the front door is a ridiculous idea, i do agree that Airbnb needs to come with plan for hosts who do need to cancel guests who have already booked. A plan that does not include penalizing the host and stripping them of their super host or any other status. I for one am immunocompromised, and  am taking this very seriously. If I  catch this, it will most certainly kill me. I  have already blocked out both my guests rooms for the most of the year, have had several cancellations from guests who's conferences have been cancelled. i'm seriously considering cancelling the remaining guests that are booked. fortunately  its early in the year, so most of my current bookings are in March.  I'll be calling Airbnb on Monday and if their current policies are still in pace, so be it. My life is worth more than a few silly cancellation notices.  

Or better still they need to have a system in place that finds alternative bookings for these guests.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry @Trevor33  you are incorrect UK and GB is absolutely not the same. The UK includes six counties in Northern Ireland. GB doesn't.

Can I book? Im just back from Northern Italy and see you don't mind???

Whats your story now mate. Its spreading a bit quick for you to be so nonchalant isn't it??? If Id visited northern Italy can I stay at your house because Id like to book.

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Carol302 

There are some things you can do. 

Firstly, I'd suggest getting the facts at :-

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/index.html

There have been a small number of reports that people with novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) have transmitted it while showing no symptoms. This has, to date, not been confirmed by any reputable scientific source that I have seen. 

The most up-to-date information suggests human-to-human transmission after symptoms start to show, between persons in close contact, and after an incubation period of about 14 days. Of course, this could change as more information is known.

The best thing you can do is learn the facts about protecting yourself, and implement a proper cleaning protocol between guests, based on your particular situation. 

There is an abundance of this information on the websites I already posted. 

Of course, one should be doing all this during cold and 'flu season anyway, to protect oneself and one's guests from sharing viruses and getting sick. 

An elevated temperature is not going to tell you what kind of illness a person may have.

Symptoms of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) include cough, shortness of breath and fever. It can only be diagnosed by trained medical personnel applying the appropriate screening test. 

If someone displays the symptoms above, they should immediately seek medical attention, and be prepared to disclose their travel history. 

Hope this helps. 

I have the facts, thanks, as most intelligent people do. The dilemma remains the same.

@Carol302  Your original post says this : "The passage of a constant stream of guests through the same sleeping/bathing/cooking spaces presents an ideal breeding ground for the virus and ideal conditions for transference."

I don't really think that's something Airbnb (or anybody here in the forum) can do anything about. You have to decide how you are going to manage it, given the facts.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Carol302 . 

You’ve been given good information from both @Michelle53  & @Danielle476. I understand your anxiety and fear, but as stated, common influenzas and secondary infections can be more deadly. 

Temperature testing has been stated as not a reliable method of indicating n-2019CoV.  This corona virus is currently running at an infection rate of 2% of population from those infected through close proximity. SARS and MERS were much more serious pandemics than this one. Yes, knowledge and general information is constantly updating, and we should all make note of it, without living in fear. Utilise good hygiene practise and you are already protecting from many other bacterial or viral transmissions.  If unable to relax, then might you consider not hosting for a short time, till you are more comfortable with more information regarding the n-2019CoV pandemic and its development.

Remembering, a body can have a raised temperature for a number of reasons. Just had a hot drink? Shower? fighting infection? dehydrated? Been exposed to high physical activity or environmental radiant factors. 

Realistically, I could also take two paracetamol for my body size, to reduce that temperature. That might give me a lower temperature when you were to test me, but does that make me less likely to bring a bug into your home? Probably not....... 🌻🌻 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I believe this is a total overreaction. Perhaps different if you have people visiting from Wuhan but not for guests from the rest of the World.

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Carol302 

Airbnb will give you vague answers because they don't want to be liable should you later blame for contracting this specific virus or a common flu. What do you expect them to do about this? They are allowing cancellations without penalties now and you are free to ask the guest questions about their state of health before they arrive.

Also, if you are going to temperature test your guests, you are probably at greater risk for contracting any virus since you will be right in front of them.

Also, a guest can come perfectly fine, not have an elevated temperature and yet still be contaminated and display the symptoms during their stay. And as others have noted @Danielle476  , it is pretty creepy to test them. You will just be spreading anxiety around rather than the flu. But go for it, let us know how it goes for you.