COVID-19 positive test is no longer an extenuating circumstance

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

COVID-19 positive test is no longer an extenuating circumstance

I just had a guest who told me that she tested positive for COVID and asked if she could get a full refund. While at the end I authorized Airbnb to give full refund, I specifically asked the ambassador if it qualifies for EC. The ambassador specifically responded to me saying that guest or host test positive for COVID-19 is not covered under EC unless it's in South Korea. Here's her response.

Hello Biao,

Thank you for your response.

You can check this Help Center article for more information: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2728/cancellation-options-due-to-covid19

It says on the page that If your reservation was made on or after May 31, 2022 and COVID-19 affects your travel plans, your Host’s cancellation policy will apply. Our Extenuating Circumstances Policy does not cover COVID-19 related cancellations for these bookings, except for domestic reservations in South Korea where the guest or Host is sick with COVID-19.

This means that the guest is no longer eligible for full refund unless we have your consent.

Basically this means if the reservation is made after May 31 2022, COVID-19 is not covered under EC.

1 Reply 1
Renee291
Level 7
Cincinnati, OH

The guest was not entitled to a refund under the EC policy. If you choose to give her a refund, it's your goodwill. I rarely offer refunds outside my cancelation policy. I have return guests that stay for 2 to 4 weeks at a time 3 or 4 times a year and the wife has health issues.  If they need to adjust their stay, I work with them.  For others, I usually reply that unfortunately the cancelation policy does not permit a refund. Recently I made a guest a special offer. They had a 2 night stay and 3 days before check in, they wanted to cancel the 2nd night (moderate cancelation policy). My place does not book well last minute.  I offered a change to the stay,  1 day, with a 50% refund on the 2nd day. An ambassador walked me through how to do this.  Oddly, they didn't accept that offer.  They paid for both days and left after one.