Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Discount seekers

June 24th, I got this inquiry:

41177BF6-4E76-46BB-A9BF-409703EF4639.jpeg

Here’s my answer:

8C31AAAF-63A2-464A-BE33-BC749AE5AF7B.jpeg

Didn’t expect an answer, but didn’t get one.  SmartPricing did have those dates at very high rates (roughly 40% higher than the minimum), but it’s Columbus Day weekend and peak leaf season in Maine so there’s no reason to beg for a booking now.

This morning, I got an IB, took a look and thought. “That name seems familiar - is the guy who stayed in February coming back already?”  Nope, it was Honeymoon Man, and here was his booking message:

ABC5E8DD-90C9-4258-B03D-ED5D3A5F7C06.jpeg

Naturally I wrote an enthusiastic note back.  But I love the way he saved face by saying “as discussed.”

1 Best Answer
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Ann72 

As if I didn't love you enough already!!! 🙂

A perfect and entirely appropriate answer! I'm glad they went ahead and booked and would have loved to have seen his face when he read your message!

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Ann72 

As if I didn't love you enough already!!! 🙂

A perfect and entirely appropriate answer! I'm glad they went ahead and booked and would have loved to have seen his face when he read your message!

Awww @Suzanne302 - and I’m dying to know not only the face but the conversation with the fiancée that followed the first exchange!  Did he tell her or was it just that she kept saying, “Did you book that place yet?” until he realized he’d better do it or sleep on the sofa for his honeymoon?  

@Ann72  If I found out I was about to marry a discount seeker, I would cancel the wedding.

@Anonymous  Ha!  

haha @Anonymous  this was my first thought too 😄 😄

Loretta126
Level 10
Katy, TX

He asked politely, you declined politely, he decided your place was worth adjusting his budget or saving on something else and he booked.  All is well.

I don't know why hosts get crazy over anyone that asks for a discount.  Polite request?  If I think it's in my best interest to discount for them, I will.  Otherwise, I decline.  The ones I always say no to are the ones that justify why they need a discount, or tell me it's in my best interest to give them a discount. 

I taught my son that you won't get what you don't ask for - but to ask the right way.  Sounds like this guy was raised the same way.

@Loretta126  If I were selling a used bicycle on Craigslist, and someone made an offer below the asking price, I'd consider it. The thing is trash to me anyway, they're taking it off my hands, and maybe it's useful to them.

But if someone asked me to take a pay cut in my own business so that they could enjoy a cheaper holiday, I'd think they were out of their mind. I guess I was raised differently.

@Loretta126  discount seekers are the worst guest

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

@Loretta126  I think you're teaching your son a valuable lesson.  But let's be careful. . . 

I'm in the restaurant biz.  We had a dude recently come in and ask for a discount as he's browsing at the menu.  Like, wah?!?  We were pretty dumbfounded.  I mean, I wouldn't even do that if I were at a dirt road shack in Thailand, let alone a nice restaurant in San Diego.

Does the Marriott provide audience to discount requests from Joe Blow/Jane Doe for a 3-night stay?  

The lesson is a good one, when taught with grace/restraint.  And asking for discounts on Airbnb is a place where you definitely want to exercise that grace/restraint.  The more guests that get responses like @Ann72 gave, the better off the whole community will be.  And when you grant discounts?  It can lead to entitlement, or worse (as others have mentioned), crappy guests once they arrive.  

I actually found @Ann72's response rather reserved.  I'm pretty edgy when people ask for discounts ("If you don't feel like the home is a good value at it's current price, then there's likely no way that we will be able to meet your lofty expectations.  So it's hard for us to see this working out, etc.).  And like the example above, about 25% book the place in the face of my quippy reply anyway.  Then sadly, a higher proportion of those people end up being tougher guests.  

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Ann72 bravo! Let's hope he is not a nitpicker to still angle for that discount via the ABB resolution center. That is my #1 reason to deny any bargain hunters, @Loretta126 . I have had them that ask and I have declined, only for them to scour my space for made up reasons they should get one anyway. 

A vacation is not an object at a local flea market to be haggled over. Guests who believe that it is are not guests I have ever tried to attract. I don't believe "it doesn't hurt to ask." Sometimes it absolutely DOES hurt.  And geez, if you can't splurge on a honeymoon, when can you?

@Laura2592   " I don't believe "it doesn't hurt to ask." Sometimes it absolutely DOES hurt. "

Amen. Imagine this guy on his wedding night - "how about a threesome with your sister?"

@Laura2592   Ha! Ha! Ha! You made my day.

Susan
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 

I currently have a couple honeymooning at my house. They stayed with me back in 2017 and then tried to book again in 2019, but by then I had switched to long term guests and it was difficult for me to take the booking without potentially losing much longer ones and I kind of feel bad about that now. This time I was more than happy to make an exception as I was so flattered that they chose my listing for their honeymoon.

There was certainly no mention of any discount. Of course, they got what I call the 'Prosecco treatment' when they arrived, meaning I went the extra mile to make sure everything was as lovely as it could be for them. When they leave, they will be told that they will get a discount with me if they ever want to come back. These are 6* guests that I would gladly welcome back, plus it's very nice to feel appreciated for all the efforts we put into hosting!

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

I do agree with @Loretta126 that hosts shouldn't get crazy over someone who asks.  Hosts usually overexplain when saying no to someone.  "I'm really sorry but I can't offer a discount that weekend - it's a holiday" or "I wish I could offer a discount but my property taxes went up this year."  

If you're going to say no, say no.  However, I didn't even answer his question.  If you answer the question you've stepped off your playing field and onto his.  That makes him think he's gotten somewhere. 

Never complain and never explain.  Isn't that the Queen's motto?  🙂