Can I give you my (Hidden by Airbnb) numb (Phone number hidden by Airbnb)

David7850
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Can I give you my (Hidden by Airbnb) numb (Phone number hidden by Airbnb)

I just received a request from someone to rent my unit. The person sent me a message and asked the following: Can I give you my (Hidden by Airbnb) numb (Phone number hidden by Airbnb).

Airbnb immediately flagged the conversation and suggested to block and decline request, which I did. 

Does anyone know what this is all about? Is this a scam?

Thank you. 

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@David7850  Either a scam or a guest who wants to try to get you to book off-platform. 

Was this a request or an inquiry? Are you aware of the difference? If it's an inquiry, you don't have to decine, and you shouldn't, as declines count against you. 

On an Inquiry, all you have to do is message back and tell the guest that exchange of phone numbers is not allowed on Airbnb until after a booking is paid for and confirmed. Then click on the 'Report" button next to the message (the flag symbol).

@Sarah977 Thank you for responding. It was a request. I already declined, and reported guest. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@David7850 

If guest wants contact outside Airbnb (by providing phonenumber) in the initial message, it is flagged as "suspicious" by the system and you are presenting a small screen giving you the choice to report it or to continue as normal. Choosing the "report-option'  includes also a decline (not affecting your ratings). Airbnb will then further investigate.

@Emiel1 Thank you for responding. I did in fact decline and reported guest. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@David7850 @Emiel1 @Sarah977 

Wait a minute, was the sum total of the misbehavior including the question "Can I give you my (Hidden by Airbnb) numb (Phone number hidden by Airbnb)"  in the booking request?

All this means is that they wrote someting that included some numbers, which may or may not really have been phone numbers, which Airbnb automatically blocked with "Phone number hidden by Airbnb". Since it was a request to book, it seems unlikely that they were attempting to book off-platform, unless they really don't understand how Airbnb works.

I've had something like this happen a few times. It has always just meant that the guest had some innocent questions and didn't know that phone numbers can't be exchanged until after booking.

I would have given this person the benefit of the doubt, if there was nothing more to it than you're reported here so far.