Can someone help me with a place by Los Angeles airport for tonight?

Michelle2137
Level 4
New South Wales, Australia

Can someone help me with a place by Los Angeles airport for tonight?

My daughter is flying to Tokyo and will be landing in LA in an hour. She needs an apartment (not shared) as close as possible to Los Angeles airport for tonight. Nothing's coming up under my search near the airport. does anyone have a place I can book for her??

7 Replies 7
Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

I just did a search for LAX for tonight and there are quite a few properties available, 51 to be exact, that are within a few miles of LAX and are not shared 

I am not sure how you are conducting your search but their appears to be an ample number of options

Michelle2137
Level 4

yeh im typing in la airport, nothing comes up and it's all over $200. when filter it under $100 I only get hostels. 

on top of that I realised I can't book at all because its only the 21st march in the us and its 22nd here in Australia. I booked a hotel but they won't let her stay because she doesn't have my credit card. 

so now she's wandering around the streets in la not knowing what to do. she was told she couldn't stay at the airport

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Michelle2137  If I were her mom(I have 3 daughters), I'd be booking her one of the $200 places, if that's all that's available. These are exceptional times and call for exceptional measures. She can't be wandering around the streets of LA. California is on lockdown! Everyone is supposed to be staying at home.

@Michelle2137 

Agree with @Sarah977 - if appropiate places are all $200+a night, then that's what you should be booking. 

I am the oldest of 3 girls and if either of my of my younger sisters was traveling at a time like this needing my help to book a safe place for the night, saving a few hundred bucks would be the last thing on my mind.

Pai207
Level 3
Australia

@Michelle2137 , just saw this, and it's been an hour since the last reply.  I hope you are able to sort out the accommodation for your daughter.  I did a check on booking.com and there seems to be a number of accommodation for below $200, and for $100 and less (and not hostels).  I am not sure if @Jennifer1897 included this alternative in her search.

IF not already sorted, I hope you are able to sort it out for your daughter ASAP as I had a similar experience with credit cards (mine) trying to get my son on a flight back home from Ireland to Oz before further travel / flight restrictions are enacted.  So, I can appreciate your situation with your daughter and the hotel not accepting her to stay because the credit card.

All the best and good luck in sorting things out.

Michelle2137
Level 4

Thanks so much everyone for your help. Just to explain there were a few issues here as I was trying to book online from Australia and of course my daughter called just as she boarded the flight to LA which was her 3rd flight for that day. So it didn't give me much time,  I also dealing with 2 parties coming and going at my airbnb at the same time.

I was trying to get something as close to the airport as possible, and did hope that a host who had something available would reach out, as everyone seems to be needing bookings at the moment.

So the initial search I was looking around $200 because I knew we could get a hotel close by for that amount anyway. The biggest problem I had was trying to actually book because it was already 22 March in Australia and no travel websites or airbnb would let me book for the 21 March.

I changed my location on my iPhone so the timezone was LA time which didn't work anywhere except for booking.com. I went ahead and made a booking with Hilton they didn't let her stay as they insisted she present the card the booking was made with. She even offered to pay cash or with her phone (she has lost her physical bank card and the nearest branch to her is 200 miles from where she lives). They also would not accept any of my cards over the phone.

Eventually she called the Sheraton and they allowed her to use her electronic payment. I have since been advised that Expedia.com allows actual payment of hotel rooms when booking. 

So all in all because the Hilton went ahead and charged me anyway it has cost over $800 Australian dollars, so no it was never about the money.

@Michelle2137 Thanks for reporting back. What a difficult set of circumstances and rather crazy that you couldn't book in LA for that night just because you're in a different time zone/day, how frustrating and worrisome the whole thing must have been for you and your daughter. I'm glad you were able to finally work something out and that your daughter wasn't left huddling on the street in a doorway all night in LA!