Offering space to first responders

Lynn248
Level 2
Topanga, CA

Offering space to first responders

Lynn
3:21 PM
Hi. I am a host with a property in Los Angeles County that will shortly be empty due to cancellations. It's a separate house. I am thinking that there are probably hundreds of similar properties in the area that are also empty. Would it be possible to reach out to the healthcare community and offer these spaces to first responders and health care professionals who need to separate from their families to keep them (family members) safe? Is this something Airbnb could help coordinate? They could be offered rent free or for a low rent. And since the virus can live on surfaces for up to a few days, we could have a protocol of leaving the properties empty for a week after the healthcare professional leaves before cleaning. Please let me know what you think! I posted on the Los Angeles Facebook page for hosts, and others are interested too. Thanks, Lynn
12 Replies 12
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I too hope this will happen.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lynn248  It's a helpful idea. But there's no need to wait for Airbnb to co-ordinate something like this. Just contact your local hospitals, ambulance services, nursing centers and other such entities and let them know you have accomodation available.

Lynn248
Level 2
Topanga, CA

Yes, I agree, but if Airbnb put out one press release then both hosts and first responders would hear about it quickly. It would be nice if it could become a thing, if you know what I mean. (And most hospitals are already too busy to take this kind of call right now.)

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

Great idea, @Lynn248! I was thinking of something along these lines myself, as I'm located within a block of our local hospital. Maybe this can be organized by ABB through the "Open Homes" program?

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Lynn248 

Many of us in the UK are already offering free/cost price accommodation to our NHS staff and emergency services. 

Why not contact your local hospitals. I am sure they would be delighted to hear from you.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Lynn248 ,

We've just announced this initiative that might be just what you're looking for: Providing housing for Covid-19 first responders

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

I setup my home to be part of the program for COVID-19 first responders but the "offer at a discount" option doesn't seem to be working.   It won't let me edit the % discount field even though it looks like it was intended for me to be able to do so.   I think this is a bug in the newly rolled out page.    Is anyone else experiencing this?   I want to offer a huge discount to first responders and it says I'm in the program but offering at my normal rates.   Editing the section of my listing still won't let me change this.   Help?

Hi @Lynn248 , where in LA County is your property? My husband is in law enforcement.. and my sister is a critical care nurse at Harbor UCLA Medical Center. I would love to find out more info on your property.... I am trying to find rooms for both my husband and my sister since they both work in LA County... but the airbnb website seems to be down/not working at all. I happened to find this conversation thread on google.... Please message me.... thanks! 

My property is in Topanga. Let me know if that could work for you and I'll send the link. (Now with no traffic, Topanga is easier to get to...) 

@Jen5371 My property is in Topanga. Let me know if that could work for you and I'll send the link. (Now with no traffic, Topanga is easier to get to...) 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

We opted in, no ability to discount, and not even a single inquiry.  So, maybe as I suspected Jersey City is not in need of importing health care professionals or possibly the program isn't yet working too well.  I'm not in a position to offer lodging for free though.

Lynn248
Level 2
Topanga, CA

I haven't seen this in the news. I feel like Airbnb could be doing a better job of promoting it. And yes, there's definitely a glitch re the discount.