Cancellation of reservation following security situation in the country.

Cancellation of reservation following security situation in the country.

Travelers, disabled We were to travel to Northern Europe (Denmark, Sweden and Norway in August 2022) We were informed of the events (attack and shootings at people) that took place in Norway. (Then the same thing in Denmark) Coming from France where several attacks have taken place) We immediately informed the host in Trondheim that we were forced to postpone our trip given this situation) Since then it has been silent, since this person intends to keep half of the sum (200 euros as compensation since for her it has nothing to do (...) and that it will be difficult to relocate (+ a month before our arrival? ) RBNB tells us that the cancellation does not fit into the cancellation policy (although it is indicated attack and security situation in the list) but that as it is a feeling, it is random.. question of perimeter km...) we recall that Americans refused to travel throughout Europe during the Paris attacks, and that they had no problems... Consequently, faced with the more than limited "interpretations" of the responsibility and the bad faith of people who want to make money by renting nt their property and keeping the money of people who do not have big means We think to seize the institutions of defense of the consumers at the European level and in Norway and give the publicity which it deserves to this affair taking into account that other people of good faith can be abused too...

15 Replies 15
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Paul8580 It is not clear where you are from but I think I am right in thinking that attacks can happen in pretty much any country and at any time. You are almost certainly no less safe in Northern Europe than in your own country.

Airbnb and the host are completely right to apply the cancellation policy as you agreed at the time of booking.

Nothing is confused (.) It is said that we come from France.. Then that the rbnb cancellation policies clearly indicate that the exceptional conditions of cancellations include threats, the facts of attacks committed in a country ( which is the case) without indicating any restrictions on the perimeter of distance or time (..) The feeling of security specific to each person according to their beliefs, experiences, etc. must be respected and therefore the traveler cannot therefore be doubly penalized in this capacity. I know everyone has their own opinion, but the facts are what they are. So that's how my comment is posted. I also suspect that some people close to the site will also go on a crusade against this right. (this is why there are associations for the defense of consumer rights to avoid abuse)

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Paul8580 I don't see any consumer group supporting your position. Norway/Denmark etc are certainly no less safe that France so using a random attack to justify a cancellation is laughable.

People's distress is anything but laughable. So go troll on another subject or find a purpose in life other than annoying others... so leave this topic, and let others make up their own minds.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Paul8580 

This is a volunteer discussion board where many hosts help both guests and other hosts. Please refrain from insulting those trying to help you😟

@Mike-And-Jane0@Emilie

Where the hell did you read that I insulted someone (it's not in my education) Simply if it's necessarily to say that RBNB and the hosts are "untouchable" it's a bit sectarian isn't it? This atmosphere is a bit weird.

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Paul8580 

It is sad and horrible what happened here in Copenhagen and in Norway but luckily it is very, very rare that something like that happens here. Statically it is more dangerous for you to drive in your car or on your bicycle. Northern Europe is extremely safe compared to most other places. 
You won’t be able to cancel under the extenuating circumstance policy as shootings could happen all over the world. If you need to cancel you must cancel and will get refunded according to the listings cancellation policy you agreed to when you booked. It is not fair to expect the host to cover for something that could happen anywhere and statically it is more dangerous for you to walk on the pavement or drive your car.

Best, Sandra 

Exceptional situation, exceptional understanding...and reimbursement that goes with it... The fact is that continuing to rent while having received the money from people who cannot come (for these reasons which are understandable) is JUST a story of money... We can also make a credit note, a refund that is fairer than keeping a large sum on the backs of travelers. especially since we are not talking about last minute cancellations. RBNB must also prohibit unreasonable cancellation conditions... in short

@Paul8580 Why don’t you try and call your travel insurance company to see if they also see this as an “exceptional situation” as you word it? If they also see Denmark and Norway as very dangerous places to visit? 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why do you feel that Denmark, Sweden and Norway are going to be subject to terror attacks next month?

you can't compare your situation with the tragic terror attacks that happened in Paris where the whole city locked down.  That's why Airbnb allowed guests to cancel as hosts weren't allowed to host.

this is not the situation in Scandinavia . If you would never travel to a country which has had a terror attack your opportunities for travel outside of France will be limited 😁

Not really funny.. i cancelled this post 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Paul8580 You seem to think no one will be hurt by your cancellation/refund demand. Sadly many hosts rely on their bookings to pay the bills and just allowing people to walk away from their contractual agreements could financially break them.

If you take a different approach with the host and ask them nicely to refund you in the event they get an equal value replacement booking you might have some success.

Natturaly it has already been done....and from the beginning...and it remained in positive response..otherwise we would not be here

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Paul8580 

If you have any questions or concerns about your booking, please contact the Support team directly, or alternatively you can take a look at the relevant policy here.

The Community Center is a place for Airbnb Hosts and Guests to share their experiences, and to support each other.  Members can only advise you based on the information that you've provided.  We want to make this a safe place for everybody to connect, and we'd appreciate it if you could be respectful of other members who are just trying to help.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines