Cancellations

Karyanne0
Level 1
Toa Alta, Puerto Rico

Cancellations

Guest was supposed to arrive yesterday for their check-in and just received message today (2nd day of a 2 week booking) that their flight got cancel AND the tested positive to Covid. How can I offer a decent solution without loosing money. I have a strict refund policy and had lowered prices for them to be able to book. 

4 Replies 4
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Karyanne0  It sounds to me like they are trying to get a full refund but at the same time trying two excuses.  With regards to testing positive for Covid and claiming a full refund under the ‘Extenuating Circumstances’ policy, it will depend on when they booked.  The following link will be of help to you. 

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2728/cancellation-options-due-to-covid19

If they are unable to claim and/or prove Covid under the above policy then I suggest that you advise them to claim under their Travel Insurance.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Karyanne0 It sounds like they plan to scam Airbnb into refunding based on Covid. Assuming they booked before the end of May then if they can show Airbnb they have Covid I am afraid they will get a full refund. The giveaway is that they are claiming a flight cancellation as well which they wouldn't know about if they truly had Covid.

For future reference guests who ask for discounts do, according to many, turn out to be poor guests.

Sean1234
Level 2
San Diego, CA

This just happened to me as a host.   Im really bent about it.  Essentially. the host takes ALL of the risk and loses money from others grtting COVID.  Why on Earth the guest doesnt shoulder this responsibility, is beyond me and just plain backwards.   If you travel, getting sick or COVID is a risk, and we hosts shouldnt be the bearer of said risk, period.  

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Karyanne0

I know it's been a few days since this happened, but I wanted to check-in with you. What did you do in the end? I hope the advice from @Kate867@Mike-And-Jane0 and @Sean1234 above helped you, and please come back to let us know how you resolved this situation!

Thanks, 

Emilie 

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines