[Celebration] How creating a warm welcome benefits guests and Hosts

Sarah5000
Host Advisory Board Member
Adelaide, Australia

[Celebration] How creating a warm welcome benefits guests and Hosts

This article is a part of a series about building connection through hospitality.

As Hosts, we talk a lot about the importance of ensuring guests feel welcome and included when they stay at our listings. What we don’t talk about as much is how welcoming guests into our homes gives us a sense of belonging too.

In my case, I’m passionate about hosting. Having someone to host, something to do, and something to look forward to gives me purpose.

Knowing that my guests feel well cared for—and receiving their appreciation—helps me feel less lonely and isolated.

Genuine care and appreciation are key to making my guests feel valued. Here are three things I do to welcome my guests.

1. Greet guests warmly: I leave a personal note and offer snacks for my guests to make them feel at home. I also create a comfortable atmosphere by switching on the air conditioning or heater before they arrive. This shows them that I’m attentive to their needs.

2. Share local information: I provide my guests with information about the area, such as nearby attractions, restaurants, and community events. I also make recommendations based on the guests’ preferences and ask if they’d like me to assist with any bookings for restaurants, excursions, etc. Guests tend to appreciate the guidance they receive from me as an experienced local and a Host.

3. Offer assistance: I let my guests know that I’m available to help with anything they may need. For example, if they’ve relocated here from another country, they might need help finding a suitable permanent home, and I’ll share some tips. I also check on my guests periodically throughout their stay to show that I care about their well-being. 

I see every interaction is an opportunity to help guests feel welcome. What thoughtful gestures do you make as a Host?

Guest Sophie gave Sarah five stars for being attentive during her stay.Guest Sophie gave Sarah five stars for being attentive during her stay.

Sarah left a note with snacks for other guests she knew would arrive late at night.Sarah left a note with snacks for other guests she knew would arrive late at night.

Sarah
8 Replies 8
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Sarah5000  Thanks so much for your thoughtful post. How right you are Sarah --- Not only do the guests need to and want to feel a sense of belonging and purpose but the Host needs that as well. Many of us indeed find their purpose in life in hosting and hospitality and caring about other people/guests for much more than just $$$. Yes, adding money  to our work and efforts as hosts is important, but for many I'd guess its not the #1 most important thing the hosts attain or get in return. 

Guests know and sense when a host really cares, really wishes them the best and has their welfare truly in mind and heart. I believe this is WHY Airbnb has proved to be such a widespread choice for so many people world wide. The dialogue and manner a host relates through messaging and in person certainly matters. I think much is gained by in person contact whenever possible. We all know how messages can often times be very misunderstood. And cause difficulties. 

For me,  I always work for a  meet and greet with my guests and have for 7 yrs. except for a short time during the pandemic -  and that proved to me the importance of that connection and sharing the important things that Guests will miss, not understand and really need to know. 

My motto: "Every guest is my first guest". I never want to forget the first guest and the thrill, excitement and making everything special and perfect for just them.  It has served me well indeed. 

Happy Christmas and many Blessings, Clara116

I am a new host and I like the mindset that every guest is  a first guest. While I live away from our property I have attempted to leave the condo stocked with coffee and condiments that will help with cooking. We always have shampoo, soap, paper products for our guests i Your positive attitude is so helpful is making each guest feel like our first!

Remona

Sarah5000
Adelaide, Australia

I love that motto too “ Every guest is my first guest “

Sarah
Sarah5000
Adelaide, Australia

Yes I believe that doing by the heart ❤️ will go a long way . Whatever we do , without a passion it won’t be a great success.

Sarah
Paula2563
Level 3
Vancouver, WA

@Sarah5000 I love this post and I appreciate how other hosts aren't just in it for the money !  Thank you for caring and being such a great host.   I take pride in putting extra effort for my guests by leaving a welcome sign with their name (made on my Cricut Maker craft machine),  a few special treats by the welcome sign, and fancy water in the fridge.   In addition, I have fun putting together a "just in case you forgot" basket in the bathroom.  Going to the dollar store helps me with this part !   I didn't think I would like hosting as much as I do !

Sarah5000
Adelaide, Australia

@Paula2563 I love the Cricut Marker , it can make so many things! Great idea with your “ just in case you forget “ , yes hosting is not just about the money 💰 but also the joy of doing something for someone! 

Sarah

Hi @Sarah5000 , I really appreciate your article. I think it is very important for guests to feel welcome in a new place, and we always provide things like coffee, shampoo, soap, etc. As a host, I always communicate with them upon arrival, especially newcomers to Norway, since they often need help with local travel, dressing appropriately for the sometimes rough weather conditions, etc. For Christmas, we put out a few decorations in the rooms and make sure that the apartment is properly warmed up upon their arrival. The snow in front of the door is cleared away, and we lay out carpets in all the rooms. We want all our guests to have a wonderful stay and feel that they are special to us. Being a host on Airbnb is a wonderful opportunity to meet new people, and it is always interesting to contribute to making their holiday or work stay in our little town meet or maybe exceed their expectations.

Sarah5000
Adelaide, Australia

@Eli25225 well done 👍 I am sure your guests feeling your warmth and love it. The best part of traveling is to meet the local community I think , so Airbnb makes this happen. Thanks for sharing.

Sarah