[Celebration] The power of genuine human connection

Dolly36
Host Advisory Board Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL

[Celebration] The power of genuine human connection

This article is a part of a series about building connection through hospitality.

My journey as a Host with Airbnb has given me an appreciation for the power of human connection. Three guests whom I met early in my hosting journey demonstrate this.

A couple from Germany stayed with us at our listing in Florida for about six weeks. We had a strong connection right from the start. After they left, they kept in touch, sending photos of their adventures across the United States. It’s hard to put into words, but I was deeply touched when they shared photos of their engagement. 

A guest from California came here for a new job in a new city. He didn’t know anyone nearby. So we invited him to join us for family dinners and special occasions. He still tells us how being included meant a great deal to him and made relocating less daunting.

The third guest, from India, stayed with us while finishing his medical residency. He told us he felt tremendous pressure to live up to his family’s expectations of becoming a doctor. One evening, he shared that he was failing classes, wanted to quit, and might even get kicked out for poor grades. We listened as he aired his frustrations, then encouraged him to take his residency test anyway—he’d come this far. The day of the test was a roller coaster for us, we were so anxious for him, like he was our son. He scored high enough to continue, and we celebrated together. He went on to earn his degree and said staying with us had made a big difference.

Hosting is about more than providing a place to stay. It’s about creating a space where guests can feel comfortable and welcome even when they’re far from home. The relationships we build with guests can help alleviate feelings of solitude. They leave with memories of not just the place they visited, but also of the people they met along the way. 

Connecting with guests is one of the most rewarding parts of hosting. I didn’t become a Host to meet people, but now I cherish these moments and the unexpected joy they bring me. I believe the synergy of Hosts and guests enriching each other’s lives is the true magic of Airbnb. 

As Hosts, we can positively impact people’s lives through the power of human connection. By supporting guests and our communities, we can help everyone feel a little less lonely.

How do you connect with guests? How do you maintain those relationships?

27 Replies 27
Daniel1651
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

Hello @Rene2548 

Hello from Tenerife, Canary Islands, and hugs to Greece!

I am reading your comment and wondering how important it is (and also will be) the human connection despite the fact that technology and habits are changing...

You said "the only I can do is to write at least some nice words"...Let me think out loud that it is not a small detail.

Your nice words can change the day, the mood and the energy of your guests at a certain point. So, never think your words are just a small act.

In my opinion, these small details make the difference!

Fortunately, where I live in Tenerife, smart locks or key box are not frequent and I am trying to avoid it because I really love the "moment" when I see my guests for the first time to welcome them. Their faces of happiness (or also, being tired after a long trip) give me the chance to offer a personalised treat and let them feel at home.

In any case, continue sending nice words to your guests.

I am sure they are happy receiving it! ❤️

Dolly36
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hi @Rene2548 , I completely understand your sentiment. While technology has its benefits, I also believe that making a genuine connection with guests requires going the extra mile. I actively listen for cues from my guests – are they here to celebrate a birthday, anniversary, or a desire for a warm Christmas escape. I go beyond the digital communication, leaving special touches like balloons, cards, or perhaps festive decor. These personal gestures can enhance the guest experience.

Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and a joyous 2024! Many greetings, from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. 😀

@Rene2548  Don't worry, I've saved your place and when I finally get to Greece for the first time and stay at your Apartment Rustico, I'll make sure to find you for a face-to-face chat 🙂

Rene2548
Level 2
Nea Epidavros, Greece

Thanks Ann72

I'm looking forward to welcome you 😊 

What I decided for 2024, just don't let the guests know that I've a keybox. 

Only for midnight arrivals. Like that I can meet humans again. 

Happy Christmas 🎄 from Greece 🇬🇷 

Reina179
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Hello @Dolly36 , basically I use Airbnb platform and I use WhatsApp because my property is outside the United States  who have direct contact with my staff on site that they are in the house waiting for them to greet them, to welcome them, to give them directions or any assistance they need.

Dolly36
Fort Lauderdale, FL

It’s so important to be available for guests through any means, and I also provide my telephone number for emergencies. However I also try to keep my communication with the guest through the messaging tool. 

Sargis3
Level 1
Yerevan, Armenia

Hello @Dolly36  , we interact with guests very respectfully and very warmly!

Dolly36
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Thank you. Interacting with guests respectfully and warmly is key to setting the right tone and creating a safe, welcoming space for them. It's a wonderful approach that surely contributes to a positive and memorable experience for your guests. 😊

SShruthii0
Level 1
Kannur, India

Hi @Dolly36 Gud morning

after my booking is received i chat them through wats app,and will send the images of my house and rooms

and will ask about their breakfast taste 

Dolly36
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hi! I completely agree with your approach. Engaging with guests right from the start, sharing images of the house and rooms, and inquiring about their breakfast preferences sets a welcoming tone. It's a wonderful way to let guests feel the warmth and friendliness of the host even before they arrive. Thank you for sharing. 🙂

Rita2640
Level 1
Cottonwood, AZ

I have an introduction prepared and show them around. I tell them some local restaurants and shops and easy hikes. Then, I introduce them to my two dogs. It breaks the ice and after a few minutes, the dogs go back into their/my bedroom and then, I excuse myself. Usually, I don't see them again. I leave the rest of the house to my guests. We turn in early and often, by the time I wake up, my guests have checked out. ✔️ A few short conversations are better than hanging around too much. We all have lives and time is precious. 

Dolly36
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hi Rita, I appreciate your insight on the importance of striking a balance between giving guests their space and engaging in conversation to break the ice. Thank you for sharing.

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Dolly36 itis intersting to read your article on the Power of Genuine Human Connection.  Yes I i agree with you of face to face connection to me it makes sence as someone is staying in your property and we live onsite so it easy but at the same time we respect there privacy.

I also show our guests through our property like @Rita2640 @Daniel1651  as our cottage is on the same site of our residence. When we are together during the time of being a guide it is this time to answer any queries that our guests may have.

It is also interesting to read how other Airbnb Hosts manage their properties with messaging.