Chat function is useless

Amy-Tracy0
Level 2
Ann Arbor, MI

Chat function is useless

I appear to have been overcharged per night for an upcoming rental (advertised at 86/night, however the receipt shows 97.91/night), but the chat function is useless. Once I got through the bot, the community expert didn't know which reservation I was discussing. (Only two choices so really not that hard - the one at 97.91/night, right?.) Tried again next day (also left the confirmation code) and several hours later heard a reply, but, as I was no longer active, so that community expert left a message. Very frustrating. Any ideas?

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

The nightly rate show in the listing ad is before Airbnb's service fees, or any additional charges, like for an extra guest for instance, are added. You should be able to see a breakdown of the charges on your confirmation. @Amy-Tracy0

I wondered about that as well however the receipt/itemization shows an additional Cleaning and Service fee separately. I've been using AirBnB for awhile, but this has me stumped.

So what was the second message you got from customer support? I'm not sure what you mean that you were no longer active- I assume you mean you weren't online or logged into your account, but you should still be able to reply to the message unless the case was closed.

Have you messaged the host to ask about this? If not, you should. They may be able to shed some light on the upscaled charge. If they are also stumped, then you'll just have to keep trying with CS.

@Amy-Tracy0

The chat timed out. The first action I took was to contact my host who referred me to AirBnB. Do you know of an asynchronous way to contact AirBnB?

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Amy-Tracy0  My guess would be that the $86 is the host's price and the $97 is the price including Airbnb's fees and any related taxes by the city or state and also could include a cleaning fee.  However, it should be pretty simple for even a bad Airbnb CS rep to explain this.