Children brought me rat poison.

Mike2715
Level 2
Roseburg, OR

Children brought me rat poison.

I recently stayed in Idanha, Oregon USA for a week during independence day. Had my family come for a get together at the bnb I was staying, and my kids brought me rat poison they found from around the place, not disclosed in bnb info. These traps were set all over the house hidden and in areas unable to see from "walk arounds". I contacted air bnb and they said that there's nothing they can do after 72 hours. I didnt know it was there until after 72 hours. I have since then been contacted by multiple bnb people but with no answers. I have uploaded pictures/ proof and have every intention to seek further legal action if my payment for this is not fully refunded. Having a family with multiple upset parents about this will clean up this mess. Don't mess with parents I suppose. 

If anyone else has had trouble with bnb support or refunds for safety concerns feel free to contact me and you can join in on moving forward. 

81 Replies 81

@Mike2715   I can understand why you felt alarmed, and I agree with you that the host should have disclosed the rat traps. But that doesn't mean you're entitled to a refund. 

If you discover a problem at any point in the stay, you have to bring it to the host's attention and at least give them the opportunity to resolve it. That would have been quite easy - either inform you of where the remaining traps can be found, or come around to remove them. If the issue is impossible to resolve and you're no longer able to complete your stay, you may ask to cut the booking short and have the unused days refunded.

But any con artist could plant rat traps in their rental and take pictures of them, so it would be ridiculous if that's all it took to get a free stay. 

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Mike2715 Are you saying you and family stayed the whole week? Are you saying that you did not cancel and cut the vacation short? Are you saying you did not bring this to the host’s attention? If all 3 answers are yes, then why are you asking for a full refund. I’m just trying to understand. 

Mike2715
Level 2
Roseburg, OR

I see here, that protecting hosts and air bnb is the #1 priority, and thats fine. I believe there are rules and regulations to be followed as hosts and putting things not disclosed that are harmful to the well being of consumers.. obviously not okay. The fact that these rules were not followed and have not been, should not be tolerated. Either that or I guess safety is out the window until a child dies. Contacting a host while a child dies because of their arrogance isn't a refund. It's a lawsuit. 

Finding on the last day that there is rat poison scattered around the place i brought my family, the phone calls having to disclose this information to them, the distress it brought the parents of the little ones should never have had to happen. 

Not to mention no cooperation from bnb to resolve the issue except that to say the same thing I already know from reading the regulations. I held up my side of the bargain, i do not feel comfortable contacting a host who thinks it is okay to be doing this, and I don't want to. I trusted bnb to gather my family to a safe place. It wasn't. 

Clear, easy, and fast solution. If not. Proceedings there will be. 

@Mike2715 You found it on the last day? Was anyone harmed? It appears not.

Would you have rather had rats visit during your stay? 

Should the host remove any cleaning products or other "hazards" from the house? 

Any child young enough to eat rat poison because  they don't  know better should be under adult supervision. Right? 

"Hidden" is appropriate for rat poison. Rats go places that people don't. 

Looks to me like you're ridiculously upset about something perfectly reasonable, and looking for a free stay to boot. 

Why did you have to contact a number of parents when nobody was harmed and that was all after the fact? 

Get a grip.

@Kia272 Children have their ways. Everyone knows that. Loosen your grip on what you think you know. 

** inappropriate content hidden **

@Mike2715 Indeed. I like to poison small children, including my own. It's amazing that they lived to be adults! 

Hope you get help with your anger issues soon. 

Cheers,

Kia

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Mike2715  What are you going to sue for?  While I would never use poison, in your case, no one was hurt, not pets or people, so what is the damage you intend to claim for?  Why do you think you are owed a free stay?  What is the regulation you refer to?

It seems a little odd that the reviews before and after your stay were all extremely positive, and your review was a long list of 'hazards' and complaints.

@Mark116 

I think its obvious what could be done. But I guess that is how the world used to work. Nothing happens until someone dies. I can put you in touch with an attorney if you'd like. 

@Mike2715  It isn't obvious to me on what basis you would sue the host for allegedly having rat poison on the property when no one was injured, or why you believe this, if true, should result in you getting a free stay.   Usually some kind of actual harm has to have occurred to have a reasonable chance of success with a court action.  I suppose you could claim some kind of emotional trauma at the thought of someone in your group eating the clearly marked RAT POISON, or that using pest control products represents some type of extreme negligence, but it seems a stretch.  It does appear your complaint has gotten the super host with great reviews suspended, so there's that.  And again I say this as someone who not use poison to control rodents, but your review is such an outlier I have to wonder what the hosts' side of this might be.

@Mark116  See, now you're assuming the situation which is dangerous. The rat poison was not marked in the traps. 

And endangering anyone or anything while under a contract is a very serious thing. 

I simply wanted anyone to come forward with any other concerns or safety issues they may have had alike and not to start a debate. The host is already being penalized. I think it shows a real issue over any of these opinions.  

Happy traveling or hosting. I only wish the best and the health of everyone. Things can only be fixed if brought to the light, and sometimes learning means to pay the price. That is all. 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

So if it wasn't marked as poison - how do you know that it was ???? @Mike2715 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Helen3 apparently the best bait to use in traps is chocolate not cheese as many think. We don't use traps as they can hurt fingers and you have to deal with the dead bodies!

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Fortunately I've never had to find out although I did have squirrels in the attic of my Edwardian house in London.

My son and I both thought they were burglars 🤣🤣🤣 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Although I agree @Mike2715 is not entitled for a refund after a completed stay, I do agree on rat poison inside the house should be disclosed to the family with small kids

In Zagreb, the city organizes rat poison distribution in every building and house. They put it in carton boxes in basements and maybe on the bottom of the building staircase. Hosts don't warn their guests about it because guests don't go to the basement.  But if it is inside the house/home/apartment where guests are staying then the guest should be warned, especially if they stay with kids or pets.