Chronological order of Guest review please

Leah460
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Chronological order of Guest review please

The chronological order of the guest reviews makes the most sense for a service like Airbnb because 1) it allows the guests to hear about the most recent updates and experiences of the listing.  2) keeps hosts always striving for the best because their service will always be reflected in the real-time reviews. Perhaps, the host got some negative reviews and improved their service, maybe the host added a new TV. There’s no reason to show last year’s review over the latest even if it’s short and sweet. 

Airbnb has a great review translation feature for people to reach them in their native language. 

Let the guests then sort by ratings or languages or any other fancy new filters that Airbnb wants to experiment with, instead of having the algorithm figure out what’s best for them based on some low accuracy profile data that most guests haven’t even filled out. 

6 Replies 6
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Unfortunately, @Leah460, it's not about what works best (as the new categories have illustrated), or what hosts want, it's about the Airbnb team thrashing ideas about in their HO and coming up with numerous 'game-changers'.

Pamela853
Level 5
Occidental, CA

Could not agree more- it is immensely frustrating to have reviews from international guests dumped to the bottom of my review feed, alongside reviews from over 2 years ago. The policy makes no sense-guests could care less when a prior guest may have come from, what is relevant is recent conditions/hosting/experience at a listing. The policy is not only stupid, it penalizes hosts who attract international clients as their reviews never get seen. Hate hate hate this policy.

Kirsten266
Level 10
Heemskerk, Netherlands

@Catherine-Powell 

Can you please tell me why the foreign reviews are on the bottom for the local guests and vise versa? 

I have been hosting a lot of foreign guests for the last weeks. To local guests it seems like I haven't had guests in weeks some times. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

HI @Leah460 @Kirsten266 @Pamela853 and @Gordon0

I found more information about this for you here. The order in which the reviews appear is tailored to each guest viewing your listing, based on various criteria including things like:

• How recent the review is
  • The language of the review
  • The country where the reviewer lives
  • The length of the review

For example, if a French traveler browses your listing, recent reviews written in French or by French guests will be shown first. This helps guests read reviews that are relevant to them so they can decide if your listing is a good fit. All reviews are however visible, only the order changes. 

I appreciate this doesn't answer some of the concerns you raised though, and I will make sure to pass on your suggestion on a mainly chronological order to the team. 🙂

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Kirsten266
Level 10
Heemskerk, Netherlands

@Emilie Thank you for your reaction

I think Airbnb started the summer release with 'think out of the box'. 

Its a shame the same guests are put in boxes because of their origin. 

Last week I got a fantastic review. It's a shame all the Dutch Airbnb-searchers will never ever see it because it's buried under 50 short Dutch reviews... I just don't get it.

Put all the reviews in chronological order or make an extra filter:

- latest review

- length of stay

- language

Our stay in Kirsten's Tiny House was fantastic! Communication beforehand and check-in went very smoothly and we could park the car right next to the house. The house is very pretty, cosy and bigger than you'd expect in my view. It worked well for us as three adults, with one staying in the main bed room (connected to the bathroom) and two sleeping upstairs under the roof on two single beds reachable by a relatively steep ladder (but which was absolutely doable for us). It is also extremely well equipped for a small place allowing us to cook breakfast and make dinners and included some small lovely details like some chocolate sprinkles for hot cocoa, a few nice teas, a bottle of Cava etc. She even brought us a local delicacy to try! We very much enjoyed spending time on the east facing terrace right in front of the house having a nice aperitif. The tiny house is located in a pretty area, right around the corner from an entrance into the dune nature reserve a few km of a beautiful walk to the coast. It is also not far away by car from a free P+R next to the train station that can get you into Amsterdam or other towns for a day trip while staying in a pretty, more rural area. We very much enjoyed our stay and fully recommend Kirsten's tiny house!

@Leah460  @Pamela853 @Gordon0 @Catherine-Powell @Brian 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Language I understand, @Emilie, well, sort of given they are translated, but little more makes sense. For instance, I'm returning to an NYC apartment in December. The host has 158 reviews. The first I see is mine (December 2019) which is beyond daft, followed by a load more from 2019. The most recent ones - written in English - by other nationalities are waaaay down in subsequent pages.

Airbnb listings should be listed on recent performance, so seeing what happened in 2019 is ridiculous.