Cohost messaging error in AirBnB Desktop and App - Workaround Solution

Matt254
Level 2
Detroit, MI

Cohost messaging error in AirBnB Desktop and App - Workaround Solution

Hi, all. I have been experiencing Cohost messaging errors in AirBnB Desktop and App for about a month. With this issue, I am able to message guests I host, but started receiving "access denied" and error messages when trying to read cohost guest's messages or altering cohost booking details. Other times, the cohost guests messages don't even show up in my message primary inbox. I posted a few photos and screenshots, as I am experiencing this issue on my iPhone, iPad and desktop.

This is a situation that could be disastrous! So, I contacted the person for whom I cohost. They gave me their login credentials for the property I cohost. Once I logged into their account, I was able to message the guests who booked my their property from their account, which would normally be my cohost account. 

Once I messaged each guest from my cohosting property owner's account while in my desktop or iPad Chrome's browser, I received messages in my primary Airbnb host account via email and the AirBnB App. As a result of the message popping up as a "new" message in my primary account, this messaging workaround allowed me to continue messaging guests from my primary account. 

No, it's not a major fix, but it's a workaround solution for the major bug that AirBnB hasn't been able to fix for over one month. I hope this helps a few hosts and superheats. IMG_1434 5.55.24 PM.PNGScreen Shot 2020-01-07 at 6.58.20 PM (2).png

4 Replies 4
Matt254
Level 2
Detroit, MI

Another possible solution to the "denied access" error is to have the Primary host/owner of the property for which you  Cohost delete you as the Cohost. From my experience, an error occurred and the owner was unable to remove me immediately as the cohost; I still showed up as the Cohost.

After 12 hours, however, the cohost deletion took place and I was removed as the Cohost. Once you are deleted as the Cohost, have the Primary host/owner add you back as a Cohost. With this change, I regained my Cohost abilities - messagings, pricing, calendar, etc. 

@Matt254 

Great to hear that you found a workaround that works for you, and hopefully might work for some other hosts also 🙂

You may want to take a look at the thread below too though. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/CRITICAL-BUG-with-co-hosting-lack-of-access-WHEN-WILL-TH...

Matt254
Level 2
Detroit, MI

Hi. Thanks for the message. i experienced the exact same situation. I am a primary host for my property and I cohost another property. I was receiving  the same exact error messages and calendar issues. It appears to be fixed now. 

Removing yourself as the co-host and adding back shortly after only temporarily worked--some of the disappeared messages indeed would re-appear in my Inbox.  But when I did this 2 weeks ago, the no-access cohost bug literally returned in less than 24 hours.

Airbnb only grants you access to "forward" reservations and messages when you are added as a co-host.  Undertaking this removal/re-addition workaround meant for me, since I am now being a co-host forward but not backward, I've lost access to the message threads for all the past bookings during my original stint as a co-host.

Having done it, I would advise against it.