Conned & cheated by an Airbnb superhost

Tuhin3
Level 2
SF, CA

Conned & cheated by an Airbnb superhost

Brooke is listed here as a Superhost but they conned us. Brooke recommended us to travel against the California State forest closures. Their property is right in the middle of forests and inaccessible without passing through one. Brooke did not either refund or let us reschedule as per Airbnb policies. Brooke went so far ahead to block her entire calendar for this property so that they could con us of more than $600. The sad part is Airbnb does not have a way to prevent such con artists to keep doing business. I am wondering how we can report them?

**[Sensitive information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

9 Replies 9

@Tuhin3   If the property is located inside an area that is closed for inbound travel by a government advisory, you might be eligible for a refund under Extenuating Circumstances - https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/extenuating-circumstances-policy

You'll have to contact Airbnb directly to sort that out. More info about how to contact them is pinned near the top of this forum.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Tuhin3 

You live in San Francisco yet you are unaware that Northern California is a wildfire-prone area?

Have you no access to news media?

Tuhin3
Level 2
SF, CA

Thanks for your reply @Anonymous. Airbnb did not consider this extenuating circumstances since the zip code of the property itself isn’t in a forest. There are no provisions in the policy to cover the fact that we cannot safely reach there from where we live. The host, experienced with Airbnb, understands that they can con on on this technicality. Tangential to this I am not sure how we can report unethical business to Airbnb. The hosts behavior may be proven to be not ethical and they are still allowed to be tagged as superhost and continue to do business 

@Tuhin3  I wouldn't personally consider this a "con" unless it was evident that the host had no intention of honoring your booking in the first place. 

It may seem like a technicality, but if used correctly, Extenuating Circumstances would be based on the conditions in the destination itself, rather conditions affecting your ability to travel to there from where you live. The latter circumstance is one that you're expected to have covered by your private travel insurance policy. If you took one out, be sure to check your eligibility. 

Tuhin3
Level 2
SF, CA

@Brian2036 How is this even related? One area is under fire and not the entire state. This place is beyond the Sierras literally 100s of miles far. The government wants to prevent people from traveling to any forest. Your comment is as good as saying that since its a landmass you are affected by any event that can possibly be happening in the continent. 

Tuhin3
Level 2
SF, CA

@Anonymous That makes sense. Though in light of the same policies the host did not let us reschedule. They blocked the calendar and changed the rates to 3x so that it did not make it affordable for us. After a couple of conversations it was clear to the host that we would not risk it with our infant. What is not ethical is for the host to not allow us to reschedule and actions on change of rates and block of calendar. Maybe not illegal but definitely not ethical. Airbnb does not have a way to prevent this. In the following circumstances the host literally had to make sure that we hit the dates and they get the money. This is the specific reason for calling it a con.

@Tuhin3 A host is under no obligation to move your dates. If the communications between you over the refund issue became awkward and tense, it’s understandable why the host would prefer to now not host you in the future. I agree with Andrew on all points. Why are you not just claiming on your travel insurance? 

@Tuhin3 It's understandable that you are choosing not to take this high-risk trip with your child, and I think in that sense you made the best choice. Once again, I would encourage you to take this up with your insurance - which is quite an essential thing to have when you stand to suffer a heavy loss when unforeseen conditions affect your trip.

Where we might disagree on the ethics is the notion that your host (or Airbnb itself) should act guests' de facto insurer when they don't choose to insure their trips. The host's ethical obligations are to honor the terms of your booking agreement, for the specific dates of your stay and number of people in your group, and deliver the home exactly as advertised. In the event of cancellation, they're obliged to honor the terms of the cancellation policy you agreed to - noting that you could have chosen a listing with a more flexible policy if you preferred to have that option.  The host is never required by law, nor by ethics, to grant an opportunity to reschedule or offer the same rates for different calendar dates. That would constitute a change to the contract, when is only valid if both parties willfully agree to it.

I don't know how things went down in your correspondence with this host, but clearly they don't feel that this bird in the hand is worth two in the bush - to the extent that they would even sacrifice other potential bookings to avoid hosting you. They are not exactly wrong to feel this way, considering that you are publicly defaming them on a highly visible website. Once a host gets a whiff of vindictive behavior in their guests, they would be very wise to prevent those guests from re-booking or re-scheduling rather than risk damage to their homes or reputations.

Tuhin3
Level 2
SF, CA

We are doing business in  a digital world. Just like if one goes to a restaurant, buys a car, uses a small business and post a review about their services. I am posting here. What recourse do I have ? This is all after the fact. Most of the comments here assume there wasn’t an amiable exchange. There was and it was mostly Airbnb customer service. On a comment about the host getting uncomfortable with the exchange, lets flip this. Lets assume the guests are uncomfortable and now even if they can they feel its not worth the money to put yourself in danger in staying at a place with a host who can go to that extent. How is the guests safety guaranteed? After all its the hosts owned property. Hotels operate very differently.