Contact with guests - how early? What supplies provided?

Steve3189
Level 3
Bristow, VA

Contact with guests - how early? What supplies provided?

I'm prepping for my first guest.  My AirBNB is a whole house and I live in another place.  I'm here now prepping for the season.  I got an automated notice from AirBNB that FirstGuest will be here in 8 days.  I thought that a bit early to reach out to her with the unlock code.  I have planned to give the codes the day before.  I have an automated message to welcome guests, but that's only a day before.  How early is too early?

Also,  I took this place over from a fellow that ran it as an AirBNB.  I just stocked up on toilet paper, some nicer individual soaps, shampoos, etc to add to the big bulk bottles he supplied.  Also, paper towels, napkins, etc.  There's dishwater soap and laundry soap for the washing machine.   I figure I could buy more of that when it's needed - cleaning lady will tell me.    But, what do you all supply that's expected or just nice to have?

8 Replies 8
Deborah175
Level 9
Berkeley, CA

@Steve3189

Congratulations on getting set up and ready to roll. The messages from Airbnb suggesting you reach out to your guest come a little early for my taste. I like to wait to give out certain details too. I suggest you reply with a generic welcome message telling your guests that you’re looking forward to their visit, giving a few suggestions for airport shuttles or local places to eat that you love, and end it by saying to look for more info on locks, gate code info, and house rules closer to their arrival.

In terms of helpful things to have in the house, I recommend an electric kettle (to prevent a common item left on the stove to accidentally burn) and a Mochamaster one cup coffee machine (sort of pricey but it brews a great pour-over cuppa joe) that turns off after each cup (less wasteful than a Keurig), for much the same reason: people always forget to turn off the coffee maker! If you have a great brand of coffee and individual creamers ready to go, guests who plan to shop the second day will be able to wake up to thoughtfully provided fresh coffee.

Good idea.  Check in time is 4:00 and I think the closest grocery store closes pretty early.  Having some coffee is always nice!

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

Cleaning products, cloths, etc so they can clean up during their stay.  Access to a vacuum cleaner and broom.  Leave tea towels and a disposable dish sponge. 

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

I give the unlock code at least two days prior. The day before would stress me if I was traveling a distance to get to a home. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Steve3189 The issue with unlock codes is that some guests will try to access the property earlier than they should. Do you have a system that changes the code between guests so that the new code only becomes live at the point the guest is allowed to check in?

No, I have a bunch of codes that I will rotate through, but technically they never expire.   I'd like to do something like that but a little wary of changing it over the internet or saddling my cleaning folks with that task.   We'll see how that shapes up over the season.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Steve3189 

Sending door codes and check-in info 3-5 days before arrival has always worked for me. Some people are planners and want to have a chance to study the info. Others won't look at the directions until they are en route. 

In addition to the basics (toilet paper, shampoo, etc.) here are some items I wish all Airbnbs had (from my experience as a guest):

Scissors

Pen and notepad

Wine opener

Tissues

Actual Dish soap (for handwashing  dishes if needed)

Sponges (that are clean!)

A good supply of kitchen towels (for drying hands, counters, etc.)

If possible, you want to make sure that your extra supplies are locked up and that only your housekeeper has access. Some guests will go through 6 rolls of paper towels in a week if they have access to them.

Oh yeah, I had that discussion with the cleaning folks.  Leave it unlocked and folks will use every towel.

I do have all the above items.  I bought more sponges and a few condiments.  It was nice myself to plan a PB&J sandwich only to realize I brought no jelly.  There was a squeeze thing in the fridge waiting for me!