Coronavirus and Extenuating Circumstances - A Host Perspective

Tom-And-Rene0
Level 10
Bali, Indonesia

Coronavirus and Extenuating Circumstances - A Host Perspective

We have properties in Bali.  Just a quick paraphrase of the many conversations that we are having with guests and AirBnB right now.

From Guest:

Dear Host,
We want to cancel our stay next week because of Coronavirus because we don't want to travel from Australia (70+ cases) / Germany (670 Cases) / France (653 cases) etc. etc.  to Bali (no cases at all).  We await our 100% refund.

Yours truly
Your Guest

From AirBnB:

Dear Host,
Your guest has contacted us and is unable to travel due to the Coronavirus. We have therefore given them a 100% refund under our Extenuating Circumstances Policy. I am sure you as a host are happy with this policy as if a host has to cancel a booking due to Coronavirus, we also give 100% back to the guests.  Either way the host receives no payment at all and so AirBnB is being entirely even handed and fair. 

We realise that it is now far too late for anyone else to book your property, but that is not our concern.  Our only concern is to make sure guests book through us again, and by over-riding the cancellation policy the guests agreed to and refusing to consider any travel insurance the guest may have, making the host give a 100% refund is the best way for us to do that.

We wish you all the best of luck in somehow magically finding a way to keep paying the salaries for your staff (we understand you are a fully serviced villa) and covering your villa bills and running costs and lastly finding a bit of cash for yourselves as we understand your properties your only source of income. If you don't then don't worry that is not any concern of AirBnB.

AirBnB values your business

Yours Truly
A Very Junior Person in AirBnB
123 Replies 123

@Tom-And-Rene0    I had to do a double-take, I have gotten responses from Airbnb over the phone that are eerily similar to your message.  Difficult to know what is truth, fact, parody, irony or satire these days.

Good one!

Denise1096
Level 1
Burlington, VT

So, as a cohost...my host/owner wants me to preview via phone our incoming guests to see if and where they have traveled recently.. idk how i feel about this. I’m not quite as concerned as he is panicked. Thoughts?

Denise Stanley
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Denise1096 ,

By preview we hope you mean via a voice only call to check on a guests travel within travel restricted areas. It's important not to discriminate based on someones ethnicity, race, etc! If unsure, check our Nondiscrimination Policy.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Cancel your guests if your worried.  Think the whole world is nutty as a fruit cake.  Wash hands, don't snort, sneeze and snuffle on anyone.  Be responsible in cleaning with gloves, bleach, and Lysol.  We are cleaning our own properties now so we know its properly sanitized.  Cant expect that responsibility to fall on the housekeepers.  They like to do short cuts.

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Great news! In one case Airbnb reversed their initial decision after I was able to prove to them there was no travel ban in our area. I suggest speaking out or the guest may always get their refund.

Good advise!  I am glad to hear that Airbnb actually listened to your case!

Jamie
Jenny1174
Level 2
Invercargill, NZ

I have been operating with Air bnb for 5 yrs now and this year the payments have stopped coming and are pending in my transaction list.  I contacted 1 guest due to arrive and said I may not be able to host them if I didn't get paid.  They were very upset and rightly so but I need to draw the line somewhere.  I am actually hosting them at my expense.  These guests are staying for a week.  I have tried and tried with Airbnb, messaging, emailing, phoning and the responses are thank you for your patience and understanding your case is under review.  I don't know what they are reviewing after speaking with the guest arriving next week she told me she had paid 50% when she booked some months ago and has since paid the balance.  She has now paid the total amount plus a lot more in commission fees.  Air bnb have had their fair share from my hard work and are not performing as per their terms and conditions.  I don't know how long it will be before I get the payments or if I even will get paid.  This is an absolute joke and I would not recommend this platform to anyone considering the lack of support.  I note from the list of key executive team members they are probably too top heavy with high paid staff and couldn't give a rats arse about the hosts making them the dollar.  We are just a means to their pay packet.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

These are going to tough times no matter what side of the proverbial coin your face is gracing, it will pass but it isnt like a bad storm, its more like a low grade global war against a common enemy.  One of these days were gonna say, "Do you remember that Corona thing?", Kinda like the swine flu and Sars. Stay safe and strong!  John 

Unless we can't pay our mortgage for a few months and lose our homes over this BS

Jamie

Airbnb is awful to Hosts.  Coronavirus or not.  This situation just makes that fact more extreme and obvious.

Sheila22
Level 10
New York, NY

I am sensitive to and pray for the people who are actually afflicted by the Coronavirus but natural disasters, terrorism, pandemics, sickness in the family (or self), are the very reason a person purchases TRAVEL INSURANCE. Period. If you do not do that it is because you are willing to assume the risk of the slim occurrence of these events occurring when you are scheduled to travel then that is on you.  If I don't buy house insurance and my house burns down -- it is sad but it's on me. Airbnb needs to support Hosts at this time (for a change).

Sheila22
Level 10
New York, NY

Over a year ago I had a cancellation last minute during prime holiday season based upon "extenuating circumstances" (and after investigation I saw that Guest actually still travelled to my area but booked another place on Airbnb -- so it was bogus -- I showed Airbnb the evidence of it but they did NOTHING).  At that time I voiced my disappointment with Airbnb. It was yet another example where the Host matters less to Airbnb than Guest.

At that time on the Airbnb community boards I advocated that Airbnb make sure that Guests purchase travel insurance (or at least if they opt out of purchasing travel insurance they cannot be reimbursed for any reason -- that is their gamble -- whether virus or any other unforseeable event -- there is always risk in travelling and this should be taken into account by travellers). Travel insurance is the answer to this issue!!!!! Yet Airbnb did not change their policy. 

@Sheila22   I had similar happen. I wonder if people do have travel insurance and they are just doubling their money because Airbnb makes it so easy.  If not, It is truly  amazing that there are so many irresponsible, pass the buck people (who expect others to be responsible for them and even pay them for being irresponsible)  it's so cheap, even CFAR (cancel for any reason) insurance is cheap, and many credit cards offer insurance as a package for next to nothing, all it takes is a click.

I generally do refund for cancellations, within reason. But  I have also had a few last minute - guest who is traveling with me  'broke their leg'. No telling who the guest is, could be anyone as their name is not on the reservation.

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

No matter what we say here about "airbnb should do this" or "do that", it is not going to change the fact that more people will cancel and will get their money back because as this spreads, more and more guest will be coming from infected areas.

There are just 2 options as I see it. Get used to it and if you have enough cash reserves to make it through, that is great or go to long term renting if you cannot stomach the next 6 months or so.  It really sucks and I was really ticked off about it over the last few days but have made my peace in a way. The sooner you make yours, the less pissed off you will be when you keep getting cancellations.

Well before Coronavirus it was obvious that the extenuating circumstances policy was ridiculous.  It is obvious that travel insurance is the answer.  Guests should either buy it or assume the risk themselves.  That is why travel insurance exists.  Airbnb needs to have something like a check box upon booking "Airbnb highly recommends that Guests purchase travel insurance.  If a Guest does not purchase travel insurance they are assuming the risk if they must cancel for an unforeseeable reason.  By checking this box you have read and understand this."  What is Airbnb going to do about this moving forward, after Coronavirus is behind us?  That is what I want to see.