Could Airbnb explain the hack that occurred on our accounts (Mass hosts got Airlift inquiries)

Could Airbnb explain the hack that occurred on our accounts (Mass hosts got Airlift inquiries)

Can Airbnb explain what happened that caused so many of us to get the same "personalize" inquiry for a fake month long booking? Photo attached. I reported it, then went on the FB community boards and found hosts all over the country were getting the same inquiry using our name and location to personalize the request.

An hour later - after a host said the profile had been taken down, it was still there. THIS IS NOT good. Hosts are now at risk. How does a new unvetted profile get to contact hosts? You don't give us info or photos until we accept, then ask us to explain to the guest why we are declining.

What is going on? This really freaked out my co-host. WHAT IS AIRBNB DOING TO PREVENT THIS THINGS AND PROTECT HOSTS FROM SCAMS AND HACKS?

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 12.00.58 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-06 at 12.00.16 AM copy.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-06 at 12.01.06 AM.png

14 Replies 14
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Christine615  I've read similar stories here in the past- guests whose profiles were taken down after they trashed someone's house, only for the profile to be back up a day or so later. What, they think a guest like that is going to go on to be a stellar guest the next time? Obviously Airbnb does very little to protect hosts. This particular scam message I've heard went out to thousands of hosts, although I haven't gotten any.

What was so concerning was a lot of hosts got the same message (personalized) within minutes of each other. So in this case, it's a different kind of scam and suggests the platform might be vulnerable because somehow, Airbnb allowed the profile to be active without verification then some bot targeted people across the country (world?) at the same time - all using our names and locations. 😞

@Christine615  I almost think some of these scams or hacks are inside jobs. I mean, they use call centers in the Phillipines, I'm sure the wages are low, and all these CS reps have access to all our account details. Seems like it could easily attract someone to apply for a job there who had nefarious intentions.

@Sarah977 

The telephone number listed appears to be connected to Miami

@Elena87  Back before the age of cell phones, the area codes of phone numbers corresponded to where someone lived. But with cell phone numbers, the numbers aren't like that anymore. I have lots of friends here in Mexico who use their US phone number here, because their phone plan works everywhere, or at least in North America. My daughter moved from the west coast of Canada to Toronto, yet still has the same phone number.

@Sarah977 

At work earlier , I pinged the number and the triangulation results show the phone was active near Plantation.

This scam isn't very sophisticated - if it were an 'inside job' it's likely to be more devious and target accounts to divert payments. I get this type of message on occasion too, so these scam methods spread all over the world and fade out as they become unsuccessful.

Teresa31
Level 9
Montana, United States

AGREED!!

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Airbnb Spam Surges as Scammers Target Desperate Hosts during COVID-19 – STR Insider
https://strinsider.com/airbnb-spam-covid-19/

Wow - sad. But explains a lot. Still - it must be a program that allows so many hosts to get the same personalized message within minutes of each other. That's what both horrifies and fascinates me. Platform needs more security measures.

Dorothy122
Level 3
Packwood, WA

This is bad. Thank you for sharing this.  

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Christine615 @Dorothy122 

@Teresa31 @Elena87 @Sarah977 

We had the same scam doing the rounds at the start of April, the 4th so a day before you without taking into account time zone differences, in NZ.

I see your screenshot is the 5th.

The users name was ALEX , note slight variation of name to that of AIRLIKE.

It was a different What's App number & the one in msgs was linked back to Volga, Russia.

It was reported to ABB at the time so it's in there files.

What would be interesting is if it can be tracked back via there systems & that of FBI.

The reality is whoever is behind it should be able to be tracked even if they are using VPN addresses.

One would reasonably expect @Airbnb to follow up on it through the authorities.

@Lizzie @Quincy @Francesca@Sergi @Anna @Noriko @Liv 

@Nick  & other Admins here in CC would you please establish if it was CC users who have been targeted?

Or the main platform?

@Christine615had anyone mentioned if it was reported to Police in any of the regions it was happening? Is it a cross section of ABB users in CC or primarily those who have listings on the main platform?

It's times like this to remember why msgs go through msg threads for one's own Personal Safety.

Keep safe

Right - there has got to be something wrong with the software algorithm that someone (or something) that hasn't been fully vetted can then inbox so many hosts simultaneously with a request to book. I caught on to it, but how many hosts might not?  We need more security around the platform for hosts. And Airbnb needs to eliminate the decision to "hide" identities from hosts before they approve. That's a non-starter for me.

Teresa31
Level 9
Montana, United States

I doubt Airbnb would or will do anything like following up with  the fbi or any other authority. It would put another **bleep** in their armor if word got out that we were being hacked by Russians 🤣. They will do nothing, but tell us “they’re on it”. Sorry I don’t have much faith in them over the last several years of their corporate antics. Liked them much better in the old days. Hope you all are well out in Host Land! 

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

OMG  @Christine615  , the countless triggers for my immediately wanting to hurl about halfway through reading that Horse poo are amazing.  Obviously it works or they wouldn't do it, I just can't imagine who it is that it could work on (they probably still believe  in Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy...).  I remember a sign on our supply sergeants room in Germany back in the 80's, "In God we trust, all others must sign hand receipts", I think thats good advice....  Stay well, JR