Covid-19 restrictions in Ontario

Answered!
Daljeet0
Level 2
Brampton, Canada

Covid-19 restrictions in Ontario

Hello,

I am planning on booking a place for our group. Since I am located in Ontario, Canada, we are in a 3 step re-opening of the province. 

The date I have booked falls under Stage 3 which allows larger indoor and outdoor social gatherings and organized public events.

I would like to know if the situation changes and the government issues another lockdown and the host cancels the booking, are we eligible to get a full refund?

Thank you.

Top Answer
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Daljeet0 

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2701/extenuating-circumstances-policy-and-the-coronavirus-covid19

Also be sure you’ve read the cancellation policy of the listing you want to book. 

Note that even if you book a listing with a flexible cancellation policy, “full refund” is rarely a thing with Airbnb, as Airbnb will keep the service fee you paid them under almost all circumstances.

12 Replies 12
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Daljeet0 

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2701/extenuating-circumstances-policy-and-the-coronavirus-covid19

Also be sure you’ve read the cancellation policy of the listing you want to book. 

Note that even if you book a listing with a flexible cancellation policy, “full refund” is rarely a thing with Airbnb, as Airbnb will keep the service fee you paid them under almost all circumstances.

Thank you Colleen!!

The host's cancellation policy is:

Strict: Full refund for cancellations made within 48 hours of booking, if the check-in date is at least 14 days away. 50% refund for cancellations made at least 7 days before check-in. No refunds for cancellations made within 7 days of check-in.

Sorry, but I am a bit confused if this applies only if we as guests cancel or if the host cancels?

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Daljeet0 the cancellation policy shown applies if the guest cancels. If the host cancels you should get everything back.

Appreciate that Mike/Jane. Thank you!

@Daljeet0 What Mike and Jane told you is technically correct, but If another lockdown is issued and your trip is in jeopardy, don’t assume the host will automatically cancel and that you’ll be refunded in full. Best look into travel insurance. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Colleen253 I don't think many insurance policies cover covid anymore. It is interesting as to what happens if it becomes illegal to host in Canada. Surely Airbnb would  allow a mutual no fault cancellation rather than force a host to behave illegally.

cc @Daljeet0 

@Mike-And-Jane0 No, I'm sure not many insurance companies anwhere cover covid - which is telling. I was simply making a point, in that @Daljeet0  should not assume anything, and should cover all bases. Also, I will take every opportunity to encourage guests to remember that they should have travel insurance. Too many guests make assumptions, and expect every Airbnb host to be their defacto insurance. Makes for many posts on this forum, doesn't it?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Daljeet0  If the host cancelling is not covered by the Airbnb extenuating circumstances policy, your host will not cancel from their end and you can't expect them to. 

Most guests are unaware of the penalties levied on hosts if they cancel. While guests are discouraged from cancelling because they could lose money, depending on the cancellation policy in place, hosts, A. are fined $50-$100, B. have the cancelled dates blocked by Airbnb so they can't be rebooked, C. have "Host cancelled this booking XX days before check-in" on their review page, which will make future guests wary of booking with them, D. lose their Superhost status for a year.

It's important to understand that hosts don't get off scot-free if they cancel a booking. Far from it.

Thank you for that detailed response and insight from a host's perspective.

I plan on being a host one day and this was not only valuable to know for my trip but also for the future.

Much appreciated.

Perfectly put!!

@Mike-And-Jane0   No-fault cancellation seems to be the  default solution when it's clear that the host can not legally operate. But we get into the weeds a bit when the booking can technically be fulfilled but is no longer desirable to the guest. For example, if the booking was for a large group but the allowable gathering size was reduced. Or if traveler accommodation was permitted, but the primary event guests planned to attend was cancelled due to lockdown. In those situations, the host's cancellation policy takes precedence. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Anonymous I agree and would add to your 'weeds' list the situations where the host can legally operate but travel for the guest is not possible and/or the guest would need to quarantine upon arrival negating the benefits of travel.